AC GT2/E @ VIR - Friday, August 25, 2017

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Blue flag doesn't require you to let drivers past.
Common sense and courtesy, however, wouldn't go amiss. A leader shouldn't expect a backmarker to let them through, only to have their own race severely compromised because they're battling another driver for position. But equally, if that backmarker isn't in a heated battle, the courteous thing to do is let leaders through as to not compromise their race.

I've been on both sides of this and I understand the sting that comes with being lapped but sometimes races go your way and sometimes they don't. And just because you're getting lapped in one race doesn't necessarily mean it'll be that way for the next one. I've seen many examples of guys who started out at the back of the field but progressively got quicker and quicker with every race.

Its simple as that guys. Nothing more and nothing less.

Blue flag doesn't require you to let drivers past.
Common sense and courtesy, however, wouldn't go amiss. A leader shouldn't expect a backmarker to let them through, only to have their own race severely compromised because they're battling another driver for position. But equally, if that backmarker isn't in a heated battle, the courteous thing to do is let leaders through as to not compromise their race.

I've been on both sides of this and I understand the sting that comes with being lapped but sometimes races go your way and sometimes they don't. And just because you're getting lapped in one race doesn't necessarily mean it'll be that way for the next one. I've seen many examples of guys who started out at the back of the field but progressively got quicker and quicker with every race.

Its simple as that guys. Nothing more and nothing less.
This is why I'm promoting you to the US AC Ambassador role. Welcome aboard Mr. Ambassador.......your new nickname is well deserved:D:D

Guys, I hate to add to this, but, a blue flag is to let a potential lapped car know that a faster driver, usually a front runner, is approaching.

It is NOT up to the slower driver to pull over and let you by just because your are close enough, in fact it is up to the faster driver to make the pass in a safe manner and at a position of the track that is safe for both cars, this means the faster guys need to exercise caution until it is safe to pass, even if it means losing time, and not attempt to pass in a tight area of the track, were an incident may arise due to impatience.

It is also the slower drivers right to maintain the racing line, but to roll off the throttle a bit to help facilitate the overtake, unless he is in a position to move off the racing line (like on a straight) and wishes to do so, common sense must prevail, as it would in a real life racing.

Team speak makes it easier to let faster guys pass us slower guys, as we can let you know when and were to pass, but if you faster guys mute TS then have issues with overtaking the slower guys because we cant alert you to what we are doing, then it's out of our hands and accidents will happen.
I have no issues moving over when being lapped, but will only do it if it's safe for me to do so, it is up to you as the faster car/driver to make the pass when it is safe to do so.

This is an outline of the official Blue flag rules in real world racing, I'm quoting this as a flag Marshall with CAMS (Confederation Australian Motor Sport) who are affiliated with the FIA.

If the goal of what we're doing here is to simulate what is about in real life, I agree to disagree with the concept of using TS to communicate between drivers while in a racing session. TS to my knowledge has the only purpose for the Steward to reach out for any critical information during both qualifying and racing session and any misuse between drivers is and should be forbidden for obvious reasons.

About lapping, well, we all know what to do when a faster car leading the race is approaching. Just put our ego aside, lift the throttle and pretend to be a gentleman driver while tipping the hat.

Especially in these club races where there are no points to be collected after crossing the finish line.

The point wans't about blue flags though. I did not attempt a pass in any dangerous place. My only concern was awareness when on track. Blue flag or not, every driver need to be aware of a car approaching or attempting an overtake. He didnt let me pass because he didn't know i was there, not because he decided to not respect the blue flag.

About lapping, well, we all know what to do when a faster car leading the race is approaching. Just put our ego aside, lift the throttle and pretend to be a gentleman driver while tipping the hat.

Especially in these club races where there are no points to be collected after crossing the finish line.
And this works both ways because fast or slow it's not the end of the world as you've pointed out about Club race and no points.

I hope we've finally put this to bed. All parties involved have reached out to one another, were mature gentlemen about it and moved on.

Thank you all for your input, especially you @Andrew Scott You had no dog in the hunt and just offered a Real Life Marshall's knowledge to the table. A Convict with a flag in his hand smh:D:D:D Probably one of these
df6aa4e25b9cb79cf2361d8ffda8bf8a--jolly-roger-flag-skull-and-crossbones.jpg

but I digress:p:p:p:p:p

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back