AC Group C @ Salzburgring - Tuesday 1st June 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Really nice track to drive. I'll say it again! The camber in the corners is really cool.

Not much battles for me unfortunately. Really enjoyed the mazda though.

Not sure if my straight line speed approach was the right one to take with it. I was a nice bit faster than the ST in the straights. Maybe if 100% damage was on it could compete better with the LT and C9 on this type of track. The engine is bullet proof in the mazda.

At watkins glen i went the opposite way, was slower than the ST on the straights but had similar corner speed. There is possibly a balance there somewhere. A lot more practice and skills needed of course. I've easily 20 times more seat time in the ST. Will tinker with it again next time. I struggled for lateral grip really bad through the last 3 corners. Never got time to look at camber or anything to try and improve it. I'm either on the edge of cracking it or the edge of a cliff :p

All the cars have basic problems, 100% damage kills the C9 and LT. That leaves the Mazda and ST, problem is that the ST has a lot more down force than the Mazda. At 150 mph the Mazda has 800kg of down force to the ST 1100kg. Wing obviously makes a noticeable difference so I have gone for an average setups, Mazda rear wing about 11
The only way I can see is a very twisty circuit, as mentioned above, so the Mazda can use loads of wing, just as the LT can be effective against the C9 on some circuits..
I think the main feeling is against the C9 and then LT these are very difficult cars to drive, even our resident aliens struggle, admittedly at a faster pace.
I think just turning up and driving makes the LT and C9 difficult to get to grips with.
I think a really twisty circuit would give the Mazda a fighting chance, I have run the Mazda at Le Mans, it is very quick on the straights compared to the ST, but I just cannot keep it on the track with its wing less than 10, so for me it’s a looser there, maybe brands hatch GP might be an idea
Or a Mazda only race. The Sound is just so good.,
Enjoyed my race very much, it was good for a change not to have Andreas pull away on every straight.:roflmao::roflmao:
Reik certainly got a 100% from the ST, quit amazing times, but once we had the C9 pointing straight the ST was at a massive disadvantage, the last bend on the straight was a real eye opener for down force, the ST was flat out in 5th, my C9 was in 3rd gear, but once straight, the acceleration was epic.
Thank you to @Interslice for organisation of a race that should really be oversubscribed, maybe when the spg gets going the numbers will grow as in out Wednesday Mazda and Audi race.:)

Thanks a lot @Reik Major for the vid with the pedal inputs! I learned some good lessons. :notworthy:
Staying in 3rd at the first hairpin seems to bring a lot of stability to the car. :thumbsup:
Your way of handling the last two corners is so fast also, you must be gaining a lot of speed on the straight. Yet you brake later than me at T1, this is insane! :roflmao:

Last edited:
Well done to @640er and @Kek700 on their wins, and how close where those qualifying times for the top three! awesome stuff and Reik’s performance in the ‘slow’ Porsche was outstanding.
As a relative novice at this (and especially in these monsters) I was happy to just finish both races without any major excursions into the Austrian countryside!
I was only running the turbo at 70% as in the limited practice and set up time I had, I found this to be the most consistent set up for me. More experience and running these cars would see a turbo boost button added to the wheel but stopping the thing might be interesting.
In the first race I was trying to hang onto Brian and was making progress but the medium tyres were past their bests and I spun into the barriers as I tried to get the power down on the last corner.
Race two and starting from pole... a successful start for a change and I led into the first chicane.......a result! But I was well aware that it wouldn’t be long before the faster guys would be filling my mirrors and not wanting to spoil anyone’s race I kept well out of the way.

As in race one, I tried to keep Brian in view but my mirrors were full of Sylvain’s Porsche this time and we had a great battle. Sylvain was quicker on the brakes and through the tighter corners but the C9 just so much quicker in a straight line. As my mediums went off I was slow through the last corner and Sylvain tapped my rear causing him to spin. Then on the last lap Brian went off and I hung on for a very distant fourth place.
I really enjoy the variety that these races bring and the racing is fun and fair, what more do we need? ( maybe a long endurance race with pit stops????).
Thanks to @Interslice and @640er for organising and hosting this event, well done to everyone and looking forward to the next one!

You ran surprisingly consistent with such a monster and limited practice Paul!
I had such a blast racing with you in Race 2, I'm looking forward to see you on the grid again!

All the cars have basic problems, 100% damage kills the C9 and LT. That leaves the Mazda and ST
May I ask why we don't use 100% damage? That would equalize a bit the field no?
Doing an endurance race with those cars would be crazy but awesome!

Last edited:
All the cars have basic problems, 100% damage kills the C9 and LT. That leaves the Mazda and ST, problem is that the ST has a lot more down force than the Mazda. At 150 mph the Mazda has 800kg of down force to the ST 1100kg. Wing obviously makes a noticeable difference so I have gone for an average setups, Mazda rear wing about 11
The only way I can see is a very twisty circuit, as mentioned above, so the Mazda can use loads of wing, just as the LT can be effective against the C9 on some circuits..
I think the main feeling is against the C9 and then LT these are very difficult cars to drive, even our resident aliens struggle, admittedly at a faster pace.
I think just turning up and driving makes the LT and C9 difficult to get to grips with.
I think a really twisty circuit would give the Mazda a fighting chance, I have run the Mazda at Le Mans, it is very quick on the straights compared to the ST, but I just cannot keep it on the track with its wing less than 10, so for me it’s a looser there, maybe brands hatch GP might be an idea
Or a Mazda only race. The Sound is just so good.,
Enjoyed my race very much, it was good for a change not to have Andreas pull away on every straight.:roflmao::roflmao:
Reik certainly got a 100% from the ST, quit amazing times, but once we had the C9 pointing straight the ST was at a massive disadvantage, the last bend on the straight was a real eye opener for down force, the ST was flat out in 5th, my C9 was in 3rd gear, but once straight, the acceleration was epic.
Thank you to @Interslice for organisation of a race that should really be oversubscribed, maybe when the spg gets going the numbers will grow as in out Wednesday Mazda and Audi race.:)

Well done to @640er and @Kek700 on their wins, and how close where those qualifying times for the top three! awesome stuff and Reik’s performance in the ‘slow’ Porsche was outstanding.
As a relative novice at this (and especially in these monsters) I was happy to just finish both races without any major excursions into the Austrian countryside!
I was only running the turbo at 70% as in the limited practice and set up time I had, I found this to be the most consistent set up for me. More experience and running these cars would see a turbo boost button added to the wheel but stopping the thing might be interesting.
In the first race I was trying to hang onto Brian and was making progress but the medium tyres were past their bests and I spun into the barriers as I tried to get the power down on the last corner.
Race two and starting from pole... a successful start for a change and I led into the first chicane.......a result! But I was well aware that it wouldn’t be long before the faster guys would be filling my mirrors and not wanting to spoil anyone’s race I kept well out of the way.

As in race one, I tried to keep Brian in view but my mirrors were full of Sylvain’s Porsche this time and we had a great battle. Sylvain was quicker on the brakes and through the tighter corners but the C9 just so much quicker in a straight line. As my mediums went off I was slow through the last corner and Sylvain tapped my rear causing him to spin. Then on the last lap Brian went off and I hung on for a very distant fourth place.
I really enjoy the variety that these races bring and the racing is fun and fair, what more do we need? ( maybe a long endurance race with pit stops????).
Thanks to @Interslice and @640er for organising and hosting this event, well done to everyone and looking forward to the next one!

Nice driving paul. I couldn't open much of a gap up, after about 3 laps it stayed the same. I thought the second race was over a lap early and switched off briefly. Realised then it was backmarkers in the distance and not the lads doing donuts. Only switched off for a few seconds but that's enough to crash these things! Hard tyres and more turbo i'd say you would have been right on top of me all race or even ahead.

On s.gp we will loose the double race so pitstops and longer runs could be an option. A little break is needed!

You ran surprisingly consistent with such a monster and limited practice Paul!
I had such a blast racing with you in Race 2, I'm looking forward to see you on the grid again!

May I ask why we don't use 100% damage? That would equalize a bit the field no?
Doing an endurance race with those cars would be crazy but awesome!

With 100% damage it would just be all 962 ST and the odd mazda. Maybe at no chicane le mans you would get the C9 and LT featuring.

Thanks again gents for another great evenings racing. Next week were off to sachsenring for some classic touring car racing. Hope you can all make it!

Last edited:
Nice driving paul. I couldn't open much of a gap up, after about 3 laps it stayed the same. I thought the second race was over a lap early and switched off briefly. Realised then it was backmarkers in the distance and not the lads doing donuts. Only switched off for a few seconds but that's enough to crash these things! Hard tyres and more turbo i'd say you would have been right on top of me all race or even ahead.

On s.gp we will loose the double race so pitstops and longer runs could be an option. A little break is needed!
Thanks Brian, it’s so easy to lose these cars, 100% concentration required for the whole race. I tried the hards in practice but could not get a stable lap in and it felt very nervous. But when I saw Ernie on hards, saw him disappear and then saw his lap times.........well more work to do on the set up I think ! I’m guessing more turbo gets the hards to work. I tried the ST with default set up straight after the race and it felt like a MX 5 compared with the C9 !!!! In the race Reik came past me through the last chicane and the way he powerslid onto the finish straight was awesome and something to aspire to. Work in progress!

Sorry for my poor showing last night. I skimmed the first post and thought the quali started 2010 utc. When I joined the server the first I heard from Crew Chief was "Ok, get ready!" (It was at this moment he knew he f*cked up).

So I let everyone do the first laps and then joined at the back. Passed Jim, then promptly spun out :redface:

I'll try to up my game (and reading comprehension) next time!

Thank you guys for racing. Was a great combo and it sounds like most of you had decent fun :thumbsup:

This track suited the C9 very well. Be extremly quick on the straights and make yourself as wide as possible worked really good. Could keep @Reik Major behind me even if he was clearly faster ;) In the second race I was alone at the front most of the time. At the end @Kek700 appeared out of nowhere putting pressure on me. Penultimate lap I went a bit too early on the throttle going on to the main straight, had to lift a bit and lost the drag race down into T1. Well deserved victory for you Ernie, great speed :thumbsup:

Let'S see what we will do next time. Maybe it's time for a special event...

Last edited:
Thanks again to everyone who made this group C event great. Next one is the Mazda 787b special event this tuesday at Fuji Speedway. Hope you can join!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%