AC GT2/E @ Monza - Friday July 21st 2017

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@Bobby Pennington

My apologies for bombing out mate, but in light of the fact my race was ruined by poor form got to me, it’s extremely disappointing that even after all the pre race talk re 1st turn mayhem, someone still created carnage and ruined other drivers races.

I do feel a restart was in order due to the fact so many guys were affected by the incident, but that was your call and I respect the decision to allow the race to continue.

I will not be reporting it as I don’t think a 1 month ban teaches anything, just pisses people off, and potentially creates a bad taste so they don’t return period, which is not what we want to see.

I’m taking a few weeks off from online events, as right now I’m pretty pissed off, I spent many hours honing my laps, and this was my reward?. Sorry If I’m coming across as a cry baby, but if you spent as many hours as I did practicing, you too would be as disappointed as I am, this is why I rarely practice, it saves all that disappointment come race day.

Cheers
Hey Andrew, I completely feel with you about this race.
I couldn't practice as much as you did as of a very busy work week, but I too put in a fair bit of time to build a solid setup and improve my lap times (Monza never was my favorite track and it really is a hard nut to crack).

Somehow it was not possibly on race day to replicate that fastest qualifying lap we did on the practice server a few days ago, but at least I started well within the top ten contenders.

I went into the first turn v e r y carefully, driving like on raw egg shells, giving the 5 or 6 guys in front plenty of space to sort themselves out.

Then it all went downhill - I felt someone hitting me from the back, spinning me out and dropping me down the field from 6th to 15th place or worse.

I was feeling EXACTLY the same way you did.
I was pissed to put it mildly.

After a few deep breaths (and a few friendly curses to calm the nerves) I politely asked Bobby if a restart is a possibility.
He politely turned down that request and I accepted - word of the race director is final - no arguments about that in a race brings any good.

From 15th then it was to enter this 1 hour race - my strategy was in the can but after a few laps the blood pressure went back to normal and I looked forward to a catchup race, which I did.

I believe I finished in the same position I started the race in (6th or 7th) - THE IRONY !!!

Now to that 1st corner incident that took us out.

I watched the replay and here is how I see it what happened.
- I approached the first chicane carefully, giving space but as I saw nobody left or right of me in the breaking zone I used the ideal line
- I simply assumed everyone behind me would take a similar careful approach after all the first corner incident discussions we all had so many times and we always seemed to agree and understand this the exact same logic and careful way (the old mantra: race is not won in the first corner, leave space, don't dive bomb, yada yada yada)
- a Porsche 911 RSR went fast and wide into the first right hand corner of the chicane (I never saw that one coming as it came from behind me and was not beside me inside the breaking zone)
- that Porsche then turned into me, as he tried to avoid the big kerb of the left hand turn of the chicane, bumping my driver side door and spinning me around off the track
- a third Porsche directly after could not avoid Porsche No 2 and bumped into Porsche No 2, pushing him onto the big sausage kerb ending his race in a spin
- I recovered from my spin off track, reentered the track and continued the race from the end of the field

Porsche No 2 was you Andrew :(
Porsche No 3 was Daniel

The way I see it in the replay, this was a racing incident - due to our contact both our races were compromised.
I believe you were too late on the brakes into this chicane and would I not have been there you would just about have made the chicane.
I was there - I simply did not see you coming.

I am sad it turned out to ruin both our races.
I really, really hope you reconsider your break from online racing - it would be a terrible loss for the bunch of people around and I hope talking to you soon on the Teamspeak - I wish I could buy you a cold one and we could talk this over in some dirty, dinky old pub here in Shanghai.

Tomorrow is a fun little relaxed event with the BMW M235i - what better chance to talk about it and have a go at each other.

Peace my friend :)

Those who approach this chicane from the right side should leave some space to the other car in the second part of the chicane unless that other car is completely behind. And don't even think about going 3-wide there as the blue car tried, that's a recipe for disaster.
T1a.jpg

T1b.jpg

But I can assure you that on a typical public server Monza T1 is often much worse, so don't blame yourself too much ;)

@menos | M6

All good mate, and I fully agree, just a racing incident, but you did turn in on me :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:laugh::laugh::laugh:.

I was on the brakes going into the left hand exit apex as I knew there would be limited space at the apex but I didn’t expect you to shut the door, and poor Daniel had nowhere to go but into my left rear, which is what spun me I guess, definitely not his fault, or yours for that matter, you didn’t realise I was there so you took your normal line, as your entitled too. Guess I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time……….AGAIN………
story of my sim-racing career it would seem:whistling::whistling:, so no need to discuss it further mate, what’s done is done and I’ll live to race another day.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers

I really hope you are showing up to the all fun and games M235i club race tomorrow mate.
Everyone has got the same car, T1 is tight and these BMWs can take a little bump without getting them out of shape.

Too bad you couldn't stay on the server today. I had the same feeling about T1 as you did (ask the guys who had to listen to my cursing and rambling for the first 3 laps - or was it 5 laps?). When that happened, I thought I got bumped out of nowhere from behind - I never realized what actually happened as you came in so quick while I had my eyes focussed on giving the Corvette ahead of me some space as it was in a little tussle.

Look, however hard it gets with the frustration of such an incident, the race right after is almost always worth racing. I recovered from that position down the timing sheet and so would you have with ease.

There are those incidents when you just want to rip the computer with wall plug out of there and throw it out the window, douse it in gasoline and see it burning (I have that sometimes) … but racing instead heals from the disaster + its fun - not for the ears of the guys who have to suffer from the rambling I am sure ;-)

On another note how were the cars? Did the bop work well?
BoP is ok. The poor BMW is a lost cause on high speed tracks. I was looking for some updated settings, but had none available for me to use. It still works out that some guys can win or podium in any car. Those of us with less talent can still have fun if we pick a car that some of our friends that have the same pace as we do.

After a few deep breaths (and a few friendly curses to calm the nerves) I politely asked Bobby if a restart is a possibility.
He politely turned down that request and I accepted - word of the race director is final - no arguments about that in a race brings any good.
Thank you Dirk
I am sad it turned out to ruin both our races.
I really, really hope you reconsider your break from online racing - it would be a terrible loss for the bunch of people around and I hope talking to you soon on the Teamspeak - I wish I could buy you a cold one and we could talk this over in some dirty, dinky old pub here in Shanghai.
Me too Dirk.

There are those incidents when you just want to rip the computer with wall plug out of there and throw it out the window, douse it in gasoline and see it burning (I have that sometimes) … but racing instead heals from the disaster + its fun - not for the ears of the guys who have to suffer from the rambling I am sure ;-)
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Yes it did get a bit much on the ears:p but you stuck it out and clawed and scratched your way to a very respectable position:thumbsup: That's what I try to do as well.

My apologies for bombing out mate, but in light of the fact my race was ruined by poor form got to me, it’s extremely disappointing that even after all the pre race talk re 1st turn mayhem, someone still created carnage and ruined other drivers races.
Apology accepted, but not needed mate. I agree with the first turn statement and would probably apply it to turn 2, 3 and 4 on some tracks. So early to write your chances off when there is 59:30 left in a race for a position.
I do feel a restart was in order due to the fact so many guys were affected by the incident, but that was your call and I respect the decision to allow the race to continue.
I appreciate that Andrew.
I will not be reporting it as I don’t think a 1 month ban teaches anything, just pisses people off, and potentially creates a bad taste so they don’t return period, which is not what we want to see.
I understand, but remember sometimes you are doing someone a favor because none of us wants the reputation of "That Guy". You are also protecting the field and club when doing so. PM with the person involved is always the best first approach. I've seen so many incidents handled in this way and the guys earn each others respect along the way.
I’m taking a few weeks off from online events, as right now I’m pretty pissed off, I spent many hours honing my laps, and this was my reward?. Sorry If I’m coming across as a cry baby, but if you spent as many hours as I did practicing, you too would be as disappointed as I am, this is why I rarely practice, it saves all that disappointment come race day.
You should have played golf at the level I did. You want to talk about major heartache. It's what turns so many people off. Me on the other hand, I'm hard headed and it makes me more determined. It's carrying over to Sim Racing now. Get my butt handed to me all the time. Finished in dead last in Monday nights Audi TT Cup race. I'm total:poop: but I don't care because it's about you guys more than the racing for me. When I find myself spun off by someone else or my own stupid actions I continue on and try to climb through the field, find new lines, practice being overtaken by the leaders or just try hot (slow in my case) lapping and see if I can improve:thumbsup:

Guys I'm sorry for the slow response. I wish I could have done it in real time, but the Devil looked at me Friday night and bailed because it was so hot in my house with a broken Air Conditioner. 92 F in your house with high humidity will make a preacher curse:D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 141 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.3%