GT2 and other SimBin games don't launch or are stuck in graphics settings loop

First go to your GTR2 folder (...\Steam\steamapps\common\GTR 2 - FIA GT Racing Game) and run GTR2Config.exe from there maybe?
I also just moved to a new PC with Windows 10 and had to choose running it in compatibility mode for Windows 7.

And if you still have problems .... don't forget to launch this GTR2config.exe with .... Administrator rights.
I also have Win10 .... and this is absolutely needed in my case, else those config settings aren't applied.

Apologies if this thread is too old to reply to, but I had the same issue. I'm running Windows 10 64bit and do not need to run the game in compatability mode. I ended up fixing it by having to set the preferred GPU to my graphics card instead of the "Integrated graphics" processor. I made this change to both the GTR2.exe and the GTR2config.exe in the Nvidia Control Panel. Before when I opened the config exe it only showed the integrated gpu, after the change it listed the Nvidia GPU and the game ran just fine after that. To do this for Nvidia cards, you need to open Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > "Program Settings" tab > Click on "Add" and then click on "Browse." Then just navigate to the games directory and add both of the exe files to the program list and in the drop down box under "Preferred graphics processor" choose your Nvidia card and click apply. You need to do this for both of the files. Then run the config file and choose your GPU and it should work fine after that If you have an AMD chipset gpu, I'd imagine there's a way to choose which GPU you want to use. A quick Google search would probably give you a ton of results on how to do it. Hope this helps anyone that may be experiencing this issue as well.

Hi there. Thanks for your input NotMartin. Setting the graphics card in the NVidia Control Panel helped to launch all my Simbin games, however I got a strange flickering effect in about 30% of the higher screen area, mainly trees and background figures flick all the time. I tried absolutely everything (anti aliasing, vertical sync... both in the games graphics settings and my video card settings) without any success. Anyone came across this issue before?

Same here, but I thought it was an AMD 5700 GPU specific problem as I encounter such since my change. Neither have any AA and AF. Had everything working before with a 580 GPU. The only working "Simbin" sourced title is Automobilista. So I'm in the same boat

I had this flickering with ENBseries plugin that's why I do not use it anymore, I suggest to use either SweetFx or ReShade instead.

Did you set Administrator + WinXp compatibility for ALL EXE ?

By the way AUTOMOBILISTA is from REIZA and not SIMBIN studio, maybe you are talking about the game engine which is the same ISI GMOTOR2 (with little differences though) in rf1/GTL/GTR2/AUTOMOBILISTA :)

That is only temporary solution, when you do a fresh OS you will need to do ALL admin and Compat. settings again
A fresh OS resets all and if you have many GTR2 PnG and GTL folders then many edits

Just drag all files you want to change to AVC window and set mode for all in a click

Then before any fresh OS all you need do is export the registry of AVC and import back

There are other tools you can put in ACV ... like 7 zip , winrar and Runaff just a few
i also use " change settings for all users "

Set everything to W7 mode ....then you can select ALL and set to W7 in 1 hit instead of some XP and some W7 makes no sense to me

Last edited:
Did try both compatibility modes, WinXP n Win7 - but nothing. The worst looking game is Race07. It's unplayable with its no AA, no AF working state and the environment colours like ground- tree- gras- textures are all wrong which is a real shame.
This all happened after change from a RX580 to a RX5700.

Also if the shader thing might help than why does Automobilista work as I choose the No Shader configuration there?

I wonder if a process manager might not help in this case ... Process Lasso or Bill2's Process Manager... in order to use all cores.

I also suppose you chose the 32bit resolution and not the 16?
Are you sure your GTR2Config.exe is launched with admin rights ?

There must be something creating this problem ... surely in the look of those games you're explaining here.

W11 for me.

Tried:

Installed DX9
Ran both CONFIG.EXE and main exe as administrator -> windows 7 compatibility mode
Went to NVIDIA panel and changed all to NVIDIA for both main exe and config
Moved to root C:\

Nothing works.

The graphics settings menu pops up every time when I try to launch the game. When I press start, the graphics settings menu pops up again.

I bought the full package of these old games (like 10) from Steam from this manufacturer and NONE of them work. Crazy.

Last edited:
I have the same pack plus I owned them on CD/DVD
I just installed GTR2 Steam to my modern sim tower ( things I do lol )
dragged it out added the GTR2 NO CD
set config exe to windows 7 compat mode ( all users)
Did 3D
set GTR2 to admin ( all users)
Booted okay

If I remove admin from GTR2.exe and boot it loops to 3d config and is greyed out
Put admin back it works.

Did you select 32bit in 3dconfig, don't select 16bit.
Scroll down for 32bit.

Also try setting admin for all users.

Untitled 2.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back