AC GT2 / GT3 @ Algarve Circuit - 1h race - Sat 01.11.14

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Yeah, there are so many basically hairpin corners on this track, it's really hard to stay in control of the entire corenring situation. Like I said, 3 screens/oculus/trackir would be a godsent here.
Definitely. I invested in TrackIR to maintain a proper FOV but also have access to mirrors just for racing. The other thing I keep looking for too (as mirrors don't show distance too well) are the red arrows. If they are pointing to either side (~100 angle), they deserve that spot and I give room. If not, they should know to give me room/brake as they haven't earned the corner. ...still my responsibility to drive my line, tho. Live tracker wasn't working properly either but that helps a lot to see car gaps.

...this track didn't help, either. So many blind corners with so much elevation change made for an interesting car control clinic for sure. I really enjoyed the challenge tho. Hope they fix the pits so we can get back there.

@Georg Siebert
regards the ferrito live tracker. I noticed that timings were not working but the name colours were. Also I'm not sure if blue flag was working or not?
Do we know what is required of a track for full features of the app (split times etc).

Regards the incidents being spoken about.
All I would say to anyone new or not is that always ask lots of questions about racing etiquette if needed (each club has a different take on it) and always make every effort to allow lapped cars to pass as quickly as possible and plan a nice spot for you to slow slightly in advance so that both of you lose the least amount of time.
The club races are a great place to learn things but it better to err on the cautious side until you become more familiar with everything.

Blue Flag was fine for me apart from I need to pay attention and not let peeps through that are not lapping me lol :roflmao:

@Georg Siebert
regards the ferrito live tracker. I noticed that timings were not working but the name colours were. Also I'm not sure if blue flag was working or not?
Do we know what is required of a track for full features of the app (split times etc).
I can only speculate and make educated guesses how the app works, if need be, please ask Fernando Deutsch about it, he wrote it after all ,)

The display of split times may require sector times or a like from the track itself. I'm sure others have noticed as well, that the ingame telemetry didn't work on Algarve either.
About the dedicated blue flag app I have no idea.

0:05 - Okay so obviously I was blue flagged, and should have let you overtake. But that aside supposing we were on the same lap, isn't driving on your line just fine? I mean, the guy who's behind and wants to overtake must choose his timing, right?

Hi Nathaniel.
I am relatively new to AC multiplayer racing too, but not multiplayer in general. My rule of thumb (and I suspect a golden rule) is that as a slower paced driver (read: not an alien with Oculus Rift, 3 screens etc and skill) I am aware at all times who is lapping me. I pull over and get right out of the way and even slow up. The guys are racing and hence need you to get out of the way.

So that's what I do. I think it's expected to be aware of their position. It's easy to do, just download one of the position apps and blue flag apps. But I am always checking my mirrors and always have name tags on. And if they are coming up on me fast, I know I ain't racing with them.

It's all just good fun. It would be nice for someone to start a race club server for noobies, and allow driving aids but cockpit only view. That would be great I think.

Cya on track mate. :thumbsup:

PS, can one of the staff set one up? Say Spa for noobies, 1 hour with 2 pitstops mandatory and cockpit only but with low aids allowed? Just a thought.:thumbsup:

Yeah, sure. I had the tracking app, and I moved out of the way of faster guys. (Most of the time. Not all the time, like the video clearly shows :|)
I was wondering about what the rules/gentlemen agreement would have been if I wasn't being lapped.

MY opinion (and it is just that) regarding the rules / gentlemans agreement that would apply in the video posted is this.

The first incident appeared to be a slight outbraking by andrey and he touched you. Luckily no spin and he did let off and didnt try to advantage himself in ot so no issues.
The second incident (around 0.27) you held your line correctly and he passed cleanly on the inside. I think you slightly touched him as you had more corener speed (as it was blue flag it would have been better if you had backed off a bit and given him more room but no real damage done) even if it was no blue flag then maybe once you had lost the corner then back off a little and not try to make it all back up in the braking zone.

The next incident @1.04. Under blue flag scenario where you had been lapped then you should not have been so close and certainly should not have tried to pass which it appears you did (especially in such a tricky corner). If you were both racing at that point then it was almost a racing incident except you should have given Andrey more room on the outside (he was pretty much at the curb and you slid into him so he had nowehre really to go (however had this been in a racing scenario then he may have may have taken a more defensive line whereas he most likely did not expect you to be trying to pass him). If it was racing and you touched him then the correct etiquette would have been to give the place back.

@1.18 you cut right in fornt of him (you my have been sliding at this point but either way it was very aggressive). Under racing situation it would still have been too agressive (you should have realised you were slow out of the previous corner and tried to defend the inside of the next corner rther than cut back).

I have no idea what you were doing at 1.28. You appeared to have recovered the slide and just cut across Andrey. Very poor move I'm afraid. You should in this situation have waited until the person you knocked off had recovered and given the place back (even if this cost you many places too).

I dont see anything wrong at 1.40 except you span but no harm done just always remember to check the track is clear before rejoining after an off.

@1.50 - no excuses I'm afraid. This looks to the outside observer that you just took him out. Whatever happened you should not have been in that situation so close. Even if this was a racing situation it should not have happened. If it did happen then you must wait for them to recover and give back the place.

I hope you dont take this personally as it is not meant that way at all.

Club races are as you say a place to learn and have fun but basic rules are still expected.

I'm sure many people on here (myself included) would be willing to offer any help they can so dont be aafraid to ask and it will make your racing much more fun when you have more confidence in that what you are doing is correct.

In short the main rules as i see them (and @Georg Siebert will correct me if i am wrong) are.
It is your responsibility if being lapped to allow the faster car to pass (you dont necessarily need to move off line but a lift of the throttle at a convinient point will help everyone (dont make them PASS you as you would in a race). Also if using TS then a call can help ( pass me on the left on then next straight or i will brake early at the next turn etc)
If you touch someone then dont take advantage of it (this is the most difficult one as lots of racing incidents can sometimes involve a touch which is just a racing incident but in general i dont take advantage of a touch especially if i touch someone from behind and push them wide).
If you cause a crash or push someone off track then ALWAYS give back the place no matter how much it disadvantages you.

If you crash always wait until a clear space on track to rejoin or join well off the racing line (accept the fact that you made a mistake and it is going to cost you positions).

Thanks

Nath

Good race for me even tho I finished last but I always aim to finish and if possible above my qualified position.

Still learning but I think I need a medal for how good I get out the way when being lapped lolz;)

To finish first - first you must finish so you have made the first step lol.
In all seriousness and without trying to sound high and mighty in any way it makes racing a pleasure for everyone when slower drivers are aware of people lapping then (and also that the lappers are not impatient and try to push there wy through). Trust me when the aliens join then it is me jumping out of the way every other lap so your not alone lol.

Hi Nathaniel.
I am relatively new to AC multiplayer racing too, but not multiplayer in general. My rule of thumb (and I suspect a golden rule) is that as a slower paced driver (read: not an alien with Oculus Rift, 3 screens etc and skill) I am aware at all times who is lapping me. I pull over and get right out of the way and even slow up. The guys are racing and hence need you to get out of the way.

So that's what I do. I think it's expected to be aware of their position. It's easy to do, just download one of the position apps and blue flag apps. But I am always checking my mirrors and always have name tags on. And if they are coming up on me fast, I know I ain't racing with them.

It's all just good fun. It would be nice for someone to start a race club server for noobies, and allow driving aids but cockpit only view. That would be great I think.

Cya on track mate. :thumbsup:

PS, can one of the staff set one up? Say Spa for noobies, 1 hour with 2 pitstops mandatory and cockpit only but with low aids allowed? Just a thought.:thumbsup:

Good idea. If TS is used maybe a few of the more experienced racers could watch and possibly offer some advice if requested??

I guess this is kind of like the training sessions offered for premium memebers though?

mod-edit: consolidated for you, please keep the forum tidy

Last edited by a moderator:
[...] It would be nice for someone to start a race club server for noobies, and allow driving aids but cockpit only view.
We have a 24/7 server for practice purposes. A place for you to race together. However, even on this one driving aids mimic those of the Club races; pits stops & driver views can't be set by the server.

[...]I was wondering about what the rules/gentlemen agreement would have been if I wasn't being lapped.
I don't know which situation you mean - I can clarify any rules you ask about

On the topic of lapping:
I watched the replay of yesterday's race and our situation into T1, Nathaniel.
I don't know what that was, anything but clean moves. To my detriment, I had a too shallow line into T1 and did brake too late, you were on the racing line and carried much more speed through the corner. We had contact afterwards, I had to correct the car. Fortunately, Geoffroy, who was in the Ferrari GT2 right behind, stayed out of it.

-> Lapped or about to be lapped cars have no business fighting the lead cars for track position.
Just pick a reasonable spot to let them through or lift the throttle on the straight and be done with it. Most of the time the racing instinct of the lead driver will kick in and go for a pass.

I don't want to patronize you, Nathaniel, both Nathan & myself critizied your driving style. Just please be more careful and decisive on track in the future.

I guess this is kind of like the training sessions offered for premium memebers though?
Yes, driver development takes place in our academy lessions accessible for Premium members.

Thanks a bunch for the comprehensive reply @Nathan Pearce . All the advice and help goes greatly towards making me a better driver. I really appretiate your time. :)

I've uploaded a video, to show my point of view. I think the most dominant thing (in my newb opinion) is that things look more mild from where I was sitting. I didn't imagine they looked quite as bad from the other guy's car. :S Really good experiences, these. :) All goes towards making me a better racer.

Anyway, the first part won't be as interesting to you, it's just that I want to show you I'm not a complete dick. I span, and I gave away all the places I had.

Oh, about the part at 0:15, I've talked to @Georg Siebert about this. I was blue flagged, but than in corner 1, I was decidedly faster (for whatever reason). So should I have stayed behind georg at all costs? Meaning I'd get overtaken by one more driver.

EDIT: ah you've just posted about this, before I did. :) Yeah, that basically wraps that up. :D
Except that I don't know where we touched... In t1?
--Oh, and how could you be patronizing? You are more skilled than me, and any criticism is well placed. Learn from mistakes, right?

Anyway, the thing that you'll find interesting starts at 0:44.
The second incident (around 0.27) you held your line correctly and he passed cleanly on the inside. I think you slightly touched him as you had more corener speed (as it was blue flag it would have been better if you had backed off a bit and given him more room but no real damage done) even if it was no blue flag then maybe once you had lost the corner then back off a little and not try to make it all back up in the braking zone.
I followed my racing line, and than when I saw i had a faster one i lifted. I mean, I don't want there to be any grief. He made me loose speed and got the place. Payed it with a little bump.

The next incident @1.04. Under blue flag scenario where you had been lapped then you should not have been so close and certainly should not have tried to pass which it appears you did (especially in such a tricky corner). If you were both racing at that point then it was almost a racing incident except you should have given Andrey more room on the outside (he was pretty much at the curb and you slid into him so he had nowehre really to go (however had this been in a racing scenario then he may have may have taken a more defensive line whereas he most likely did not expect you to be trying to pass him). If it was racing and you touched him then the correct etiquette would have been to give the place back.
Next 1:20 in my video. I basically just tried following my racing line. Disregarding the blue flag again, obviously. But I am convinced I did nothing wrong here. Senna himself said: . »And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win.« And to my eyes, what I did here was go for a gap the opponent provided me. In my opinion here, he took the slower line. He should have faced that he'll loose a place. It was basically the referse of what happened at his pass... –Again!!! Ignoring the blue flag.

@1.18 you cut right in fornt of him (you my have been sliding at this point but either way it was very aggressive). Under racing situation it would still have been too agressive (you should have realised you were slow out of the previous corner and tried to defend the inside of the next corner rther than cut back).
My video 1:35 his Look at my steering input and tyre grip. I drove on the green bit. I didn't increase my steering input, the car slid. Do you suppose when this happens I should break and loose places, and play it safe or do what I did? I mean, I guess it comes down to the situation, right?

I have no idea what you were doing at 1.28. You appeared to have recovered the slide and just cut across Andrey. Very poor move I'm afraid. You should in this situation have waited until the person you knocked off had recovered and given the place back (even if this cost you many places too).
1:45 Damn, it looks such a minute mistake from my view. :S

Last edited:
I forgot about the 24/7 server but that is a good option for practice (not sure what cars are on there right now).

Regards your video Nathaniel.
You are right it does look slightly less drmatic from your perspective. I think pretty much all the situations have arisen because you have ended up in slightly the wrong position. When you re-caught Andrey coming into T11 in the blue flag situation you should have backed oof a little (it is possible he made a mistake going into the turn or possibly he takes a different line to you) but either way it is not worth you re-taking the place. If that were a racing situation then it was almost a great move except you drifted to far out and touched him (he had nowhere else to go so could not really be his fault).

PRactising racing is very different to hotlapping and reuires a different set of skills and driving technique so i recommend you risking the chaos that can be open servers and get as much racing experience as possible.
Dont worry about being quick or winning straight away just try and practice racing cleanly and the speed will come (and try not to get frustrated when you get taken out by someone :) )

Thanks

Nath

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 300 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%