AC GT3 @ Bridgehampton - Sun 05Aug18

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Another annoying race. Great circuit, loved the Huracan again, but as with every week I race three mistakes just ruined it for me. Should have been battling with John all race, messed up, then should have caught Craig before the pitstops, messed up again, then should have caught Craig during the second stint but didn't once again due to two more stupid errors.

I'm just getting bored of the same things happening every week.
I feel you! My personal recommendation is to take a break from racing, note down all errors, fails etc on some sheet and then watch the replays, find out not what happened but why and when it happened and note that down on the same sheet.
If you can, practice these situations!

An example: battling for some time and when it clears up you start to do mistakes.
Check two things:
1. What exactly did you do wrong. Like too late braking, too rapid steering etc
2. But you can't really fix Nr 1. For the problem there would be the lack of adrenaline, coming to rest and losing concentration.

So I practiced to hotlap with music. Classical dreamy film scores, party/club music, disturbing techno, metal etc. Possibly a mix of them so you really get thrown into different states of mind.
Helped me a lot!

Also I practiced with muted sound. That's even more difficult as you lose all immersion and only hear the real life surrounding sounds!

Anyway that was a little anecdote about a possible way to fix this kind of errors :)

It was a fun race everyone :)
I am so bummed about my mistake lap 2 turn 2! Had some small frame freezes and that threw me off guard and i lost it. After that i was kind of mad and pushed like a maniac just to crash again and again :laugh:
Does anyone else have those small frame freezes? I am getting constant 100fps but it stutters sometimes :mad: #ritopls
Congrats to @Chris Down and @Bastian93 for the clean performance :cool:
Thanks to everyone for keeping it clean on the racetrack :p
Looking forward to the next race with you guys and a better participation :alien:

Does anyone else have those small frame freezes? I am getting constant 100fps but it stutters sometimes :mad: #ritopls

Usual possible causes:
  1. Sudden CPU spike by other application which causes AC to be starved for CPU and drop frames. This can be mitigated by setting AC's scheduling priority to "high" so that the scheduler is more likely to select it to run rather than whatever else wants the CPU
  2. To draw the next frame AC needs to access something from the disk, possibly a new texture, event action, or something else. You can mitigate this by putting AC on an SSD. It may also help to get more memory, even if AC is not using all of the available system memory, as this likely will cause AC data to be swapped out less aggressively.

Another annoying race. Great circuit, loved the Huracan again, but as with every week I race three mistakes just ruined it for me. Should have been battling with John all race, messed up, then should have caught Craig before the pitstops, messed up again, then should have caught Craig during the second stint but didn't once again due to two more stupid errors.

I know the feeling Matt, I don't do the hour long races very often because I really struggle to keep my concentration up. It was great following you and I was thinking you were definitely quicker than me (you had much better lines than me) and I wouldn't have got past you, but because I got sick of exactly the same thing as you, these days I try to be a metronome - consciously look at every entry, every apex 'n exit, every lap. Then I went off 3 times in the last 10 mins:roflmao:

Any road up, great race and look forward to the next one with you - take heart, this isn't a game, it's a sim, so, not meant to be easy.... I tell the missus that so she'll understand why I get so mad at myself for making mistakes:D

All the best,

John

Usual possible causes:
  1. Sudden CPU spike by other application which causes AC to be starved for CPU and drop frames. This can be mitigated by setting AC's scheduling priority to "high" so that the scheduler is more likely to select it to run rather than whatever else wants the CPU
  2. To draw the next frame AC needs to access something from the disk, possibly a new texture, event action, or something else. You can mitigate this by putting AC on an SSD. It may also help to get more memory, even if AC is not using all of the available system memory, as this likely will cause AC data to be swapped out less aggressively.

Thanks for these suggestions. I will try to set the priority high next time. Do you have any tips on how to set the priority to high permanently?
AC is on an SSD and the RAM shouldn't be an issue. I think i will have to reinstall Windows soon :confused:

So I practiced to hotlap with music. Classical dreamy film scores, party/club music, disturbing techno, metal etc. Possibly a mix of them so you really get thrown into different states of mind.
Helped me a lot!

I was listening to music during the whole practice session and only made one minor mistake so maybe I should do this during the races too.

Thanks for suggestions everyone :)

I was listening to music during the whole practice session and only made one minor mistake so maybe I should do this during the races too.

Thanks for suggestions everyone :)
You probably should!
I always race the gt3s when it's Nordschleife time again and I always prepare a Playlist with my favorite dancing/get motivated music. When my concentration fades I hit play on a long straight and get re-energized :D

Thanks for these suggestions. I will try to set the priority high next time. Do you have any tips on how to set the priority to high permanently?

Two ways I can think of:
  1. Create a shortcut which launches the AC executable using `start /high`. Not sure if this is possible since the executable might just be a shim, and then Steam launches the real executable. Worth a shot though.
  2. If that's not possible, Windows has no way to do this itself, I think, but there are applications which subscribe to new processes, and apply rules based on things like the executable name. From a quick Google it looks like there are applications which attach to Task Manager directly to provide a "save priority" button, Prio (http://www.prnwatch.com/prio/) being one of them. Disclaimer: I've never used it and have no idea about its quality or benevolence.

AC is on an SSD and the RAM shouldn't be an issue. I think i will have to reinstall Windows soon :confused:
Don't reinstall windows. It's not the holy grail of fixing stuff.
Download openhardwaremonitor and enable plotting. Check start with windows and minimized and let it run in the background.
The next time you get these spikes have a look at the graphs. Gpu load hitting 98%+? One CPU core going up?
Then work from there.

Also it might be interesting to check frametimes with msi afterburner to see what's going on. Maybe limiting fps with the Riva tuner statistics server (rtss, it comes as a symbiosis with afterburner) might make it smoother. It's the best limiter on the planet.

Then the question is:
- Monitor? 60/144 Hz, gsync freesync vsync?
- CPU model? Ac settings etc

Lots of things might causing it but if you spend some little time installing the right monitoring software you are able to nail it down very efficiently without reinstalling windows etc!

M8 you have the pace and for sure you was catching me, but honestly I am a bit your way ..while you was behind and catching, I was pushing and 100% concentration, lap after lap I put down some decent consistent lap times ..the moment you went off and lost a lot of time, I relaxed and started to think about real life issues, my laps started to rise and rise, I spoke harshly to myself and blocked everything else out, expect the race and managed to bring my lap times back to a decent pace again...please stick with it and just slap yourself once in while ...you have good pace !!! :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back