GT Sport GT Sport December Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
GT Sport has received a new update for the holiday season, adding several new pieces of content and plenty of solid improvements to the PS4 racing title.

For anyone who sampled Gran Turismo Sport back on release day in 2017, the current version of the software must seem like a practically new game since then. With an incredible amount of free content having been added to the PlayStation 4 racing game in recent months, as well as a very notable and solid rate of feature development for what has turned out to be a surprisingly impressive entry into the legendary Gran Turismo franchise by Polyphony Digital, things are really looking good of late for players of this rapidly expanding game.

GT Sport Update December 2018 1.jpg
GT Sport Update December 2018 2.jpg

New for December comes a nice collection of seven exotic cars to the sim, mixing modern supercars with some iconic classics of yesteryear - bringing to the title what is in my opinion one of the best collections of racing machinery made available since the game finally released to the public back on October 18th last year.

GT Sport Update December 2018.jpg

Alongside the new cars also comes a new racing location, with the Tokyo Expressway "South Route" making its debut in the title. The new layout has been described by Polyphony as "very different" from the existing Tokyo Expressway circuit, and should present players with a visually impressive city landscape and a mix of fast corners and tight sections in which to navigate the ever increasing number of cars present in GT Sport.

In addition to new content, the December update also includes seven new GT League rounds, new scapes scenes and additions to the Circuit Experience aspect of the title.

GT Sport is available exclusively for Sony PlayStation 4.

GT Sport Update December 2018 3.jpg

Check out the Grand Turismo sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news from the hugely popular PlayStation 4 racing series.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
new content yes, but new features ? .. well, they opened up livery editor for race driver suit, they added the "single player experience thing" but I can't recall too many new features

but anyhow, this is my favorite racing game to the date, has a tons of really great little touches, although what does hurt it is that it's all static / baked , would have been nice to have dynamic weather and time of day , especially when it looks so gorgeous

new content yes, but new features ? .. well, they opened up livery editor for race driver suit, they added the "single player experience thing" but I can't recall too many new features

but anyhow, this is my favorite racing game to the date, has a tons of really great little touches, although what does hurt it is that it's all static / baked , would have been nice to have dynamic weather and time of day , especially when it looks so gorgeous

Yeah, I too realized, that they are lacking in actual new features. For instance, we still have no weather feature, which makes the wet tyres unnecesary. And full Day and Night Cycle ist still not there. only specific times of day. But it's nice to see that GT Sport isn't off the table and still get's monthly updates with new content

While I think GT Sport succeeds in bringing the best virtual representation of driving a car today (hands down the best FF and best graphics/shading), i feel it still lacks compared to the predecessors. Tuning, one of the series' trademarks, is now overly simplified in order to reach a wider crowd (profit is a good thing), GT6's huge roster of mainly non premium cars is gone to make room for good quality models exclusively, however things such as this definitely give it a less than premium vibe (M3 E92, December update). How this even goes past quality control eludes me.
20181206_201337.jpg

While I think GT Sport succeeds in bringing the best virtual representation of driving a car today (hands down the best FF and best graphics/shading), i feel it still lacks compared to the predecessors. Tuning, one of the series' trademarks, is now overly simplified in order to reach a wider crowd (profit is a good thing), GT6's huge roster of mainly non premium cars is gone to make room for good quality models exclusively, however things such as this definitely give it a less than premium vibe (M3 E92, December update). How this even goes past quality control eludes me.
View attachment 280754
their models are build for a sub-division / tesselation, so this is something where they could capture it , before it sub-divides , sure, you probably shouldn't be able to see it, but I think you really have to try to find it
on my PS4 Pro, I have never seen it

this is from GT6, but the tech is pretty much the same in GTS

PS4 Pro here too. Weird. I took the pic above and this one in the same session, which led me to conclude it has to do with the 3d model. That's the strangest part.

Front fender pictured here, rear fender in the previous post.

20181206_201320.jpg

if you take a look again, is it still the same ?? what happens if you wait for a bit

I'm 100% then GT models their car with subdivision/tesselation in mind, so by default, they would look squared and when in game, that's where you will see them nice and round,

you can also see that on liveries screenshots

and NO! these are not LODs
8430840837091361800_23.jpg

and before someone disagrees again, check this out

someone managed to open up the model files directly and see how the wheel stuff is really not rounded !!!

for movies, we build the models the same way, and this additional roudness get's added during render time

8JpNVLk.png[img]

Well it looks this amazing exactly because it's static and baked, will be mega if they ever manage to make it dynamic without losing graphic quality. IMO best looking racing game ever and every other sim should target this visual

Well it looks this amazing exactly because it's static and baked, will be mega if they ever manage to make it dynamic without losing graphic quality. IMO best looking racing game ever and every other sim should target this visual
correct! and yeah, I'm sure it will be very difficult to make it dynamic and keep the quality
we have seen this with GT5 which looked great, and GT6 - that was dynamic, but look noticeably worse on certain tracks

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 333 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 169 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 289 13.4%