Group C, Classic Porsche and Plenty More in Latest RaceRoom Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
A new update and plenty of additional content has been released today for RaceRoom Racing Experience.

Headlining the new build of R3E will no doubt be the latest fresh content DLC to drop for the sim. Adding for the very first time vehicles from the historic Group C era, players now have the opportunity to purchase either the iconic Porsche 962C or Nissan R90 CK as additional game DLC, with the Group C pack retailing for approximately £9.36.

Powerful, high downforce and capable of matching the speeds achieved by Formula One cars of the period, Group C has long been held in high regard by fans of sportscar racing. Having announced recently as heading to R3E, this new content addition will no doubt provide an exciting prospect for those of us looking for high-speed endurance racing thrills…

First Look – Check out our RaceRoom Group C Talk ‘n’ Drive HERE.

In other content news, the new update also adds a further classic Porsche into the mix, introducing my personal favourite, the Porsche 911 Carrera Cup (964), a rear engine high performance and well-known racing car that held centre stage in the one make Porsche Carrera Cup series in the early 1990’s. This new class retails for around £3.40.

Featuring much less downforce than is enjoyed by fellow new content offerings of the Group C machines, this new class of car is much more orientated towards driver skill and race craft, making it potentially the perfect candidate for close door-to-door racing action.

First Look – Check out our RaceRoom Porsche 911 Carrera Cup (964) Talk ‘n’ Drive HERE.

While it is perhaps inevitable that the three new cars grab much of the headlines, the new build also includes a sizeable changelog and range of improvements to the core game experience. Of these, highlights include the long awaited inclusion of tyre pressures - although only available on selected cars for now.

Update details:
Download size = ca 15 GB
Client version = 0.3.0.6544
Client BuildID = 3708189
Dedi version = 50.0.906
Dedi BuildID = 3708152

R3E Update.jpg

Content
  • Added Group C car class with Porsche 962 C Team Joest and Nissan R90CK
  • Added Porsche Carrera Cup Classic car class with Porsche 911 Carrera Cup (964)
  • Modified parts of the Porsche 934 RSR to remove certain after-market elements such as the exhaust pipe.

Game
  • Dedicated server - Added a list of currently connected players, with live counter of their incident points and a Kick button.
  • Dedicated server - Added a session information block with a "Next Session" functionality.
  • Dedicated server - Added a ban functionality.
  • Dedicated server - Color tweaks to the UI for better readability when server is running.
  • Dedicated server - The results json now includes the userID of the other player involved in a car to car collision.

• Implemented a more discrete notification block on the HUD to replace the big and intrusive overlays that warn of penalties.
  • Added loads of new telemetry and various data to Shared Memory block, bringing it to v2.6 and breaking backward compatibility with 3rd party applications and drivers.
  • Added r3e-data.json inside ..\Game\GameData\General\ for easier access by 3rd party applications
  • Introducing Tyre Pressure in car setup for the cars released today as well as a selection of older cars (see below)
  • Added support for in-gameplay overlays, allowing for custom HUD widgets using web. See https://github.com/sector3studios/webhud for full details.
  • Multiplayer - Fixed the vibrating opponent cars in pitlane and grid
  • Player can now adjust the brake bias even in fixed car setup conditions
  • Spectator overlays - changed r3e.getVehicleInfo.drsLeft to use amount of drs activations left, instead of just true or false
  • Single Player - Grid Position selector now takes into account multiclass and will place the player in the selected position within the same car class or same performance index classes.

• Fixed an issue on Sepang South when using VR
  • Fixed Brake assists showing up in the wrong order in the Gameplay Settings selector
  • Fixed sometimes incorrect lap counts or session timers when watching replays
  • Fixed a multiplayer issue on Timing screen where the player with the fastest lap would leave the server and would result in broken split time calculations
  • Fixed ADAC 2018 drivers not changing during pitstops

• Oschersleben - New set of Static cameras ("Pg Down" key to switch to TV cameras, then "End" key to cycle through camera sets)
  • Paul Ricard - New set of Static cameras
  • Silverstone - New set of Static cameras
  • Slovakiaring - New set of Static cameras
  • Shanghai - New set of Static cameras
  • Stowe - New set of Static cameras
  • RaceRoom Raceway - New set of Static cameras
  • RedBull Ring - New set of Static cameras
  • Road America - New set of Static cameras
  • Sachsenring - New set of Static cameras
  • Salzburgring - New set of Static cameras
  • Suzuka - New set of Static cameras
  • GTR1 car class - Added set of action cameras ("Home" key to cycle)
  • Sounds - Replaced some suspension samples
  • Sounds - Implemented a new set of samples and triggers for sounds of pedals being pressed in Aquila, Audi 90 GTO, Audi R18, BMW 320 Turbo, Chevrolet Daytona Prototype, DMD P20, DMD P21, Fabcar 935, Mistral M530, Mistral M531, Nissan Silvia Turbo, Nissan Skyline 2000RS, Nissan 300ZX, Nissan R90CK, Nissan Skyline GTR R32, Porsche 934 RSR, Radical SR9 Turbo and V8, Ruf CTR3, Volvo 240 Turbo, Zakspeed Capri.
  • Sounds - Reduced volume of drones in aerial cameras
  • Sounds - Chevrolet Corvette C6 GT2 - Improved volume balance between external and internal sounds.
  • Sounds - Chevrolet Corvette Greenwood - Increased volume of the engine startup and engine idle (both interior and exterior)
  • Physics - Added Tyre pressure to Formula RaceRoom Junior
  • Physics - Added Tyre pressure to GTR2 cars
  • Physics - Added Tyre pressure to GTR4 cars
  • Physics - Added Tyre pressure to Mercedes DTM 1995, along with all-around handling improvements
  • Physics - Added Tyre pressure to Pagani Zonda R
  • Physics - Added Tyre pressure to Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
  • Physics - Added Tyre pressure to Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport, tweaks to transmission, gearshifts and dampers

• Physics - BOP adjustments to GTR3 cars
  • Physics - BOP adjustments to GTO cars, Updated friction values, Updated oscillations, More accurate Mustang front suspension joints
  • Physics - BOP adjustments to Group 5 cars.
  • Physics - Aquila - Tweaked upshifts and behaviour on pit limiter
  • Physics - Audi TT RS VLN - Fixed some tyre marks left on tarmac when changing gears, updated engine and transmission rod stiffness, improved behaviour on pit limiter and the automatic gearbox logic.
  • Physics - Formula RaceRoom Junior - Imrpoved behaviour over bumps, curbs and crests. Improved dog box shifts behaviour. Adjustments to transmission oscillations.
  • Physics - NSU TTS - Fixed AI sometimes overshooting the pitbox, the car now also has its own set of pitstop timers
  • Physics - Porsche 934 RSR - Improved behaviour over bumps, curbs and crests. Adjustments to transmission oscillations.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a PC exclusive racing simulation from Sector3 Studios, and is available to download now.

Check out the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RD to join in the discussion, find some awesome League and Club Racing events, and of course download a mod or two as well..

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
They should be expected to be slower as their aero was not as good as today (even with the venturi tunnels), tires were not as advanced and other components such as brakes were not as advanced. I believe steel brake discs were de-riguer on the Gp. C cars.

While the power may have been more (though I do not think they could approach LMP1H power) the relative lack of aero (compared to today's cars) and the technological differences do not allow them to turn as quick of lap times unless they were in the hands of very good drivers.

Some good points, but I'll chip in to set some things straight. Peak downforce of these two cars is really very close to what current P1s can do, within 5% actually. Where comes the difference is that the modern cars do it much more efficiently, ie with much less drag. In addition, peak downforce isn't the holy grail of a quick car - usable downforce across a wide range of ride heights is. Modern cars can produce consistent downforce as the nose and tail pitches up and down. Conversely our two cars are very sensitive to ground clearance to the point that the car will loose 50% of it's downforce with just a few mm ride height variation. P1s also use the magic spring to keep ride height more consistent, and that wasn't invented until the mid 90s. In addition 30 years of tyre development has yielded a lot of grip. Back when Group C was king, there were many instances of tyres exploding under the huge downforce, so tyre manufacturers built tyres to be strong, so they were stiff as concrete. Carbon brakes were also standard kit by the early 90, but again that was 30 years ago and things have come on somewhat.

Some good points, but I'll chip in to set some things straight. Peak downforce of these two cars is really very close to what current P1s can do, within 5% actually. Where comes the difference is that the modern cars do it much more efficiently, ie with much less drag. In addition, peak downforce isn't the holy grail of a quick car - usable downforce across a wide range of ride heights is. Modern cars can produce consistent downforce as the nose and tail pitches up and down. Conversely our two cars are very sensitive to ground clearance to the point that the car will loose 50% of it's downforce with just a few mm ride height variation. P1s also use the magic spring to keep ride height more consistent, and that wasn't invented until the mid 90s. In addition 30 years of tyre development has yielded a lot of grip. Back when Group C was king, there were many instances of tyres exploding under the huge downforce, so tyre manufacturers built tyres to be strong, so they were stiff as concrete. Carbon brakes were also standard kit by the early 90, but again that was 30 years ago and things have come on somewhat.

Yep. You said it better than I did. Thanks! Please note: I used the term Aero instead of downforce for a reason.

What is the Magic Spring? I was aware that the aero was very iffy if the plenum under the car was upset (as used to occur in the F1 cars with the sliding skirt) and I knew the ability to keep the car "level" was one of the issues the Gp.C and earlier ground effects cars had, but I was not aware of how they fixed it other than better tech.

Again: Nicely done!

Yep. You said it better than I did. Thanks! Please note: I used the term Aero instead of downforce for a reason.

What is the Magic Spring? I was aware that the aero was very iffy if the plenum under the car was upset (as used to occur in the F1 cars with the sliding skirt) and I knew the ability to keep the car "level" was one of the issues the Gp.C and earlier ground effects cars had, but I was not aware of how they fixed it other than better tech.

Again: Nicely done!

Of course you did, sorry didn't mean to step on your toes. Aero is usually used as a word synonymous with downforce so I presumed that's what you meant.

I actually meant to write magic third spring. Whereby a central third spring on each axle is used to take the aero loading. Before that was invented, the cars were sprung as stiff as a rollerskate.

Do I need to start the dash.exe up every time I boot the game if I want to use the new HUD?

Had the game crash on me yesterday but I didn't screenshot the error it popped up. Not sure if it was to do with the HUD or what.

Do I need to start the dash.exe up every time I boot the game if I want to use the new HUD?

Had the game crash on me yesterday but I didn't screenshot the error it popped up. Not sure if it was to do with the HUD or what.
Yes I wondered the same. Downloaded the update but haven't run it yet. Georg Ortner's preview stream referred to the new HUD and earlier in this thread there's a reference to downloading something from GitHub and running this dash.exe. Is this new HUD option included with the base game or a separate element??

Didnt have the game for long sorry for the naive question but will i lose my control settings after the update?
Better to save a copy of the control settings file surely but which file and where is it saved?

Thanks

Yes, it is a background program which actually creates the hud on the screen. I works a bit like the CrewChief, but for visual effects :)

Didnt have the game for long sorry for the naive question but will i lose my control settings after the update?
Better to save a copy of the control settings file surely but which file and where is it saved?

Thanks
that never occured to me, i have few profiles (one for driving and one for recording) and nothing changed after a lot of updates

control settings are in:
C:\Users\user name\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet

I tried the Porsche 964 last night. That car is a handful. Cool car but challenging to drive at the limit.

It's a brilliant car, perhaps one of the best renditions of a vintage 911 in any racing sim to date. I've probably put in about 50 laps with it at Suzuka. Once you understand the handling limits the 964 is sublime beyond words. Brilliant job by the R3E team. Hands down my favorite car in R3E and the next best thing to a classic street 911.

I was having some issues with manual blipping in the 964. Response from a Sector 3 dev cleared things up for me. Impressive level of detail !

ahh.JPG

Welp, that's done it - sucked back in. :roflmao:

This sim just drives so great. Sometimes I think the sim community has a weird notion of "realism" and it seems to turn into a debate about mathematics at a certain point. I am not smart enough to judge how well R3E does math, I can just tell you my considered observations based on having real world track experience:

- I can drive any of these cars at 9/10's and be almost bored. The magic happens between going from being bored at 9/10's and sweating my ass off at 10/10's!

- You can overdrive these cars and, with a little skill/luck, not die. In many (most?) other sims, overdriving seems to be insta-death.

Welp, that's done it - sucked back in. :roflmao:
- I can drive any of these cars at 9/10's and be almost bored. The magic happens between going from being bored at 9/10's and sweating my ass off at 10/10's!

I'm the same. My missus wonders whats going on sometimes because she can here me huffing and puffing whilst trying to do a fast lap.. I remember once leaving voice activation on during a club race here and Kenny and the others asking me if I was alright. :D:roflmao: I must have sounded like an old unfit man trying his best to keep up with these young hotshots. And I was. :p:notworthy:

Oh and I am am only racing at 8/10's, anymore and I will suffer an heart attack.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm not sure when this happened, but they have fixed the Formula Jr!!!

I can say it now: that car had to be the WORST car I have driven in any racing sim. Just awful - physics felt totally canned, to the point where I found it undrivable.

I just fired it up today...I don't know what else to say, besides the fact that the cockpit graphics look the same (near as I can tell) it's a completely different car. Simply wonderful! It dances and slides gloriously and feels totally organic and fluid the whole time. AND they've fixed the sound (which used to be so bad, it stuck out like a sore thumb next to R3E's normally awesome sounds). It's a whole new car as far as I'm concerned and I can't wait to lap it more!!!

If this is the result of @Alex Hodgkinson 's "magic touch", consider me a believer!

Wow, I'm not sure when this happened, but they have fixed the Formula Jr!!!

Thank you, glad you like it! We spent the last few months polishing it so everything works as it should. Suspension geometry exacted, aero from wind tunnel tests, engine matched to dyno charts etc etc. The cherry on top was that I raced the car below for two seasons, so I had quite a strong sense of how I wanted it to be..

3258526c69a9efa1373c1c24b82ddfce.jpg

Thank you, glad you like it! We spent the last few months polishing it so everything works as it should. Suspension geometry exacted, aero from wind tunnel tests, engine matched to dyno charts etc etc. The cherry on top was that I raced the car below for two seasons, so I had quite a strong sense of how I wanted it to be..

3258526c69a9efa1373c1c24b82ddfce.jpg
Awesome! Your efforts and expertise are much appreciated!

I think this speaks highly of Sector 3 - the fact that you guys would take the time to go back and revolutionize what is irobably not a terribly popular car (and a car that's been out for a looooong time and, frankly, probably forgotten about by many).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 289 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.9%