AC GT Multiclass @ Barcelona Moto - Sunday 3rd October 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Casper , I sort of agree about Barcelona, it has its speed hidden, it is a circuit I like very much but have always been a plodder here.
The secret has always managed to hide its secret from me. :roflmao:

AH so the plan is to get more drivers in the races. I understand. When I started there were over 20 drivers, and the grid does seem to have shrunk. It's sad because making the top ten out of 10 drivers isn't as exciting lol.

I think I finally beat my track time here that I once set in GTR2 ages ago. I know it was a 1:46.xxx something in a Ferrari 575 GT2 car.. but I don't have the xxx part anymore, and I don't know if I've truly done it :(

(Edit) I've definitely done it now!

Attachments

• Barcelona_PB.jpg
    Barcelona_PB.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
As for higher road temps: GT3 comes with three sets of tyre - soft - med - hard. Sometimes the soft is too soft when pushed, but the med is not viable because it doesn't get hot enough. I'm asking for a compromise to make the meds more viable. It can also change up strategy by having some start on softs, and then switch to meds, or vice versa. More options.

Then again, with the tyre model the way it is I guess it's no big deal. Avoid the kerbs guys.

Last edited:
As for higher road temps: GT3 comes with three sets of tyre - soft - med - hard. Sometimes the soft is too soft when pushed, but the med is not viable because it doesn't get hot enough. I'm asking for a compromise to make the meds more viable. It can also change up strategy by having some start on softs, and then switch to meds, or vice versa. More options.

Then again, with the tyre model the way it is I guess it's no big deal. Avoid the kerbs guys.

If you look at the tyre choices across all cars for 5 or 6 races you will see a fairly balanced mix of soft and mediums. I imagine it will be a fairly even split in this race for GT3 cars. Probably more mediums if I was to place a bet.

The meds are always viable at 26C+, if you look at the front you'll see plenty of people running them -- one will learn more working to push the car to get into range than adjusting things down to suit one's current pace :)

Raising the temperature just makes the soft way too soft and forces everyone onto the medium, which makes strategy markedly boring. The mid 20s is usually a nice ground where the soft or the medium are both viable, with preference dependent on track, car, strategy, and driving style.

Last edited:
I did run hards for one race, with obviously 1 litre fuel stop.
Not one of my better decisions, it half made sense, as it was a very short course.
Even so, still not a good idea, ambient temps were 20 deg C.

Yeah, I tried that once Ernie, at Chang in the GTR................... long straights for tyres to cool. Not a good move as couldn't accelerate off the corners, couldn't brake hard, couldn't attack or defend and was just hoping the race would end! Won't be doing that again!:redface:. I can see Chris's point about getting the tyres to work though, must up my game to get rid of those blues :cool:.

I find that higher road temps allow tires to hold their temp for longer on the straights. I think the problem is really AC's awful tire model. :(

Sorry I have to ask, what is 'awful' about it? I haven't driven many race cars, certainly not to determine whether a SIM has an accurate tyre model or not. Can you share your insight as to why you say its awful and in comparison to what?

Sorry I have to ask, what is 'awful' about it? I haven't driven many race cars, certainly not to determine whether a SIM has an accurate tyre model or not. Can you share your insight as to why you say its awful and in comparison to what?
The way the tyres heat (gain / hold / dissapate,) gain / lose pressure just doesn't seem as accurate, and doesn't have the same feel as other pure sims out there. If you have ever played GTR2, or RACE, or other good racing sims. Also there's the contact patch, and how touching certain kerbs such as in Barcelona grabs the car and throws you off. There's just no way to fight it. This is not an attack against Kunos. They can do better, as they have in ACC which has a fantastic tyre model. Maybe "awful" is too strong a word, but there are older games that have better tyre simulation.

The way the tyres heat (gain / hold / dissapate,) gain / lose pressure just doesn't seem as accurate, and doesn't have the same feel as other pure sims out there. If you have ever played GTR2, or RACE, or other good racing sims. Also there's the contact patch, and how touching certain kerbs such as in Barcelona grabs the car and throws you off. There's just no way to fight it. This is not an attack against Kunos. They can do better, as they have in ACC which has a fantastic tyre model. Maybe "awful" is too strong a word, but there are older games that have better tyre simulation.

You seem very wrapped up in things we can't control.

As always if you want advice or help you can post video, setup etc.

I find that higher road temps allow tires to hold their temp for longer on the straights. I think the problem is really AC's awful tire model. :(
Must we really spend time discussing such jejune topics as which sim is more "pure"? Sorry, but I have to ask: have you ever actually driven a race car in real life before at its limit? I've driven GT3 and other race cars in real life at the limit and these "pure sims" you are taking about are not even close to AC's level of detail or replication, but what's the point of this discussion anyway?

Let's take GTR2 since you mentioned it: I was an esports driver when it was in vogue and one must be mad to think that the physics there are better than AC: it literally doesn't simulate half the things that AC does. That's not a matter of opinion: it literally just doesn't have anywhere near the level of components simulated, and the nuanced aspects of suspension (and thus tyre behaviour) are basically entirely absent. Great sim, though -- just a product of the limitations of its time, as all sims are.

That's not to say that AC is perfect, and certainly there are tradeoffs in its physics -- ACC is an improvement in most areas and a step back in some others, for example -- but if you haven't driven these cars in real life at the limit, where are you getting this idea that other sims are more "pure" or "accurate"? And the ones you're claiming are more "pure" don't even attempt to model most of the elements of critical things like weight transfer.

At the end of the day, no sim or motion rig replicates the G forces which are absolutely critical to driving the car in real life, so it's a totally meaningless exercise to argue about which one is more "pure" (but certainly if there are more "pure" ones, the ones you listed are not them). Every sim has its strengths and limitations: I strongly suggest you just enjoy the racing for what it is, work on improving, and give the histrionics a rest. You'll have a lot more fun that way.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years