GSC Driver Training request for general advice

As a new simRacer and new GSC user, Brams suggested that I post all my questions. I started posting a few days ago hoping for answers and these questions will help other simRacers as well. I should have started my posts with some general background so I used rFactor manual's questions to create questions below. Maybe you can give me and others some general advice based on my answers to these question. More detailed questions will be in other threads to follow.

My driving eduction background:
1970s Car rally using my Triumph
2011 Corvette Z06 used at 1 Bonduarnt classes with auto cross and road racing defensive driving
2012 My Lexus IS-F used at 1 Bonduarnt classes with auto cross and road racing. Open track
2012 My IS-F used at several PCA DE from 1 to level 3 with in car instructors 2013. Best was InDe at Willcox AZ. Driver DE by by Greg Robertson
2013 Started simRacing PS3,G27 for GT5,GT6 but all done with cheat race line, finished both but no online racing
2014 Switched to PC simRacing, new computer and bought GSC2013, t500rs f1 and GTE 458 wheels. SimVibe. Triple 27" monitors.
Reviewed iRacing Driver Education videos
Reading Speed Secrets by Bently
Used Nexus app Trackmaster for study of breaking and acceleration in the class driving (Poor mans MoTeC data collection and data display)
Reviewed iRacing Driver Education YouTube videos

Below I tried to answer the follow questions from rFactor manual:

Brasilla simple track. 5 turns.

Does the car oversteer or understeer, and, if so, where, and what were you doing at the time with the throttle, steering wheel and brake?
Yes
I notice the AI drivers reduce the throttle more than I do and seem to coast by the apex to the accelerate out point. Is this observation correct? Is this typical of what you do?

Is the apex where it seems to be or is it earlier–later?
Can anyone give me better suggestions for apex target in both the short and full Brasilia?
Corner 1, Just after the sign on right
Corner 2, Just after the sign on the right, car lines up with Mobil sign behind then throttle on
Corner 3 AI goes farther to the right side than I usually do
Corner 4, later than I think, target near the sign on the right, maybe my turn in is too early
Corner 5 Before the red color change in the grass.

What errors are you making?

My guess follow, I posted a video but the following might be typical simRacing amateur driver errors that you remember having problems with and can you verify that they are things to work on.

Tire lock up: tire sound and marks on track indicate this vs threshod breaking. Should look at which tires with side camera I guess. What is the solution to lockup, what should I practice or how should I practice?

Not sure the foot work is correct (what is your break, throttle on and off sequence and timing?)

Are you taking the wrong line, braking too late–early?
Yes wide of apex, wrong line is my guess as to my random error, Yes breaking too early and maybe TOO hard. Should I try to pick a point on my hood where the curb should pass driving it slowly? Do others do this?

Do the front wheels tend to lock-up excessively?
Yes often the unweighted front right (4 turn Brasilia is all rights) but this is my fault I assume. Working on finding the threshold point. Tried just doing breaking tests but did not do enough of them. I dont know which tires lock.
What do you suggest for seeing which tires lock (front or rear)? Bias? Break in a straighter line and trail break?

Can you point it towards the straight quickly after the apex?
No,but I have not been thinking this way. Should I be trying this?

Does the car follow your steering input well, and where does it not do this?
Most of the time. .
Sometimes pulls right on entry in corner 2 and sometimes 5. I guess Breaking too much while turning.
Maybe the brake bias is too far to the rear?

Today's lap on YouTube link below. My 1st view of how I am not using the full track. Not getting close to all the apex curbs. Turn 5 was the worst and the Front Right Tire locked up. Bias default: 68 F, 32 R 90%

Thanks
Rick

Last edited:
Make sure you use the rF1 not the rF2 version. (watch out they have the same file name).

https://sites.google.com/site/midid...dmotion-plugin/real-head-motion-for-rfactor-1

Look for download arrow at lower right hand corner or use the following which is a copy of the link from that download arrow.

https://sites.google.com/site/midid...r-1/RealHeadMotion_1.1.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

EVERY NEW PROFILE
Set the Head motion to 0% in the Menu Control settings.
First, edit the file UserData\player\player.PLR
And change those lines like this
Cockpit Vibration Mult1="0.00000" // Primary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
Cockpit Vibration Freq1="0.00000" // Primary rate of vibration affects eyepoint position (higher framerates allow higher rates)
Cockpit Vibration Mult2="0.00000" // Secondary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
Cockpit Vibration Freq2="0.00000" // Secondary rate of vibration affects eyepoint orientation
Car Vibration Mult1="0.00000" // Vibration multiplier affects cameras attached directly to the car
So the internal camera vibration will not interfere
Then set the max pitch/roll as default =>
Look Up/Down Angle="0.40000" // Angle to look up/down (pitch) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
Leanahead Angle="0.00000" // Angle to lean head (roll) w/ steering in radians (= degrees / 57)
Look Roll Angle="0.75000" // Angle to lean head (roll) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)

Then copy RealHeadMotion.dll in \Plugins\

Configuration File
It must be in same directory than the DLL file.
Default commented .ini in ZIP archive.

Test your car, go drive in some grass, car body moves but horizon movement is much less. I have had some intermittent fails of plugin starting. (like with V12 for some reason) Try different cars.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 205 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 148 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 110 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 209 14.3%