Paul Jeffrey

Premium
GT Sport Released 2.jpg

Polyphony Digital have released highly anticipated Gran Turismo Sport on PlayStation 4, debuting a new direction for the long running racing franchise.

With the new title Gran Turismo and Polyphony Digital have moved away from the traditional car collection and customisation formula that has worked so well for the series in the past, focusing the main gameplay experience on a detailed online 'esport' experiment designed to take players away from campaign style driving and into the world of competitive online competition. Supported and endorsed by the world governing body of motorsport, the FIA.

Available in an array of different bundle choices, players of the Sony PlayStation 4 today have their first opportunity to try out the full Gran Turismo Sport game following a long and often delayed development programme by Polyphony Digital.

As with many modern games, the new release doesn't come cheap for those wanting to get their hands of the title from day one, with prices ranging from £49.99 into well into the hundreds of pounds. You can check up on the different versions of the title at the Gran Turismo site HERE.

Already released in a limited access beta over the past few weeks, European regions now have access to the full title and can take on the array of vehicles so lovingly crafted by the Japanese gaming giants.

If you missed our earlier car reveal article, check it out HERE.
Wanting to know what tracks come with GT Sport? Fear not, we covered it earlier HERE.

To mark the release of GT Sport in Europe Polyphony have released a new trailer, which can be viewed below:

GT Sport is available for PlayStation 4 right now.

GT Sport Released.jpg
GT Sport Released 3.jpg
GT Sport Released 4.jpg

You can find the latest news and discussion regarding the Gran Turismo series of games at the Gran Turismo sub forum here at RaceDepartment. Join in the discussion with your fellow GT fans today!

What do you think of the game? Impressed or left cold? Happy with the latest GT franchise direction? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
A good game but with an identity crisis: it wants to be a serious racing game like iRacing with real world tracks and there is not enough of them, a less serious racing game with invented tracks and some stupid fast cars, oval racing which is a waste of time and will destroy your hard earned SR, a rally game with silly icey physics, a karting game that is fun for 5 minutes, a castrated single player game, a powerful camera with more settings than your real world camera, Instagram with filters, imgur, Wikipedia, a social network, an artbook, a driving suit and helmet designer, a spreadsheet, a newsfeed, a car collect-a-thon... And its UI really scream to run on a PC with a mouse.

Last edited:
I purchased a PS4 just for GT Sport, so excited I was for an official FIA sanctioned game.

After one evening of gameplay I have contacted the online retailer and gladly they take the PS4+GTSport combo back and refund me the money.

Seriously how can FIA back this as half of the track content is fake and the few official circuits that are included aren't even triple A quality (Willow Springs?) with exception of the Nurburgring. I am not going to pay 439 EUR to race on my beloved ring only and ignore 90% of the other content.

This concept could have been so cool especially after the great experience in GT5, but GT Sport didn't feel right for me at all at this time.

Maybe GT Sport will grow to something awesome over time who knows. I'll give it another try when that happens.

It's better than Forza 7.
With no assistance, i still feel that something take control of the car from time to time with Forza.
It does not happen with GTS.
I also prefer it to Forza, but mostly because it's more serious about racing cars and actual racing,

Forza has way more cars, you can customize them ( replace engines and what not) , etc. so for people who loved this stuff about past Gran Turismo, Forza would be better option

I purchased a PS4 just for GT Sport, so excited I was for an official FIA sanctioned game.

After one evening of gameplay I have contacted the online retailer and gladly they take the PS4+GTSport combo back and refund me the money.

Seriously how can FIA back this as half of the track content is fake and the few official circuits that are included aren't even triple A quality (Willow Springs?) with exception of the Nurburgring. I am not going to pay 439 EUR to race on my beloved ring only and ignore 90% of the other content.

This concept could have been so cool especially after the great experience in GT5, but GT Sport didn't feel right for me at all at this time.

Maybe GT Sport will grow to something awesome over time who knows. I'll give it another try when that happens.

Non FIA tracks? Hmmm. Maybe I should have bought that combo from you. :laugh:

It's sad that the track count is so low but otherwise it looks promising. And I like the multiplayer focus, in my opinion that's also the future for sim racing
it's very annoying though that it's not that smooth , not sure how exactly PSN works so maybe it's PSN fault and not GT

I have czech account, since that's where I have most of my PS games, but now I live in Canada,
so I hope that PSN is trying to find games close to me, rather then stickign to Europe region

i'm getting few lags here and there, which is unfortunate, becasue you are overtaking car that goes off track nly to realize it was lag, once it pops back in front of you and you hit it

so yeah MP might be future, but if the lags still presist, then probably not anytime soon

it's very annoying though that it's not that smooth , not sure how exactly PSN works so maybe it's PSN fault and not GT

I have czech account, since that's where I have most of my PS games, but now I live in Canada,
so I hope that PSN is trying to find games close to me, rather then stickign to Europe region

i'm getting few lags here and there, which is unfortunate, becasue you are overtaking car that goes off track nly to realize it was lag, once it pops back in front of you and you hit it

so yeah MP might be future, but if the lags still presist, then probably not anytime soon
Hey, good immigrants for a change. :thumbsup:

I'm surprised about the mostly positive comments here. RD is usually very cynical regarding console only games and these "light-sims". I love the game. I'm a long time GT fan, but was extremely sceptical regarding Sport because of the content. But the production value, gameplay features, physics, graphics and online gameplay are amazing. I also ADORE the new fictional tracks. Don't care what purists say, they're very well designed and have a great flow.

I'm also surprised by so many positive reactions, but only because most other feedback I've heard on the game has been between 'blecch' and 'meh'...but RD'ers for the most part seem to be having a good time with it. Perhaps that's an indicator GTS is a bit more sim-like than the general public can stomach?

I'm also surprised by so many positive reactions, but only because most other feedback I've heard on the game has been between 'blecch' and 'meh'...but RD'ers for the most part seem to be having a good time with it. Perhaps that's an indicator GTS is a bit more sim-like than the general public can stomach?
Or perhaps the Race Department crowd is old and proud to be able to afford everything and declare it a blast? When you have money, you don't have to choose and you lose the little sense of judgment you have, I guess. Yeah, let's buy a console for this one game that has about 10 circuits, makes sense.

Or perhaps the Race Department crowd is old and proud to be able to afford everything and declare it a blast? When you have money, you don't have to choose and you lose the little sense of judgment you have, I guess. Yeah, let's buy a console for this one game that has about 10 circuits, makes sense.
I'm 27 and pretty poor.... So, nope.
The game is simply good, only issue is its stupid always online stuff.

I think that lot of people are disappointed because of having high expectations

if you already have PS4 I think it's a must have, I woudlnt' say you have to buy console just for it, but unlike Forza, GT will most likely never be available on PC, so the only way to try is really to buy ps4

I'm happy with it so far and I'm waiting for improvements, if the MP gets more solid and less laggy, it wil be quite fun

and speaking of MP, emptybox made a good point, yes you have that sim and that sim, but then you go online and you only have certain cars running , and most of the time people will ruin your gameplay , and if you are too specific about car/track combo, you are driving alone

with Gran Turismo, the player base is MASSIVELY larger, so you almost always have 24 cars on the grid, and the safety rating will help with reducing number of incidents

so the MP is actually one of the main reasons to buy it! because it's one of it's best features imo , as much as I hate the lags and the fact that you have to pay more money for PSN plus account

Mate every time I read one of your posts I'm reinvigorated by your love of sim racing and the RD community.. :O_o::whistling:
A lot of your comments just seem to throw :poop: on the members of RD for being sim racing enthusiasts..
To paraphrase... "yeah, let's join a sim racing community and then cristicise the members for spending their money on sim racing, makes sense." :rolleyes:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back