AC GT2/E @ VIR - Friday, August 25, 2017

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
C. You have guys like myself that aren't too quick. It's up to me and my judgement as to when to let you by at my earliest convenience. We try really hard to stay out of your way so please be patient with us. What may be an obvious opportunity to you may not be obvious to me.
Absolutely. I'm not complaining about the fact that i stayed behind for a whole sector (so it's not like i expected to overtake him immediatly). I complain about the fact that VR users apparently have the excuse to not be aware. My point is that if your hardware creates you a problem (lack of awareness in this case), it's your job to do everything you can to solve it and not become a problem to others. If i hit someone on my left, i will never say "well, i have a single screen, i can only see in front of me". Some people cares too much about realism and stop caring about safety. VR gives you the possibility to watch in your mirrors, helicorsa shows you close cars and the sound tells you if a car is close to you.

Absolutely. I'm not complaining about the fact that i stayed behind for a whole sector (so it's not like i expected to overtake him immediatly). I complain about the fact that VR users apparently have the excuse to not be aware. My point is that if your hardware creates you a problem (lack of awareness in this case), it's your job to do everything you can to solve it and not become a problem to others. If i hit someone on my left, i will never say "well, i have a single screen, i can only see in front of me". Some people cares too much about realism and stop caring about safety. VR gives you the possibility to watch in your mirrors, helicorsa shows you close cars and the sound tells you if a car is close to you.

Matteo, you seem to have an issue with VR, while you don't even know if the driver you are complaining about was using it.
I just pointed out what are the issues with VR, and things you cannot impose, like virtual mirror or flags position, but I use it for 2 years so I have my way around them.
Don't create problem where it doesn't exist.

Matteo, you seem to have an issue with VR, while you don't even know if the driver you are complaining about was using it.
I just pointed out what are the issues with VR, and things you cannot impose, like virtual mirror or flags position, but I use it for 2 years so I have my way around them.
Don't create problem where it doesn't exist.
I have no problem with VR. What i'm saying is that having VR is not an excuse for not being aware. In fact, as many VR users say, it increase awareness. You brought VR into the conversation, i didn't. My point remain, VR or not VR, every driver has to do anything necessary to be aware of what's around him.

one thing that is being overlooked is the abysmal documentation for assetto corsa. realtime isn't explained ANYWHERE that i found, and in vr the flags aren't visible at all unless you happen to look pretty far back out of the upper driver side window. i went off when the lead pack came through so it wasn't an issue for me but let's try and find solutions so this doesn't become an issue since we are doing longer races and lapping is going to be a constant feature going forward.

remember we are all required to have teamspeak up and running. keeping it muted and not bothering to listen doesn't really help anyone and defeats the purpose of having quick and easy communication with others on the track. all it really takes is to say a quick "i'm comin up to lap you" if the person isn't responding to the situation and things will be much easier for everyone. lets not forget this is and has been an ongoing issue in real racing involving highly paid and skilled drivers so let's not get our expectations too high for those of us who do this for entertainment. like most everything in life, communication solves most problems, but you have to listen..

i found this app i'm going to install and try out. maybe having vettel whine about blue flags will help!!
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/spotter-sebastian-vettel-blue-flag.127435/

anyway, to have a high amount of finishers and the only real serious issue was due to lag at the start, i'd say it was a pretty good race overall.
I mute Teamspeak during the race and qualifying because the people chatting with each other distracts me. I ain't no alien and running decent times while not going off track requires 100% attention from me. If everyone kept silence I would likely use it, but since this is not the rule I simply turn it off. I don't use virtual mirror either, but pay attention to the real one and if it comes to someone lapping me I would not need a reminder. Even without real-time app there's common sense and if in the middle of a race you see someone coming really fast at you that's probably a leader and not one of those who are on the same lap as you. I also usually flash my lights when catching up with a lapping car, that should be easily visible in the mirror. And VR users might want to install CrewChief app that will tell you about blue flags.

I mute Teamspeak during the race and qualifying because the people chatting with each other distracts me. I ain't no alien and running decent times while not going off track requires 100% attention from me. If everyone kept silence I would likely use it, but since this is not the rule I simply turn it off.

Well then it defies the whole purpose of TS.
I don;t think the rules require it just because, I think it is there to communicate, and if you turn the volume to mute, you miss the communication, like when admins where talking about track limits, which Matteo clearly missed, given his previous post.
I will bring it to the admins, because those who mute their TS are bringing an unnecessary danger on others, and frankly are using it as an excuse for not knowing what's going on.

I will bring it to the admins, because those who mute their TS are bringing an unnecessary danger on others, and frankly are using it as an excuse for not knowing what's going on.
Never caused an incident, yet i bring an unnecessary danger to others...This conversation is starting to amaze me, wish i had popcorns.

Well, you were involved in a few incidents, so definitely safe driver you aren't ;)
You mean one incident, the one where i saw the car in front of me losing 5 meters on a straight. Anyway, if you think i'm dangerous, you clearly don't know me. I will now stop feeding the troll.

not to beat a dead horse, but being unaware of something isn't the same as disregarding or being willfully ignorant of it. i've only had assetto for about 3 weeks and i'm learning as i go. I don't believe i was holding anyone up myself, and i know for a fact i accidentally let someone through because i couldn't tell if they were lapping me or not. i asked on teamspeak and received a reply from the person behind me that it was for position. i know that's on me to figure out and i'm actively trying to find solutions for it. i didn't even know there were in-race flags until after the race when i hopped in a public lobby and just happened to be looking out my "window" when a yellow popped up, it really is that hard to see in vr. it's not really a "fault" issue, it's just poor implementation on assettos end. there are work arounds, but you have to be aware of the problem to begin with otherwise you're not going to even know it exists.

Just to re-iterate, teamspeak would solve virtually all of these issues that arise during a race/practice/qualy, regardless of whether it's inconvenient. i know in the past i've been the fast guy and i've been the slow guy and it's all about perspective. when you're competing for the lead it's easy to expect everybody to take things the same way you do but you have to realize there are usually people competing from a wide range of abilities in this type of event. talking these issues out in a logical manner is the best way to resolve them quickly and to everyone's benefit.

really good race. and loved the track! can't wait for the next one!

Well then it defies the whole purpose of TS.
I don;t think the rules require it just because, I think it is there to communicate, and if you turn the volume to mute, you miss the communication, like when admins where talking about track limits, which Matteo clearly missed, given his previous post.
LOL, I know what's going on and usually do not bring any danger to the race and neither does Matteo even though we mute TS. If you want everyone to listen I think there should be a rule to avoid unnecessary banter during the race. Believe it or not, but even though these are club races some guys here come to battle and win and not just to hang out with other guys which can be done before or after the race. If some people want to talk to each other during the race I think there's an option of private channels, so that it would not bother anyone else. I also think that it is everyone's responsibility to be aware of what's going on in the race and play it safe. I was following them and Matteo did not make any risky moves, he was obviously hoping that the car ahead would make some space and let him go, but it didn't happen and when he braked at an odd spot to avoid bumping that slow car he lost it. I can completely understand his frustration because he was running very good laptimes and probably would have won this race. Losing a race or a podium position because of a backmarker car sucks, been there done that. And I don't see how anyone could see his post as an angry one. I'd say it was pretty reserved, especially for an Italian :D

giphy.gif

I mute Teamspeak during the race and qualifying because the people chatting with each other distracts me. I ain't no alien and running decent times while not going off track requires 100% attention from me. If everyone kept silence I would likely use it, but since this is not the rule I simply turn it off. I don't use virtual mirror either, but pay attention to the real one and if it comes to someone lapping me I would not need a reminder. Even without real-time app there's common sense and if in the middle of a race you see someone coming really fast at you that's probably a leader and not one of those who are on the same lap as you. I also usually flash my lights when catching up with a lapping car, that should be easily visible in the mirror. And VR users might want to install CrewChief app that will tell you about blue flags.

I agree about the TS thing. I'm tempted sometimes to mute it, but I don't want to miss the handful of useful information that gets tossed around. I don't mind the banter during practice, but it gets pretty distracting during the qualifying and race sessions, especially since I'm pretty bad at blocking out distractions like that.

i know in the past i've been the fast guy and i've been the slow guy and it's all about perspective. when you're competing for the lead it's easy to expect everybody to take things the same way you do but you have to realize there are usually people competing from a wide range of abilities in this type of event. talking these issues out in a logical manner is the best way to resolve them quickly and to everyone's benefit.
Have you seen the race results and the gap between the first and the second place? It was one car body length and 0.081s if I remember correctly. That's why nobody likes to lose seconds being stuck behind a slow guy for half a lap. Sometimes a few tenths (or even less like in this case) are what defines the outcome of a race. You work hard to get away or to catch up with the car ahead, just a few tenths per lap maybe, only to have it all disappear in an instant because of no fault of your own. I'm not sure that talking it out during the race is the best way to deal with that. Different abilities or not, but unwritten rule #1 should be "don't become a liability"

Got stuck against the fence turn 3, by the time I pitted and got back out, I was just in the way of all the front runners, spent too much time trying to get out of the way.
This well-known bug is what ruins this otherwise beautiful mod and was the reason why ACRL dropped it from the track roster. I don't understand why the authors don't want to fix it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back