AC GT (Rolling Start) Multiclass @ Nurburgring GP - Sunday 24th October 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Im using the recommended version of CSP (0.1.60) at the moment. Im curious if i should be using a later version even though they're listed as buggy. Does anyone have any input on this?
Mainly the reflections FX section got a big update with 1.75 iirc. Also the FFB extension with the new gyro got quite a big update, removing the strength slider and making it scale with the actual physics. And a few new things that can be nice with certain cars that use it (no Kunos cars).

There are some new optimizations which can boost the CPU limited fps a bit.

There are 3 things to consider:
- the new reflection FX looks quite a bit different. More realistic but shadows from the environment will now be shown a lot stronger on the windscreen. Making the windscreen flicker when driving next to trees. Like in real life, but I find it annoying

- some tracks get "destroyed". Try road Atlanta. For me, the tarmac was vertically while the buildings where somewhere flying around. Looked super crazy!

- with a critical combo you might run into "race canceled" errors when loading or when closing the game. But it should be consistent so before an online race, try the car/track combo and check for errors.
If it works, it should be fine for the race

Im using VR with an i7 processor and RTX2060 graphics card, in case it matters.
Not really for this topic but often it does.
But when it matters, "i7" says basically nothing. We would need the generation and the exact model. Otherwise it's like asking for performance of your "MB C-Class".
It won't have below 100 HP, will have 4 seats and surely be able to drive faster than 130 km/h but everything else is pure guessing.
Could be anything between the smallest engine and the wobbly suspension of the 1993 c-class to a modern AMG :p

- some tracks get "destroyed". Try road Atlanta. For me, the tarmac was vertically while the buildings where somewhere flying around. Looked super crazy!

Not really for this topic but often it does.
But when it matters, "i7" says basically nothing. We would need the generation and the exact model. Otherwise it's like asking for performance of your "MB C-Class".
It
thank you, rasmus!

If you roll back an update because the track is destroyed, will the track revert to its original condition? Can you freely jump around updates without screwing things up?

Fyi: heres the exact specs. It will run AC in VR with moderately high graphics settings. If the fps drops below 90, the system drops it to 45 and repeats frames ( something like that). Whatever it does makes it nice and smooth.
436228FF-9FF3-4850-8852-A7FB60B65386.jpeg

im assuming you are the rasmus who helps with the podcast sound. Thank you for doing that.

View attachment 513088
Im using the recommended version of CSP (0.1.60) at the moment. Im curious if i should be using a later version even though they're listed as buggy. Does anyone have any input on this?

Im using VR with an i7 processor and RTX2060 graphics card, in case it matters.

thx!
I'm using 0.1.70 without issues. One thing that makes the game run smoother is using fewer game apps during racing. Use only what you need. Turn the graphics settings down - use only what you can't live without. During a race most details don't even show, so consider this. You could try locking the frame rate so it doesn't jump around (if that's the case. ie. you may reach 100fps, but is it constant, or does it jump 30fps or more a lot? Try locking it at 60, see if that improves.)

I live in Canada and my ping is always over 100, usually around 130, but nobody seems to tell me that my car jumps around on track. While I'd like a lower ping, there's obviously other factors at play here as mentioned by Rasmus.

If you roll back an update because the track is destroyed, will the track revert to its original condition? Can you freely jump around updates without screwing things up?
Yes, with a little addition:
Some defaults might be changed and your changes aren't saved without saving your settings as a preset.
But if you save a preset for 0.1.60, then update to the latest version and then go back, simply load your 0.1.60 preset again and everything should be like it was.

I'm not sure if some things might get changed when you update. And I'm not sure if things get adjusted correctly if you load your old preset with the new csp version.

So you can definitely revert back perfectly when saving a preset but I'm not sure if it's absolutely "intelligent" when updating.
Fyi: heres the exact specs. It will run AC in VR with moderately high graphics settings.
Nice specs! 9700 should run all sims very smoothly. It lacks the stunning performance of a 9700k locked to the boost speed on all cores, but without manually overclocking, the non-k has a way better price/performance!

Only thing:
I would check if you have 2x 8gb oder 1x 16gb. Dual channel can give quite a big fps boost when cpu limited (if you turn down a few settings, ac/rf2/acc are usually cpu limited).
Just download and run CPU-Z and click into the memory/ram section and it will show you what you have.
A second 16gb stick might give a big boost and don't cost much (no guarantee though, it depends on the game...).
Alternatively selling the 16gb stick and getting 2x 8gb could be cheaper.
If the fps drops below 90, the system drops it to 45 and repeats frames ( something like that). Whatever it does makes it nice and smooth.
That's the VR headsets magic, not the PC.
All headsets do this a bit differently.
They take the motion in the current frame plus your head movement into consideration and create an interpolated image that will probably look like the next 90 fps frame would look like, if there would be one.
That fills the gap between the 45 fps frames.
However if you change your head movement or give an input to the game between the frames, the next frame will look differently and won't fit the interpolated frame.
Which is why some people are getting motion sick from it and some don't.

im assuming you are the rasmus who helps with the podcast sound. Thank you for doing that.
Yep, that's me :)
I'm often annoyed by the mixing of podcasts, like when driving on the Autobahn and trying to listen to a podcast and the volume changes are so big that I don't understand 30% of it and the loud 30% almost blow out my speakers.

So I basically didn't get asked to mix the podcast. I made a pitch to get the job :roflmao:

If you have any critique, please tell me. I only have limited amounts of different speakers/headsets and ofc my taste might not suit the majority.

Last edited:
I managed to settle in to a steady consistent pace and that’s the way it stayed for the race really, some careful passing of the GT4 guys, I should have given Taj a shout as it seemed he was a bit unsure which way I was passing into the Michelin curve, sorry if I spooked you Taj, but I went wide, thanks for leaving me room to come back on track.:thumbsup:
Hi Paul, @Shed 17
no problem mate, I stayed left, assuming you would overtake on the right, was a bit surprised when you squeezed past on the left. I thought you wouldn't make the turn and kept an eye on you as you returned to the track. Hope it didn't mess up you race!!

I should have really used Discord to request you overtake on the right, will do next time :thumbsup:

No worries Taj, I know you are always super helpful in multiclass racing overtakes, it was just that I expected you to go over to the right on the racing line into the next curve, so I thought I would stay left. It is hard to anticipate sometimes. No harm done mate. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Independently from your FPS, your "PHYS_LATE" counter can be an issue. When the counter goes up, the physics calculation was not completed within the standard tick rate.
AC physics ticks and graphics frames aren't synchronized. The graphics engine simply draws whatever is currently in the "physics buffer" basically.
And when the physics buffer contains weird stuff or old stuff and then jumps to fresher and accurate stuff in the next graphics tick, you will see jumping around cars etc.

To check:
"Graphics stats" is a developer app but the more important "Render Stats" can be activated without setting dev apps to active.
Check your PHY and PHY_LATE values.

View attachment 512888

I would suggest that you replicate yesterday's race with an AI grid so Nurburgring GP, 20 AI, random GT3 + GT4 class.
Make yourself start last, activate the Render Stats app and do one full lap. Then check your PHY_LATE counter!

If it's below 200, it's fine. But it could also be like 5000 and that would be bad :p
Hi Rasmus,

I've replicated in the way you've recommended and the results were in line with how I was suspecting. Basically my PHY_LATE is zero because CPU is way more powerful than GPU, and I tried both ways (without VR and with Aruco/Opentrack, like last Sunday, and with VR) and the results are basically the same.

I was actually supposing it could be something with Aruco/Opentrack, but it doesn't look to be the case. I've joined few online servers to check the average ping and they vary between 12 and 65ms.

We'll have to see it again on Sunday (if I'm not called to work) and from there we'll find out. In this time I'll leave the ping visible at all times (is there any dev app that shows network data in the hud?).

All the best!

Fabiano.

PS: my actual setup is R5 5600X, 8GB 3200MHz (single channel), M2 SSD, GTX 1650 Super (I know...) and from next Sunday I'm using a Rift S (last few races used Quest 2).

Hi Rasmus,

I've replicated in the way you've recommended and the results were in line with how I was suspecting. Basically my PHY_LATE is zero because CPU is way more powerful than GPU, and I tried both ways (without VR and with Aruco/Opentrack, like last Sunday, and with VR) and the results are basically the same.

I was actually supposing it could be something with Aruco/Opentrack, but it doesn't look to be the case. I've joined few online servers to check the average ping and they vary between 12 and 65ms.

We'll have to see it again on Sunday (if I'm not called to work) and from there we'll find out. In this time I'll leave the ping visible at all times (is there any dev app that shows network data in the hud?).

All the best!

Fabiano.

PS: my actual setup is R5 5600X, 8GB 3200MHz (single channel), M2 SSD, GTX 1650 Super (I know...) and from next Sunday I'm using a Rift S (last few races used Quest 2).
Oh, nice cpu! :D definitely not an issue hehe.
You might want to buy another 8gb stick with the same timings though and simply click it in and get dual channel..

So it's either ping, package loss or it might be the 8gb ram not being enough and causing some issues.
Maybe repeat the AI session, pause after one lap and have a look in Taskmanager's performance monitor about the ram details.
I don't think that's an issue but I can't know...

Yes, with a little addition:
Some defaults might be changed and your changes aren't saved without saving your settings as a preset.
But if you save a preset for 0.1.60, then update to the latest version and then go back, simply load your 0.1.60 preset again and everything should be like it was.

I'm not sure if some things might get changed when you update. And I'm not sure if things get adjusted correctly if you load your old preset with the new csp version.

So you can definitely revert back perfectly when saving a preset but I'm not sure if it's absolutely "intelligent" when updating.

Nice specs! 9700 should run all sims very smoothly. It lacks the stunning performance of a 9700k locked to the boost speed on all cores, but without manually overclocking, the non-k has a way better price/performance!

Only thing:
I would check if you have 2x 8gb oder 1x 16gb. Dual channel can give quite a big fps boost when cpu limited (if you turn down a few settings, ac/rf2/acc are usually cpu limited).
Just download and run CPU-Z and click into the memory/ram section and it will show you what you have.
A second 16gb stick might give a big boost and don't cost much (no guarantee though, it depends on the game...).
Alternatively selling the 16gb stick and getting 2x 8gb could be cheaper.

That's the VR headsets magic, not the PC.
All headsets do this a bit differently.
They take the motion in the current frame plus your head movement into consideration and create an interpolated image that will probably look like the next 90 fps frame would look like, if there would be one.
That fills the gap between the 45 fps frames.
However if you change your head movement or give an input to the game between the frames, the next frame will look differently and won't fit the interpolated frame.
Which is why some people are getting motion sick from it and some don't.

Yep, that's me :)
I'm often annoyed by the mixing of podcasts, like when driving on the Autobahn and trying to listen to a podcast and the volume changes are so big that I don't understand 30% of it and the loud 30% almost blow out my speakers.

So I basically didn't get asked to mix the podcast. I made a pitch to get the job :roflmao:

If you have any critique, please tell me. I only have limited amounts of different speakers/headsets and ofc my taste might not suit the majority.
Ive got to say that you are a wealth of knowledge! Much appreciated!
Starting with the podcast, i usually listen on the tiny speakers of the iphone and occasionally with headphones and the audio is great. Everyone sounds clear and no one is louder than anyone else. The new music sounds pretty good, too. Overall Ive never noticed any sound issues, which (in a way) is the best compliment you can get.

there was one episode where paul played the sound of a truck backing up. For some reason the beep is crazy loud. The first time i heard it i thought the smoke detector went off! I figured the frequency overloaded the phone speaker or something. Aside from that, the sound is perfect!

I ve got a single stick with 16 gb ram and will likely get another at some point. (The dream is a shiny new rtx3080, but that wont be until the prices come back to reality.)

Ive recently run into a sound issue: the internal sounds, especially the engine, is very quiet. The sounds of other cars drown out the engine of whatever car im in. Ive tried different tracks and cars and the issue is consistent. Ive looked at all the sound settings i can find, but cant find the problem. Other sounds (crew chief) are at normal levels. It is just the levels of the car im in. Do you have any idea what it could be?

Starting with the podcast, i usually listen on the tiny speakers of the iphone and occasionally with headphones and the audio is great. Everyone sounds clear and no one is louder than anyone else. The new music sounds pretty good, too. Overall Ive never noticed any sound issues, which (in a way) is the best compliment you can get.

there was one episode where paul played the sound of a truck backing up. For some reason the beep is crazy loud. The first time i heard it i thought the smoke detector went off! I figured the frequency overloaded the phone speaker or something. Aside from that, the sound is perfect!

I ve got a single stick with 16 gb ram and will likely get another at some point. (The dream is a shiny new rtx3080, but that wont be until the prices come back to reality.)

Ive recently run into a sound issue: the internal sounds, especially the engine, is very quiet. The sounds of other cars drown out the engine of whatever car im in. Ive tried different tracks and cars and the issue is consistent. Ive looked at all the sound settings i can find, but cant find the problem. Other sounds (crew chief) are at normal levels. It is just the levels of the car im in. Do you have any idea what it could be?
Hi Chris,

I don't want to step on Rasmus's toes as his expertise blows my mind, but I have had this issue a couple of times. It only affects AC and all other sounds are good. I tried reinstalling sound drivers but no good then Colin pointed me to a thread that helped.

Basically with AC running running (It has to be AC and not CM) if you open Settings>Sounds>App volumes and device settings, you should see a list of apps with volume sliders. In my case the AC slider was very low, I turned it up and issue solved. Also check your sound settings in your volume mixer on the taskbar. Hope this helps.

AC sound volume.jpg

Hi Chris,

I don't want to step on Rasmus's toes as his expertise blows my mind, but I have had this issue a couple of times. It only affects AC and all other sounds are good. I tried reinstalling sound drivers but no good then Colin pointed me to a thread that helped.

Basically with AC running running (It has to be AC and not CM) if you open Settings>Sounds>App volumes and device settings, you should see a list of apps with volume sliders. In my case the AC slider was very low, I turned it up and issue solved. Also check your sound settings in your volume mixer on the taskbar. Hope this helps.

View attachment 513803
Yes, I had the problem that the Discord volume was too low even when on max in the Discord settings. It turned out that the Windows volume settings for Discord was only 10%!

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated too! Indeed the best compliment since a podcast simply should sound clear and natural (if you could hear the raw files though, haha).
Oops... I don't always listen through the whole podcast. Just jumping around, checking if everything is alright and aligned until the end and that's about it.
The beep was probably on Paul's track so it ran through his processing.
Since a few episodes all sound effects, music etc are on a separate track and I check that track fully so it shouldn't happen in the future!
Nice!
Well, the 40xx cards will probably arrive before the prices come down. No idea what crazy mess they will be, but the 30xx cards are very power hungry so I wouldn't recommend them to everyone. I have different undervolting profiles for each game.
Every game uses GPUs a little bit differently so for example I can drop the power consumption in AC von 290 to 120W, but rF2 is unstable with that profile so I can only drop it to 200W.

Thought I would split the "issue" into a separate reply.

Yes I have, apparently your internal game sound mixing is screwed. When you go into CM or when you on track and then search for the speaker-icon sound HUD app, you'll see these settings:
Your ENGINE slider is probably too low? It's the only explanation I can think of since you're saying other cars are fine. So it has to be internal of AC and not a Windows mixing issue.

1635509636162.png

I don't want to step on Rasmus's toes as his expertise blows my mind
Never feel that way please! All help is appreciated. Less work for me hopefully :D
And thanks for the compliment :giggle:

Yes, I had the problem that the Discord volume was too low even when on max in the Discord settings. It turned out that the Windows volume settings for Discord was only 10%!
You two are thinking about the Windows mixing console, which can indeed cause all kinds of annoying issues but in this case it has to be inside of AC. Otherwise Discord would be too loud compared to all cars but Chris says other cars are fine, it's just his own engine sound being too quiet.

Btw, you don't have to go into the full, separate window to change these volumes:
1635509813508.png

1635509860354.png

1635509878154.png

I will soon try what @Shed 17 , @HF2000 and @RasmusP suggested. (Its been a busy few days) hopefully i can get this sorted soon.

Its amazing how disadvantaged you are without good audio for your car. Even with multiple visual shifting indicators, it is easy to miss shift points. Hearing squealing tyres is pretty helpful for finding the limit, too.

i will be sure to post here when i find the solution to the sound issue.

thanks again. You are wicked awesome!!!

Ding Ding Ding!! And the winner is... @Shed 17 ! I started AC (not with CM) and started a race. Then i opened the windows sound controls and found the assetto corsa slider was really low. A quick adjustment later the issue was fixed:).
Upon listening to the correct levels, i believe my description of the issue was inaccurate. It was all the sounds, not just the engine sound, that were too low. Im not sure how i was so clearly mistaken, but the ussue is solved now and i couldnt be happier. Thanks paul and @RasmusP for the assistance!

Glad to be of help Chris, I know how happy you feel, I had to do a couple of club races with very low volume and it was terrible not hearing the revs or when Han was going to overtake me :D :D . I then spent a whole weekend trying different things, reinstalling AC and sound drivers but this simple fix made me so happy too.

I don’t know why it happens though, perhaps Rasmus might know, but in my case it seems to happen out of the blue, not when Windows updates.

I don’t know why it happens though, perhaps Rasmus might know, but in my case it seems to happen out of the blue, not when Windows updates.
Mhhh... I wouldn't really know how it happens but I know of 2 things how it could happen in vague theory:

1. Some applications like Skype lower the level of everything else when a person speaks. If the application fails to reset the dynamic lowering, it might stay like this. I think Discord has this function too but it's disabled at default

2. If you open the mixer and drag ONE application louder, it will raise itself and the master volume while the other volume sliders stay put. If you somehow opened the mixer and dragged something else than the master fader up, everything else will be more quiet

Difficult to know though, since I'm using this "mixer" every day since about 2011 when I changed to Win 7 and my levels are all over the place :D
I keep the AC master volume in the ingame sound app at "2" btw and Discord etc on default (100%).
Putting the faders in the windows Mixer all to the same level results in game sound + discord being nicely adjusted :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hey @RasmusP can you tell me what these things mean, and what they do?
View attachment 513707
Yes I can, sorry for the late reply:
They are for gamepads! (apart from scale)

- Gamma: small inputs = less turning, big inputs = more turning. With a wheel = 1.00!!!
- Scale: not really sure but probably: 900° and Scale at 50% = Full lock at 450°. With a wheel = 100%!!!
- Filter: if you have shaking hands and do weird inputs with the gamepad joystick, raising the filter will calm down the inputs. With a wheel = 0%!!!
- Speed sensitivity: if you raise this, the steering will become less responsive the faster you go. With a wheel = 0%!!! (you should put it to 0!)

Btw, you should set the Degrees to 900° and in your Logitech software too to 900°. Assetto Corsa will automatically adjust the virtual steering wheel to be synced to your real wheel and you will have "real life steering ratio" (x° steering input = y° frontwheels turning).
You have it at 540°. This means all cars that have more than 540° in reality are inaccurate for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply @RasmusP . I had it at 540 since I've only been racing GT3 lately. I will set it back to 900 now. I feel that even 900 is too low sometimes. I want a 1080 wheel. Sometimes even small inputs create large movements and the car is unsteady. Sometimes i use the speed sensitivity to help (but it only really works with some cars.)

The controls are really bonkers. 1% SS for some cars means you have to turn the wheel sooooooo much to get it to turn at all. For other cars it's just right. Anyway I'm hoping one day if I can get a new wheel the improved control will help me to grow more. Thanks for the information again.

My settings atm:

Attachments

• sptgns.JPG
    sptgns.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 37
  • accm-sttig.JPG
    accm-sttig.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 35

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 273 15.2%