GT Legends: What is it like

Stuart Pocock

I'M BACK... Again :)
Hi everyone,
Due to the lack of quality console racing these days I have been looking at PC sims. I bought race 07 and to be fair i wasn't overlay impressed. I've been doing a bit research on PC sims and GT legends kept popping up, I am seriously considering buying it but before I do I would be grateful for your opinions on GT Legends. Many thanks in advance

Hi everyone,
Due to the lack of quality console racing these days I have been looking at PC sims. I bought race 07 and to be fair i wasn't overlay impressed. I've been doing a bit research on PC sims and GT legends kept popping up, I am seriously considering buying it but before I do I would be grateful for your opinions on GT Legends. Many thanks in advance
Get it. Cheap, good fun, great racing club and league here. My favourite racing game. Or, my favourite game to race here.

GTL may be getting a little long on the tooth now, but it is still a classic, and compares very favourably to the newer Sims.
It depends a bit on what type of racing you prefer. These are the older cars, but that is what makes the Sim so great. These cars need some skill and patience to drive well, they represent the days when the cars had some character and weren't glued to the road. Best of all, the variety of cars in GTL is huge, every car handles distinctly, not a tiny variation from the bunch (like Race 07). You get nimble Mini's, Fiat's, Cortina's, through to overpowered Corvettes, GT40's, Capri's. Not to mention the massive range of addon cars now available for download.
Sounds are brilliant too.
If you enjoy clean, fun, on-line racing, the RD GTL Club is one of the best around. Very helpful, clean drivers, with a true sense of friendly spirit.
I'd highly recommend GTL to anyone who appreciates quality driving over fancy graphics. (The graphics are fine anyway). ;)

I can't really add anything to what Warren has already said. GTL is a brilliant sim which kicks seven shades of excrement out of the console sim you have been playing. ;) (But then, so does Race 07 in my opinion.)

No, the graphics are not as good because it's an old game and the emphasis was on racing rather than a 'photomode'. If you were not impressed by Race 07's graphics then you won't be impressed with GTL's either because they're pretty much the same... same developer, same game engine, and GTL is actually older.

But the point is that GTL has it where it counts. Good physics, great cars, and an excellent Club here on RD. For the small cost of buying the game from RaceRoom you can't go wrong.

For the small cost of buying the game from RaceRoom you can't go wrong.

Oh, that reminds me. Buy the download version, especially if you have Windows 7.
If you buy the original DVD version, it has Starforce Copy Protection which is no longer supported by Windows 7.
That was the one weakness with GTL.
If you have the DVD version, you can claim a free Download version, but I'd strongly recommend buying on-line via the new Download version. It's probably cheaper anyway.

The only problem with GTL here at RD is that the Staff is an idiot.

Hang on...
What a lie, the GTL staff is the best in the whole of RD! :p (That's gotta be worth a pole position)

Seriously, GTL feels more "real" than the Race series, and GT5, and the people who race in the club are a great bunch, who will stop if they knock you off track. Come join us Stuart, and make sure you join the Boss series, such an awesome car

All joking aside, GTL graphics are entirely acceptable even by the latest standards, they do exactly what they need to - allow you to gauge speeds, positions etc. while being immersive enough for you to concentrate on racing other drivers. And the twilight lighting as the sun goes down is still the best I've ever seen to date.

Warren has covered the cars, but he is absolutely right and it bears repeating. There aren't cars where you can go with the default and just tweak a bit of aero at one end to get it handling how you want. My biggest complaint against Race is that the cars feel a little "homogenous" - a claim that cannot be levelled at GTL vehicles. Even cars that are ostensibly similar, and prove to be well matched in timings (as an example, the Lotus Cortina & the Alfa GTA) deliver their performance in such diverse ways that you do not feel that it's the same car with a couple of weight/power tweaks, which is how Race often feels to me.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back