Grr.... 15 servers all with lag or is it me

Right I touched on this a little in the following thread

http://forum.racedepartment.com/gtr-evolution/7635-few-noob-questions.html

I tried 15, YES 15 servers so far tonight and every single one of them I am getting lag (synchronizing game 486ms or there abouts)

I have tried adding exceptions in the Windows firewall for all the ports listed in the manual (UDP and TCP+UDP)

I have also opened these ports on my router (Netgear DG834 v2 wired NOT WiFi)

So I'm guessing that perhaps there maybe something else going on here.

If anyone can offer me any sort of advise I would greatly appreciate it as I'm really getting frustrated with this to the point of giving up every having another race online :pout:

a few facts:

My ISP is ORANGE 4Mb, I've done a speed test just now and it came in at just under 3 Mb down 355 up

All my other games are working no problem online, CoD4, Supreme Commander, Warhammer 40K, CoH

I live in the UK (Northern Ireland)

250 - 285Kb are normal for downloading files etc...

Its probably you - most likely because your ISP is Orange who aren't exactly the best...

You say your other games work fine which is a bit weird - all i can think of is its something to do with the ports Race 07 uses and that Orange may traffic shape/block them at certain times. Can you check if you get this problem at non peak hours?

Yes it happens if there are cars there or not, what normally happens is I pull out of the garage I get the "synchronisizing game xxxms) at the top of the screen ( starts low 10 -15 ms and gradually goes up to 486 - 490ms, never higher.

The game just jump horibbly, one second I am approachng the bend, the next I'm off the track heading for the sand/barriers

Its probably you - most likely because your ISP is Orange who aren't exactly the best...

You say your other games work fine which is a bit weird - all i can think of is its something to do with the ports Race 07 uses and that Orange may traffic shape/block them at certain times. Can you check if you get this problem at non peak hours?

James, I was on tuesday night between 7 and 9 then last night between 9 and 10 o clock and this afternoon from 4 until now 6 ish all with the same results. after a few trys each night I came out and went to play CoD4 with no problems.

What times would you suggest I should try?

Late at night - around midnight is a good time. Either that or midday on a weekday should be good to check. When i used to have Virgin ADSL they used to limit everything from about 4PM-10PM on a weekday, that said, some things were always limited and never really worked at any time. Ventrilo always cut out and had a huge ping because they used to block the traffic as it was apparently torrent traffic :rolleyes:

Other thing to try is take your PC to someone elses house who have a different ISP and see if you get the same result.

Hmm first thing in the morning maybe tricky I start work @ 8PM so I'm usually flying round getting ready, but I definately get up earlier one morning next week to try it out, the late night will probably be a little easier so I'll give that a go also. I assume you would advise against testing at the weekend because obviously there are more people on?

Might try my nephews ISP, he on BT so I'll perhaps try this weekend

Bad router

Right, I remembered I had a router sent to me by Orange when I joined up so I decided to give it a try...and hey voila, super smooth racing all day. I'll give it another week before I smash the other one into a million pieces just to be on the safe side:pound:Happy days, the trouble is I can only access these forums from my daughters PC as mine still displays the DNS front end error message from when you guys changed servers even though both PC's are wired into the same router...strange.

• Kieran Mcgeachy

now u can enjoy your racing steven as im sure it was cracking u up as it does with every1 wen u get a bad server!!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.3%