AC GT3 @ Imola - Sunday 1st November 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
but especially huge congrats to @Raresch for your P2 result. You had great pace. Very nice improvement. I'll try to get you next time.
Thank you mate.
I was quite impressed with my performance as well :)

My PB on quali was so intense, I was seeing only the monitor, I basically had no peripheral vision :cautious: (it's ok, I have one ultrawide monitor, not triples). Still wasn't enough to pass @Sheashant L for like 15 thousand or something.

When the race was about to start, I was thinking: "Whoa. I will have a nice battle with this guy. Don't make mistakes". And then I saw him on Meds. :cautious::confused: I was like 1.5s slower on meds, so they weren't worth it on this track for me. So I had to build the biggest gap I could. And after a pooooor start that sends me to 5th, I took back the 2nd after 2-3 laps and put the softs to work.
It was pretty lonely after that. :(:redface:

Had some problems with the backmarkers, I don't remember their names, but:
- Please keep your line while on straights. If you just exited a corner and you are on the racing line, don't jump immediately left or right. It's a straight, so you have some time to look in the mirror (F11 for those who don't see the mirror from the car) and see if the faster car had made the move yet or not. Always keep your line on straights and don't wave or brake.
- Someone was racing me at some point while I was in Variante Alta and on the way to Rivazza. I think I actually hit him. Sorry about the hit, but a small ease of throttle would have let me pass by the point of Rivazza and we would have avoided the incident.
- Someone saw me in the last moment and jumped out of the way directly out of the track. I understand that it's sometimes scary, I did that in the beginning also, but you have to keep calm and try to go wide or just keep your line. We have to make the pass clean also, not just punch every blue flag out of the way.

I am not saying this because I know better, but because I was there where you are around 1y 9m ago, when I first started and I know it's not easy to figure them out on your own. Just keep the practice on and enjoy what you do, the pace will come.

P.S. I think my new pace is because recently I did around 10 000km with the BMW M3 GT2 that has no ABS and the championship was set to 200% Tyre usage, so I had to learn how to brake more efficient. I don't brake later or anything, it's just more efficient and I keep more trail braking and I use more grip for turning.
Or maybe is just the track. We will see next Sunday ;):whistling:

Last edited:
Now that you mentioned it, I also got issues with some of the back markers. Dont want to say names here, but had almost the same issues. I was battling with Kek700 and the back marker let him pass before Villeneuve, Then just before Tosa he switched right back to the racing line in the breaking zone. Nearly crashed into him and lost like 2-3 seconds.
Also my battle with Geo was cut short, cause the overtaken car just didnt lift the throttle a bit on the start/finish straight and blocked the braking zone into Tamburello.

Like Raresch said, its sometimes difficult to keep the overview, I am still nervous when I see Chris flying behind me :D
But just have a look in the mirror and on the real time app, If two cars are very close, its most likely they fight each other, just lift the throttle a bit and let both pass. (Ofc if you are involved in a battle yourself let the car behind making the move, they have the better view on the situation)

Just dont battle for the breaking point it can really ruin the race for both.

Now that you mentioned it, I also got issues with some of the back markers. Dont want to say names here, but had almost the same issues. I was battling with Kek700 and the back marker let him pass before Villeneuve, Then just before Tosa he switched right back to the racing line in the breaking zone. Nearly crashed into him and lost like 2-3 seconds.
Also my battle with Geo was cut short, cause the overtaken car just didnt lift the throttle a bit on the start/finish straight and blocked the braking zone into Tamburello.

Like Raresch said, its sometimes difficult to keep the overview, I am still nervous when I see Chris flying behind me :D
But just have a look in the mirror and on the real time app, If two cars are very close, its most likely they fight each other, just lift the throttle a bit and let both pass. (Ofc if you are involved in a battle yourself let the car behind making the move, they have the better view on the situation)

Just dont battle for the breaking point it can really ruin the race for both.
I’m a back marker hoping to get more middle of the pack. Kind of hit plateau unfortunately. It is a bit nervous when the leaders approach as you say and you want to do the right thing. I’ll try better to hold the line and just ease off, but have experienced a little impatience from some trying to pass on corners too, especially when there’s a battle. So, if the straight is running out, and now in breaking zone area, is the passing opportunity not over? Or at least the less risky opportunity. Where can back marker go at that point besides off track or back on racing line. Just want to improve is why I’m asking.

Most of us have been backmarkers, & will from time to time see the dreaded blue flag :confused:. That said, I'm not sure about Chris. Aliens tend to dish out blue flags, not receive them :p . Anyways, just stick to the racing line and lift a little on the straights to let the lapping cars past. Whatever you do, don't feel pressured to leave the track - you're racing for position like everyone else.

Last edited:
I am also quite new to the middle of the pack so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I think, the problem Raresch and I are describing here, are drivers who made up their mind in the middle of an overtaking process and either switch back to the racing line in a breaking zone or try to make room in a dangerous area like a corner.

Ofc, the over taking car has to make the move, but if you see a car approaching fast, like 1 second or more each lap and its starting to close the gap, I think you have to decide, if you want to stay on your line, or signal the other car by making space at the beginning of the straight that you will let him pass. But then you have to lift the throttle a bit. I had a situation where I and a back marker were at the beginning of the start/finish straight, and cause I run a bit more wing, I was right next to him at the turn in for Tamburello making it difficult for me and him to get a good corner entry so we both lost time. By a simple lift at the beginning or in the middle of the straight such a situatioin would not have happen. What bugs me about it, is the fact that all of the cars I lapped in the srace and had issues with were not involved in any kind of fight but had like +20 secs to the next car.

I am just bringing this topic also up, cause, I had multiple close calls in the last race. It was when the overtaken car decided to hit the throttle again right at the moment you are beside him, to make it difficult to get into the right position for the next corner. Resulting in both cars hitting the apex almost at the same time.

Or, switching back to the racing line right in front of you before a corner. I think, if you decide to make room, you have the disadvantage on the corner and must slow down a bit. Just the saves way I guess.

Nothing happend to me this time, and I am far far away from being actually any good but I just think its important to have an eye out for faster or slower cars.

Having been the slowest and (I assume) the newest at this I'm going to take complete blame for all of your backmarker complaints. I say this based on your descriptions of events namely the start/finish straight and turn into Tamburello. I was also a bit of a pain in Tosa (turn 7), again, apologies. I suppose I have no excuses other than ignorance and thinking I was keeping out of the way when in reality I was more of a hazard. I'll try to stay calm under the pressure and not let what I see in the mirrors add to my nervousness.

- Someone saw me in the last moment and jumped out of the way directly out of the track. I understand that it's sometimes scary, I did that in the beginning also, but you have to keep calm and try to go wide or just keep your line. We have to make the pass clean also, not just punch every blue flag out of the way.
That was me and it wasn't entirely on purpose. I was losing it in the corner and felt it was safer to run off track than risk ruining your race.

Going into the race I knew I was ten seconds slower than everyone. Are slow lap times more of pain or do they just compound the frustrations?

I want to say a sincere thank you for the constructive criticism and the welcoming environment. I was really nervous about the race given my lap times and not wanting to ruin someone's Sunday night. I had fun, a little frustrating, but I'm looking forward to the next one and hopefully, someday soon, I'll be a bit more competitive.

I am also quite new to the middle of the pack so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I think, the problem Raresch and I are describing here, are drivers who made up their mind in the middle of an overtaking process and either switch back to the racing line in a breaking zone or try to make room in a dangerous area like a corner.

Ofc, the over taking car has to make the move, but if you see a car approaching fast, like 1 second or more each lap and its starting to close the gap, I think you have to decide, if you want to stay on your line, or signal the other car by making space at the beginning of the straight that you will let him pass. But then you have to lift the throttle a bit. I had a situation where I and a back marker were at the beginning of the start/finish straight, and cause I run a bit more wing, I was right next to him at the turn in for Tamburello making it difficult for me and him to get a good corner entry so we both lost time. By a simple lift at the beginning or in the middle of the straight such a situatioin would not have happen. What bugs me about it, is the fact that all of the cars I lapped in the srace and had issues with were not involved in any kind of fight but had like +20 secs to the next car.

I am just bringing this topic also up, cause, I had multiple close calls in the last race. It was when the overtaken car decided to hit the throttle again right at the moment you are beside him, to make it difficult to get into the right position for the next corner. Resulting in both cars hitting the apex almost at the same time.

Or, switching back to the racing line right in front of you before a corner. I think, if you decide to make room, you have the disadvantage on the corner and must slow down a bit. Just the saves way I guess.

Nothing happend to me this time, and I am far far away from being actually any good but I just think its important to have an eye out for faster or slower cars.
I can understand. Appreciate the reply. Another thing I can try is not to get lapped so much.

Having been the slowest and (I assume) the newest at this I'm going to take complete blame for all of your backmarker complaints. I say this based on your descriptions of events namely the start/finish straight and turn into Tamburello. I was also a bit of a pain in Tosa (turn 7), again, apologies. I suppose I have no excuses other than ignorance and thinking I was keeping out of the way when in reality I was more of a hazard. I'll try to stay calm under the pressure and not let what I see in the mirrors add to my nervousness.

That was me and it wasn't entirely on purpose. I was losing it in the corner and felt it was safer to run off track than risk ruining your race.

Going into the race I knew I was ten seconds slower than everyone. Are slow lap times more of pain or do they just compound the frustrations?

I want to say a sincere thank you for the constructive criticism and the welcoming environment. I was really nervous about the race given my lap times and not wanting to ruin someone's Sunday night. I had fun, a little frustrating, but I'm looking forward to the next one and hopefully, someday soon, I'll be a bit more competitive.
I was there just a month or so ago. At least you didn’t mess Chris’s race up like did once. Good group here. I’ve enjoyed my time.

Logan, we've all been there so don't let it discourage you to join the coming races. No one wants to kick you out for those beginners struggles. The remarks are there to help you. So please keep joining and enjoy the steep learning curve you will have in these events. If you can, you should also join the Wednesday events organised by @Medilloni . I find them more relaxed than the GT3 races and because of the diversity of the combo's you can learn other aspects of racing. And they are certainly a lot of fun too.

As you see, most of us were there too. It was hard for me to not jump out of the way. It's that feeling that: "I need not to ruin his race" and the social pressure afterwards. Just keep calm and keep your line, without sudden changes. Most guys already know how to make a clean pass. you will to, you just need practice and joining race is the only way, ofc :D

As Han says, joining other events from Monday or Wednesday night get you accustomed to the field. They usually tend to be more casual, beeing 2x25min, so you don't really need to change fuel or make a pit. You just enjoy driving.

Also, you can use the app Real time, which says the time to the car in front and back. In AC you get a blue flag with 2s warning, but no-one can pass you from 2s behind. Usually, when they are 1s behind or lower, then they can make a pass so that's when you should go and stick to a line and assist the overtaking by easing off the throttle or taking an alternative line through a turn. If there are 2 corners in succession, like, Rivazza on Imola or Lesmo on Monza, you might get cought up in the second one even with a 1.5s advantage. You need to adapt, but you can do it only while racing.

P.s. I didn't have the courage to go straight to a GT3 event when I was starting, I did a lot of smaller races at first (those 2x20) so Kudos for trying. You are always welcome and even more so when you show the progression. Keep on practicing.

Last race at algarve was my first 1 hour race ever .. my goal was to finish the race and i finished last .. and i dont want to tell you what a mess i did with blue flags i literally stopped the car .. didnt know the correct fuel level so i pitted 3 or 4 times it was so frustrating .. but it got better the next race so keep practising and see you next race!

Just a few points, I have no problem with back markers, in this series they all behave as well as you can expect anyone to act in the circumstance.
I will on occasions race online, open servers, mainly to have a reality check, and give me some experience with awkward driving experiences.
From that I must say we in Racedepartment have it really easy compared to all open online public servers.

Aliens and being blue flagged is really tricky, if they are racing as a close group, obviously racing for podiums, you have no option but to make it obvious you are out of their way. But that can cause problems, so Is it best to stay on the racing line, some of the group will be happy that you did, some will not. ( very difficult to get that right as the relative pace depending were you are on the circuit may not be very much ) ( this situation I find confusing ) ( you are usually racing too )

Problem with blue flag is your race, and all the sceneries that throws up, with Chris especially I always look at his race before he gets me, assuming it is hopefully very close to the end of the race. If I-am in a dire situation, ( relative term )
I will ignore the blue flag driver and continue racing, hope the speed difference is not to silly, and any reasonable opportunity do an lift to assist an overtake.
When you are at Chris’s level of competence you are going to deal with this easily, so if he is not closely chasing someone or has a substantial lead, I act accordingly. If his race is won and he has a good lead I just continue to race, but not race Chris, if you see what I mean, I can lift on the first straight then get a tow to make time up anyway.

With Chris and most it is easy, they have a rational outlook to the situation that presented to them, don’t need to overtake so take the first safe opportunity that presents itself. Some are very aggressive, almost to the point of punting you off in the same situation.

After all, like it or like it not, back markers, as I have said many times are a part of racing that you have to accept the rough and tumble of competitive racing, the best you can expect is curtious behaviour from all.

We could all just do qualifying and then go home..:O_o:

I really do not know what you mean Patrick.:unsure:

5C4F6573-6E97-4E35-BCAF-6B2A16D15267.jpeg

Thanks everyone for coming out last week! Apologies for the delay posting this week's event. Here it is: come join us for 60 minutes of racing action at the Red Bull Ring! :inlove:

If you can, you should also join the Wednesday events organised by @Medilloni
As Han says, joining other events from Monday or Wednesday night get you accustomed to the field. They usually tend to be more casual, beeing 2x25min, so you don't really need to change fuel or make a pit. You just enjoy driving.

I wish I could! Unfortunately, I have a class during the race and I don't think it's acceptable to Zoom and drive.

Also, you can use the app Real time, which says the time to the car in front and back. In AC you get a blue flag with 2s warning, but no-one can pass you from 2s behind. Usually, when they are 1s behind or lower, then they can make a pass so that's when you should go and stick to a line and assist the overtaking by easing off the throttle or taking an alternative line through a turn. If there are 2 corners in succession, like, Rivazza on Imola or Lesmo on Monza, you might get cought up in the second one even with a 1.5s advantage. You need to adapt, but you can do it only while racing.

Thanks for this. It's good to know the time at which the blue flag appears and it gives me a better idea of what the flag means. Less of a "get out of the way he needs to pass" and more of a warning that a faster car is behind me.

Thanks again to all for the advice and welcoming environment for growth and learning it's very much appreciated! Can't wait for the next one!

Last edited:
I think that I had my FOV somewhere between 50-60.

Previous setups
23|29|23
24x3

Edit. I think I had my outer monitors set @ a 10-15 degree angle (I used head tracking so the those monitors were more for my peripheral vision). Is your FOV calculation based on a single monitor?
Triples Pat at 43 degrees

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 167 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 320 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing