Alright when was that again.....?

Would Senna be Senna without Prost? Would Clark be Clark without Surtees & Brabs & &....
The trouble with Hamilton is, early on he had competition. But the last 4 to 6 years have just become, as stated above, boring. The best seasons over the last almost decade or so were Lewis winning on the last 1/4 lap at Sao Paulo and Nico holding on for his championship. The rest have been snooooooze fests. Without a comparable opponent, (i.e. Schumacher/Hakkinan) the season suffers. Plenty of exciting races within those seasons, but once Mercedes figures out their car, the season ends.
That's the same old excuse, and that is exactly what it is - an excuse. Hamilton is with the better team, and he ads to the team to make it a formidable partnership. Teammates are driving these same cars, using the exact same standards and yet he's the only one doing what he has done with the given equipment week in and week out. Ferrari first of all is poorly managed, and they have employed sketchy drivers. Lewis is clearly the best of the field when you check the boxes. The car thing is an excuse that some have to tell themselves for whatever reason.

Can someone please explain the "Styrian" name to me? I saw it as Syrian GP on the news and was quite surprised to think F1 was in Syria for this GP, lol

Can someone please explain the "Styrian" name to me? I saw it as Syrian GP on the news and was quite surprised to think F1 was in Syria for this GP, lol
Styria ("Steiermark" auf Deutsch) is the region of Austria in which Spielberg and the Red Bull Ring are located.

Ostensibly, F1 opted to call Red Bull Ring Round 2, "Styrian" to distinguish it from last week's Austrian GP.

I Would venture that the "problem" of recognition of Hamilton, beyond the obviously partial english press and his own fans, is that he is, like someone said above, linked to Mercedes for all this time. A team that just happens to be the most dominate team in F1 history, with the LONGEST domination period ever, by far. They haven't lost a championship since 2014, both drivers, and crucially, constructors, with only Bottas dropping the ball and preventing them from having 1-2 all these years too.

Like someone said above, even Senna had to fight Prost when they both had a mp4/4.

Everybody gangsta till "scenario 7, scenario 7" announces on McLaren's radio lol :D

the correct statement is Renault DPed RacingPoint's world

Lap 15th
"Meanwhile breaking news, Romain Grosjean got passed teammate Kevin Magnussen and as far as i can see neither of them are off the track and no damage on either car"
cheeky crofty :roflmao:

Last edited:
I just read a news article stating that Renault is protesting the build of Racing Point.
It stated that the brake ducts have been held and Mercedes has been asked to provide a set from their 2019 car for comparison.
Guess Checo got too close for comfort.

Last edited:
It was a close thing between Perez and Norris for me.
Norris last two laps were stellar, but Perez just won the vote for me with how busy he was the entire race. The mistake at the end with Albon was a downer as would have been a great result for him.

Ferrari completely self-destructing again this year. No points for a race in a season like this is not good for a team of their historical caliber...

So happy to see McLaren back up there again. Just hope Williams can somehow follow suit... maybe in 2022

This argument again every time Hamilton wins something.

• Schumacher's chain of success is ultimately linked to the success of Ferrari.
  • Senna's and Prost's chain of success is ultimately linked to the success of McLaren.
  • Mansell's success in F1 is ultimately linked to the success of Renault.

What's the point?

All the “real” legends named also had seasons where it didn't go their way, but for Hamilton it's held against him.

What's the point?

Of the people called the true legends, very few branched out beyond F1 and even fewer dominated. The rest stayed in F1...so why must only Hamilton do that for validation, when the others like Senna, Schumacher and Prost keep their legend status?

Again what's the point?

Hamilton got in a top team on day 1 because he dominated all the lower series from young and Ron Dennis made it happen...the same Ron that had some of the greatest of all time drive for him...so it’s not a stretch to say he has an eye for talent. Lewis also didn't pay his way in, so I don't understand why his first drive being a McLaren is always held against him.

This is the funniest one yet: He had thousands of miles of experience before F1...How is that even an argument? They all raced before F1, and many of them were test drivers before getting their seat in F1, so this is quite a silly argument.

If he drove like crap that first year I'd understand the criticism, but he took the fight to Alonso and tied with him and then won the next year...the fact that this argument keeps coming up suggests that people think Alonso is crap as a driver...but that’s not the impression I get from most, so again...what’s the point?

Guys like Alain and Niki win championships by “Winning as slow as possible”, i.e. being calculating and winning by grabbing only the points they “need”...they are idolized, and they are deserving of that.

Lewis loses by 1 point in year 1 and wins by one point in year 2...and he’s never deserving. He is later handpicked by Lauda to join Mercedes...and we all know Niki wasn’t a BS type of guy (tons of amazing drivers on the grid in 2012/13...why would he approach Lewis?)...yet the excuse brigade comes out for him having the best seat.

These “he’s a great driver but...” comments are tiresome. He’s great, period...you don’t have to like the guy to admit he’s incredible.

I Would venture that the "problem" of recognition of Hamilton, beyond the obviously partial english press and his own fans, is that he is, like someone said above, linked to Mercedes for all this time. A team that just happens to be the most dominate team in F1 history, with the LONGEST domination period ever, by far. They haven't lost a championship since 2014, both drivers, and crucially, constructors, with only Bottas dropping the ball and preventing them from having 1-2 all these years too.

Like someone said above, even Senna had to fight Prost when they both had a mp4/4.
But don't forget it was a risky move for Hamilton to go to Mercedes in the first place, it was not like he joined the dominant and winning team, he left it at that moment in time.

This is the funniest one yet: He had thousands of miles of experience before F1...How is that even an argument? They all raced before F1, and many of them were test drivers before getting their seat in F1, so this is quite a silly argument.

These “he’s a great driver but...” comments are tiresome. He’s great, period...you don’t have to like the guy to admit he’s incredible.

For the first part here, people say that in response to "He tied/beat current champion in first year without touching the F1 car etc". And with people easy triggered on both sides nobody takes a moment to think and just writes first thing it comes to their mind. ;)

Nice conclusion in the end, I agree. Even though I don't like him, I respect his on track speed, although as I said before I prefer McLaren's Hamilton and consider he would beat this Merc's version in any year. :cool:
That said, for whatever reason, some people have hard time realizing that if you agree that he is great driver you are not saying greatest ever (I am one of those that consider this comparison being impossible in any sport, everyone can be great/greatest in their time period). And that again brings people just blindly following 1 line of thinking, without understanding other side.

In the end, personal conclusion: Hamilton is great driver. Would Max/Vettel win titles in last 7 years in Merc? Yes. Does that take away from Hamilton's success? No. Will I ever compare him to Schumacher or Senna, not to mention Clark or Fangio? No, but this no is because it is not possible to compare different eras (I hope this satisfies enough both sides :roflmao:).

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back