• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

GT Sport @ Rouen-Les-Essarts - Sat February 13th 2010

Discussion in 'RACE 07 Racing Club & Leagues' started by Tobias Kluge, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Bulgin

Martin Bulgin

Ratings:
    +174
    Thanks for letting us join late, I shared the driving with Gary Allen and we just about managed a stint each but unfortunatly I crashed about half way through and had unrepairable damage.

2. Patrick Wuyts

Patrick Wuyts

Ratings:
    +15
    this was fun, clean racing, my ingine begin to gave out down to 19%, noting to gain only to lose, so i brought it just home.'''
    ''7 é place not to bad for a rookie in rd
    thankx to all
    iceberg''

3. Matt Hunt

Matt Hunt

Ratings:
    +22
    First BIG thankyou to Tobias Kluge & RD

Well having a mere not knowing if I would be able to race due to having to borrow a computer I managed to get it all sorted in time..

Quals P1 by 1.2secs (Very happy)

Race: "oh dear looks like the XD engine health bug" started the race with 66% health. So I just set about my own pace.. Led the race for the first 2 hours but was really starting to see the XD bug @ this point engine was dropping off in the 30's and was losign a whole heap of laptime.. finished the race with 33% health :(

But i got to the end P3 so I have nothing to grumble about, was a very long & fun event, I shall be taking part in future events along the same format..

Big thankyou to all the lapped guys. you showed true sportsmanship and drove a very respectable race :)

WD to all that finished...

See you all again :)

4. Tobias Kluge

Tobias Kluge

Ratings:
    +11
    This was fun guys, lots of overtakes, laping and clean racing - THX to all.
    I write my race report tomorrow.

I've uploaded a detailed race report, conducted with Race´SimAnalyzer here:

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2342

just open the "index.html" in the zip-archive with your favorite browser. :)

5. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries

Ratings:
    +0
    That was a long race event to get my feet wet here at the RD. I just want to apologize to Tobias Kluge - I puntted across the track and ran right into him, sorry. Overall, had a good time looking forward to the next race.

6. Bob Hutchins

Bob Hutchins

Ratings:
    +95
    Well yet again Tobias u put on a great show. Track was perfect for this kind of race and weather file work a treat.

Q: 3rd, briliant.
    Race: Matt took us round on parade lap, which was perfect, & then dropped the hammer on the last corner. We were off and those around took it easy on the first proper lap. Matt pulled a gap on Stefan & Stefan to me & Jack was just behind me. As things settled down Jack keeping the gap to me constant. As the laps ticked by Jack began to make his move, dam those beemers are quick, & the gap started to shrink. On lap 6 Jack got a nice tow up the long back straight and took me into the tight right-hander, nice move Jack. As I new this was long race I just hung onto the back of Jacks car and was waiting for him to pit. Meanwhile I noticed Andreas was now behind and starting to close the gap, abeit slowly. Now I was following Jack and the gap was constant but everytime I got really close I noticed I lost some front end downforce in the fast corners so couldn't make a move safely.

Also it seemed I would catch a back marker right in the wrong places and would loose some time to Andreas who was closing in on me. Now on lap 16 & with Andreas closing in I managed to get a run on Jack on the back straight and paid back the compliment and got him going into the tight right-hander, thanks for giving room Jack. On lap 18 I now found I had Andreas on my tail and noticed Jack have a spin in the right down hill bend after the start finish straight. In all the excitment I never noticed Stefan going off and now found myself in 2nd. Later on on lap 18 Andreas made his move, again on the back straight and overtook me into the tight right hander, seems to be the ideal overtaking place. Now the tyres were going off and I had 6 more laps untill I was going to pit so thought it best to hang onto the back of Andreas the best I could untill then. On lap 25, 26 if you count the parade lap, I now found Joao on my tail and we both pitted together. Unfortunately he managed to get out just ahead of me, don't know how & I still haven't worked out how to start the engine after the fuel has gone in, & we make a clean exit of the pits and into 7th & 8th place respectfully.

After a few laps I now found myself in 4th after the others have made their pitstops. After a couple of small mistakes, pushing hard to stay with Joao, I finally have a major off on lap 33 on the run down to the hairpin but managed to save a head on into the barriers and get away with going in sideways, few. Now at this point I have a comfortable gap back to Tobias in 5th & with a good setup and 1 more pitstop to make I just concentrate on putting together clean laps and mantaining my speed. Its now lap 40 and 12 laps until my next pitstop when I noticed on my XD that the engine only has 3% left, how did that happen? On lap 41 it finally lets go just before the pit entrance & I manage to coast into the pits, game over. Jack did you see all the smoke? lol.

I had a wicked time tonight even though I didn't finish the race. Thanks for all the grt battles, Jack & Andreas, very clean and grt racing by u guys.

Big thanks goes to Tobias for putting on the race, whithout him there would be no endro's, top man, Grts to Andreas for wining the event, grts to all podium finishers, well done, and thanks to all that showed up tonight and made this the great event it is. Hope to see all at the next one and hopefully even more will come onboard.

P.s. Sorry forgot to thank RD for hosting a grt forum and bring us like minded people together, cheers guys and keep up the good work.

7. Kimmo Kokkonen

Kimmo Kokkonen
    K2

Ratings:
    +95
    Thank you Tobias and thanks RD.

Race this evening was a very big dissapoint for me. My M3 engine blows up after about the 10 laps although all radiators were opened??? It seems that 8200 revs was too much for the race :)

I also had little problems with my new G27 wheel and I still try to find better settings for it. The Wheel feels so strange after 2 years with G25 so it will take some more time to get used to it.

Anyway thanks to all and see you soon on track...

8. Stefan Werner

Stefan Werner

Ratings:
    +23
    Today's race sure was a great one. Despite not having voted for Rouen, I really enjoyed the track and am glad it was chosen for this event.

Qualy: My qualifying lap was far from perfect, but in the end my time of 1:56.9 was enough for second on the grid. :)

Race: After the parade lap I was off to a pretty good start slowly pulling out a gap on Bob in third. I couldn't quite stick with Matt though, that M3 was much faster in a straight line. Around lap 10 or so Matt must of made a small mistake allowing me to close in to just over 2 seconds. I now had him in my sights and was gaining on him slowly. Over the next two laps I managed to get right up onto his rear bumper, but the excitement was short lived, as I ran it wide in T2 and onto the grass causing the rear to kick out. I managed to catch it, but was now headed for the grass on the outside of T3. The car broke out again, only this time I couldn't keep it from spinning. I think I did 5 complete 360 turns at over 200km/h going down the hill in T3. By the time I got back going I had fallen all the way to 6th, but I had lost more than just a few positions, I had lost my composure. During the following laps I made several stupid mistakes causing me to put the car into the wall a few times. This clearly had a big impact on my lap times from there on out, as I couldn't manage more than a high 1:59 after that, where as the last lap prior to the spin was a 1:57.2. I did have a few short battles in the remainder of the race, but mostly I was driving alone with huge gaps to both those in front and behind me. To say the least, I was rather disappointed with my final result, there certainly was potential for more. I doubt I would have won it, but I should have been up there fighting it out. The car showed it had the pace. Regardless of that, I still had a pretty good time.

Joao, sorry about my pit exit. I only counted three cars on the map (you were the fourth), so it caught me a bit by surprise when I saw you coming after I exited. I tried to keep to the outside of the racing line to allow you to pass. Glad you made it through unharmed and hope I didn't cause you to much of an inconvenience.

Again thanks to Tobias and RD for putting these events on. See you all next time. :)

9. Jack Vos

Jack Vos

Ratings:
    +59
    hmm I see I missed a great race :mad:

10. Bob Hutchins

Bob Hutchins

Ratings:
    +95
    You did, but look on the bright side, there's going to be another one soon so keep your eyes open for the thread and sign up for whats going to be another great installment of endro racing.

11. Tobias Kluge

Tobias Kluge

Ratings:
    +11
    From crash to crash:cool:

Was a great race on a very appealing track again. Big thanks to all lapped drivers for their caution and clean driving. Grats to the podium and all finishers. :smile:

Quali: Overcooked my Super Pole lap and went off 2 times, resulting in a very medium grid position. As my G25 decided to reinitialize, I had to restart the game, to get proper FFB during the race. In the end I disqualified on purpose and was second to last with Ross, who had connection problems and pulled out in warm up again. :frown:

Race: Had a shocking parade lap with Martin, when Michael's BMW were suddenly placed in front of us, due to huge lag. We both went off the track and hear the distinctive crash sound, luckily the game decided not to count this as a real impact and we are able to start the race without destroyed cars. :)
    In the first 26 laps I was able to step up the order to 6th position and had some nice battles with Kimmo, Stefan, Rick and Jack.
    I knew I had to switch to a risky pit strategy, if I want to get near to the podium, so dialed a splash and dash in.
    This wasn't the right decision. First I lost over 15s in the pit because the engine wont start after refueling and I was placed only with a short gap in front of Rick with worn tires. Then I realize that I had to nurse the tires much more than I expected - because the temperatures were rising and the track became more abrasive. I was able to stay in front of Stefan till the last pit stop, who had clearly an engine problem.
    The 2nd pit stop went much smoother and I had some confidence the reach Rick by reducing the gap ~2s every lap. In lap 62 my race ends. :tongue: Starting to accelerate after the hairpin, I saw a BMW sliding over the grass to my point and hit me badly in the right front. I got airborne and made nearly a 180°, next thing I hear - damage not repairable -, game over. No bitterness here. :)
    Watching the replay I think it was just bad luck, Michael had a contact with the lapping Andreas in the left hander before the hairpin and had no chance to circumvent his "ballistic" ride over the grass.

Hope we see each other again in the next enduro round (March the 20th).

cheers

12. Ross McGregor

Ross McGregor
    Premium

Ratings:
    +993
    Sorry i missed this, looks like it was another enjoyable one! In the end i would've had to pull out the race mid-way anyway so having connection issues force me out after qualie wasn't a massive problem. I'll be back march 20th!

13. Andreas Löffler

Andreas Löffler

Ratings:
    +207
    my report

I was very late and could just join during the qualy, right before i was thinking we drive Road One but now Rouen was it. Ok for me but i had a setup for Road One and did no lap before with the Beemer there.
    Load Road One set and did my qualilap on P7 in good assosiation with Joao.:smile:
    In warm up i change then a littlebit the brakebalance and foce, specially for the left downhill braking.
    Had great racing together with Joao and could go step by step win positions.
    After reaching P2 i was harder to cose the gap to Matt, till th first stop the gap stayd at around 12-13sec. Because of the pit the gap fall down to 8 sec. And slowly i reach Matt before pit two but no chance to overtake and before stop i lost also again some seconds.
    But same as first stop i won tim in pit, after my stop (could now refueling lesser fuel) was now 6 seconds infront of Matt and after a mistake from him (the gap go to 13 sec) i could drive P1 home now infront of Joao.
    Sorry for the touch with Michael in the left downhill, wasn´t know he hit someone after that. I underrate my speed to him and brake not early enoght to make it safety. :frown:

But really great event and the track was much fun to drive also with the slipstream section. :rolleyes:

Thanks all for driving together.

14. João Andias

João Andias

Ratings:
    +0
    Another 150 minutes event at a fun track where we kept full throttle 90% of the time and did an average speed of above 200 km/h/lap.

Qulaification (8th)
    Hahaha… that should be what I had to say about my qualifying lap :wink: Had 3 exits in one lap and did a time 2 seconds up of my own race pace :biggrin:

Race (2nd)
    Well who ever said grid position wasn’t important in a mid distance event was surely joking :tongue:
    From the beginning I had a good knowledge of who likely my direct race adversaries were. So I had mixed feelings while climbing through the field and seeing Andreas right in front but Matt Hunt almost 20 seconds up the road.
    In practice I had prayed to the “gods of virtual racing” for a decent race engine deal… next time I won’t ask anything I bet I will be better :redface:
    My engine health started a little below 50% :frown:
    On this track, if pushing the C8 (even with a longer than needed 6th gear) in a near regular sprint racing pace, I would lose about 1 to 2% engine health per lap. Since Engine durability really diminishes when below 10-20% I quickly knew I had to exercises good rpm control if I was to finish the race.
    So my first 2 stints were done with shortshifting trying not to lose much distance to the front. Only in the 3rd stint I really used the full power of the C8 as I could afford the near 2% engine health lose per lap late in the race (but by then it was too late...).
    Suficient talk about the “engine” (btw there is NO XD “engine bug”, it is like that… some times you have a good engine, others you don’t); the race…

The first stint was fun but hard as I had to overtake people with a slower race pace (at the time) without going above X rpm in a track with only 2 real overtaking points. The first pit stop came when I was on top of Bob HutchinsMosler and we both went in at same time. I enter the pits behind him but came out in front but we both were unlucky with the exit of the pits as we lost about 4 valuable seconds waiting for 3 cars to go by the dangerous pit exit.
    At the start of the 2nd stint I noticed that my main race adversair elect had gained 10 seconds over me with the all 1st pitstop affair and worst of all was gaining a little here a little there. As I knew likely he would gain more time in the last pit-stop I started to see my victory chances going backwords. These mid stint wasn’t all about losing time, distance over 4th placed increased and time was gained to 1st placed at the time M. Hunt.
    By the 3rd stint my “fears” were confirmed as Andreas exited the pits in front of M. Hunt and he gained another valuable few seconds with the last pit-stop. Above all Matt was also in the middle… but now I could use the full range of the rpm. :cool:
    Matt’s overtake wasn’t that hard (he had a ½ spin exiting the 2nd slowest corner of the track) and after it he no longer had the engine to really pressure me from then on. As for Andreas… early in the stint I was gaining a little but lost all my 3rd stint early gains with a small but time costly mistake at the slowest corner of the track (went straight). Later I was a distant bystander of “the” unlucky race accident when Andreas failing the braking, “punted” Jeffries and he crossed into the other side of the track going head-on into an unlucky Tobias (C6). For a split second my “darker self” sow in that an opportunity of gaining valuable time to Andreas, but… he went on without much trouble amidst a fuming C6 and an aerodynamically “improved” M3. After that, until the end of the race it was low/mid 56s, opposed to low 57 from the front runner… to little too late.:redface:

Finished 2nd, I would be lying if I told you I had come here to be 2nd :redface:, had the small consolation of doing the fastest laps (lap 75/76) but above all, my Nvidia driver experiment was a 100% successes (a driver with almost 2 years old)… max detail , no freezes or any of the kind and a much better result than the last DNF at Algarve.:cool:

Congratulations to Andreas for his fine win, grats to Matt for the good run and obviously to everyone who finishes these events as clearly they aren’t equal to the usaual 20 to 50 minutes dashes.:wink: Much thanks to everyone who once more was able to fully commit to the event and above all to Tobias for "organizing" and server (practice & race).

Btw Tobias, although in these events we have had a little more than a dozen participants, not only our DNFl ratio is lower (those who start are almost those who finish) but also at the time those other events were done, there was about only 1 popular RD championships gong at same time. Not like It happens now where at least 4 popular RD championships "dispute" people availability every weekend :wink:

Cheers & I hope I can make it to the next one :smile:

15. João Andias

João Andias

Ratings:
    +0
    Small car/ GTS class considerations

Contrary to the popular believe the cars in the class aren’t that “equal”…. The M3, C6 and C8 as known are in a class of their own inside the class itself. These 3 cars, depending on the track have "the" race advantage all for themselves.

I did a full championship a year or more ago with the M3, so I know it well… in races below 120 minutes it is "clear cut" race favoritism to it and the C8 (“using” the full rpm range). Above 120 minutes it should be different… we have been doing 150 minutes races, and I think the M3 is "stretching" it, although we are yet shy of the 200 and 250 minutes races of the past. On those I’m safe to say it is C6 all the way… but yet, after watching the replay I’m very impressed with the M3 capability to sustain aerodynamic damage (other kind of damage that adds to engine damage) without losing much performance with it. A C6 or a engine “saving” C8 (low rpm) with a 1 or 2 fence touches is losing 1 or more km/h top speed… the M3 with its peaky "small" engine (less fuel consume btw) keeps that top speed (more rpm) and above all the handling that makes him “the” popular car of the class (kind of like the DB9R of the GTP).

I won’t use the C6 here in these events (unless the events really start to climb in duration:tongue:), I like the C6R (GTP) not the “puny” C6 :redface: but I will be changing ”ride” for the next one (Canada?)… I’ve “seen” sufficiently C8 for now, yes surely it can be a winner but I need to try out one of those class underdogs… :tongue:

16. João Andias

João Andias

Ratings:
    +0
    With your help we went the 2 by there very well...:wink: In a way it is very impressive from the guy going out of the pits view (slower), but from the pov of who comes fast, it is just a split second; in that occasion it was all well coordinated as I think I didn't lose anything with it as you gave me the apex.

On my frist stop I had to wait for an opening near the pit exit too... when one slows down, the mini-map zooms in so the "view" is shorter, so I too had to go through a tight one with a M3 (Wuyts) going by at the moment when I was about to exit into the track (I had to look back to see him arriving).

17. Patrick Wuyts

Patrick Wuyts

Ratings:
    +15
    the chrash was at least spectacular in replay, sorry it put you out tobias, beter luck next time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.