Group C at the Nordschleife

Interslice

Staff
Premium
This is becoming a bit of an obsession! I'm not into hotlapping. It's a lonely pursuit, but the last 2 months I've really got into learning this track. It's so good. One of those things in life where the more you put into it the more you get out of it.

I was delighted to get around in under 7 minutes for the first time earlier this week. It's not crazy difficult in the amazing 962c but it needs a good clean lap which is easier said than done. The tyres management in particular is tricky. I had started originally in the mazda 787b, on the public realistic track day servers, but i found it too twitchy for this track!

Reading subsequently about the history of porsche at the ring, right up to the 919 evo in 2018, I decided to give the short tail a try and haven't looked back! Even made a video about it :geek:

I would recommend to anyone to give this combo a try. I hope one day to visit the ring and do a few laps. The traffic would be the one thing putting me off! Sim racing doesn't have that issue!

I’m new to AC (got it this weekend) and have spent almost all my time at Nürburgring GP, but I did go one time to Nordschliefe and was amazed at how interesting and varied that track is. Not in the least surprised you ended up obsessed with it. :) Looking forward to your next video on this.

Last edited:
I’m new to AC (got it this weekend) and have spent almost all my time at Nürburgring GP, but I did go one time to Nordschliefe and was amazed at how interesting and varied that track is. Not in the least surprised you ended up obsessed with it. :) Looking forward to your next video on this.

Welcome to AC! There is so much depth to this game there is something for everyone get stuck into.

Just uploading part 2 here now, I've done a bit at the start on the setup. The default toe was negative... anyone ever run negative toe on a car... 4wd maybe? Dropping the rear wing from 5 in the the last vid to 3 it runs out of the corners a bit quicker, so quicker in 3rd instead of 2nd to gain low speed grip. So much of these group C cars is all about the gearing replacing the traction control! It's much more stable now at low speeds and hard braking at the expence of some the high speed stabitily. Decent progress though as I havn't done many laps since.

I was messing there with no wing and a slightly longer gear set. I'll have to come back to it fresh! The gears i think are an improvement. 2nd is more shoeable.

Attachments

• test1no wing.ini
    1.2 KB · Views: 59
In the first video you posted, are you using a special skin or graphics upgrade for the grass and trees? Which ppfilter? Everything looks so much better in the video than what I see on my system.

Great videos BTW. Love the track. Drive it more than anything else, but i'm still learning it so I love watching videos of how other people tackle the track.

In the first video you posted, are you using a special skin or graphics upgrade for the grass and trees? Which ppfilter? Everything looks so much better in the video than what I see on my system.

Great videos BTW. Love the track. Drive it more than anything else, but i'm still learning it so I love watching videos of how other people tackle the track.

Hey joe. I'm running CSP and SOL mods. Haven't messed with their specific settings much.

Here are my Video setting in Content manager.

CM AC video settings.JPG

Glad you like the videos, I enjoy making them and it helps get my head around where I'm going wrong too.

Last edited:
Back to AC. RF2 never really called me back.. Had the first proper go at Nords tonight for ages. Had to try it in VR!! I was waiting to get it setup and dialled in.. It's really good, amazing experience..You get a a great sense of the speed and elevation changes.

Racing lines are improving and I've added a few safe kerbs but, there is still plenty of easy time to be had just by using more of the track and sorting out some braking zones.
Alot of inconsistent corners. T1 and the very last corner I still nearly always make a mess of. The right left exit to flugplatz straight. Plenty of others!
Not getting enough speed through the first carousel. I'll eventually have to raise the car up again to sort that and generally mess with the suspension to try and get more kerbs involved. It's coming together now and I feel like I finally know the track to a certain extent. Looking forward to getting to the point where I'm looking at the finer details of every corner, which is the part I really enjoy.

Back on the hard tyres again after trying many times to get the softs to work to no avail. Real conditions option was selected so air temp was zero this time out.

Not sure how well I've recorded the VR. First attempt at it. Any feedback or tips on that would be welcome!

Last edited:
I put my energy into making it handle the rough surface with a bit of grace... that paid big dividends, especially with getting the power down at corner exit. 1st gear was always rough, though. Tried setup, but short shifting is where I ended up.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back