AC Group C @ Watkins Glen Boot Classic - Tuesday 30th March 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Giving this a go, sounds fun.

Just to double check it's this one?

Last edited:
Giving this a go, sounds fun.

Just to double check it's this one?

The sure thing is to follow the link from the mods section on s.gp.

Probably really bad karma to bring it up, but an interesting if macabre note: In 1973 in turn 7, a German fellow named Helmuth Koinigg showed what would have happened to Romain Grosjean without modern safety measures. Maybe the worst incident in F1 history, a year after Francois Cevert's death in turn 3 drove Jackie Stewart into retirement.
Yeah, I remember those historic dramas very well, so it instantly came to my mind when Grosjean crashed this way. However Helmut was from Austria and this accident happend in 1974.

In 1973 at Watkins Glen we lost Francois Cevert, who had dazzling blue eyes, huge talent and a great calm and funny attitude.

Last edited:
Racing has its dark side Jon, luckily, so far I have not come across one fatality in sim racing, plenty of bruised egos, but no fatalities. :unsure:
True dat, Ernie, though there is an occasional heart palpitation or two... Even in VR with the best equipment and the amazing sims we're using, you don't get the same rush of the real thing, but crashing hurts way way less...
It does sadly seem like when I think back on a track I always come around to remembering those we lost there... probably says something about me... but by far the best part of modern racing imo is the remarkable improvements in safety and the willingness of ruling bodies and track owners to do whatever they can to keep making it even safer. (I did work Trauma care for 30 years, so that does warp one's perspective on things).

Yeah, I remember those historic dramas very well, so it instantly came to my mind when Grosjean crashed this way. However Helmut was from Austria and this accident happend in 1974.

In 1973 at Watkins Glen we lost Francois Cevert, who had dazzling blue eyes, huge talent and a great calm and funny attitude.
Right you are... should have looked it up instead of trusting the old memory. Life in the Google age, look it up before you post or you get called every time, lol :D

The long uphill section is strong for the LT here, more so with the C9, both are weak in the rest of the circuit, but you have to overtake the fat thing.
Pretty sure that it will come down to the Mazda and ST being far easier to handle, much less likely for a mistake, both the LT and C9 will eventually wilt under the constant pressure for all of the rest of the circuit in a 30 min sprint.
Once they get by, the gap will increase and the uphill section will become a bridge too far.
This is what I like about this formula, it is an unknown outcome for all of us, I could go for the ST, Andreas too, it would just be a predictable race of who can get nearest to that 100% grip race. :)

PS I love Group C , because I never have a clue about it’s outcome, Gt3, well, I know that before I start. :unsure:

Last edited:
I switched to the C9, i hope to see the checkered flag :roflmao:

Do you think the hard tires will last with 80/100% turbo if drived carefully?

I switched to the C9, i hope to see the checkered flag :roflmao:

Do you think the hard tires will last with 80/100% turbo if drived carefully?
Yes great choice mate :)

Last time @ Spa I ran the mediums and they were gone after 20min. So hards are the only option here. If they will last... I hope :D But how do one drive the C9 carefully? :D

I hoped at Spa Andreas you had not spotted the Mediums shortcomings, unfortunately for me, you are not going to make that mistake again. :(

Struggled a bit with the mazda today. It's great until it goes any bit sideways, then it's not great. Found it very hard to recover any sort of slide.

They are all like that, you may prefer the ST, it has considerably more down force, drives more like a GT3 car.
LT 565 kg DF
C9 670 Kg DF
Mazda 800kg DF
ST 1100kg DF
I certainly was not going to test every possible combination of wings and ride height, so tested them with my race setups for each car, 150mph

They are all like that, you may prefer the ST, it has considerably more down force, drives more like a GT3 car.
LT 565 kg DF
C9 670 Kg DF
Mazda 800kg DF
ST 1100kg DF
I certainly was not going to test every possible combination of wings and ride height, so tested them with my race setups for each car, 150mph

Interesting. Is that with the wings at max or min settings?

@Stefano La Commare saw you took out those beasts for a spin. Now you have to join us tomorrow as well ;) Havn't seen you for some time

@Erik Axelsson when will you announce your switch to the C9? :p
Just in case @Erik Axelsson and I have the same satisfying race with the 962 here as we had at spa I'd be open for the challenge that Erik and I both choose the C9 for the next event. ;)

I know it would be very tough, especially with my cheap pedals but I'd like to prove then I'm a real man. :x3:

Also it would give @640er a tiny, very well deserved advantage in experience.

So, what do you guys think? (Man I'm already worrying I really wrote this :confused:)

Short tail for me, my question is fuel load for the race? Had half an hour and was hitting 1:37 quite consistently on the mediums but after reading this thread I'll be changing to hards! I'm guessing 20 something laps of fuel

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 339 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 173 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.4%