RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
I shall now leave it at that as it has now gone slightly off topic to the original thread.
No worries mate, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to post them. Going too far off-topic is usually a no-no, but this is an event thread which has run it's course so it's not really a problem here. :thumbsup:

At the risk of sounding like a pixel and framerate crack junkie :D I recently, over the last few months, went through the journey from single-screen (1440p 34" 21:9 100Hz) to VR (Rift S 80Hz) and now to triples (1440p 32" 16:9's 165Hz). On a 2080 super.

The single UW was great but setting it up was a compromise between a realistic FOV and being able to see enough of the track to look to apex in tighter corners, not to mention side to side (crew chief is a life-saver).

VR is totally amazing and 500% better than a single screen but the lack of resolution on 'affordable' displays left me a bit wanting. Since most of the time your vision is trying to look for reference points far into the distance (represented by only a few meagre pixels, it felt like a low-res experience compared to the single screen). Reading text/dashboards while driving was difficult, and the field of view was also quite narrow, so your peripheral vision is not fully utilized. It's not unlike wearing a helmet though, so it suits the driving sim experience. And, you can literally look everywhere so if you want to pull exorcist-like maneuvers to look behind, you can. I also couldn't comfortably use my over-ears headset, so I was also losing part of the audio experience (which is one of the joys of R3E).

I'm only a month into using triple screens and now that I have properly configured the FOV (screen angles, viewing distances, bezel correction, horizon height, and appropriate configs in the sim), I am thoroughly happy with it. I'd rank it as achieving 90% of the VR experience in terms of immersion (so, ~450% better than a single screen). What you give up compared to VR (more accurately simulated depth perception) you gain back in MORE PIXELS! to detail the areas of track you are looking at. I have also oriented my screens to achieve a 170° hFOV so my peripheral is fully utilized, which helps with awareness of where you are on track (the depth part). Looking left/right during the race (using my neck, instead of a button) also feels more natural, like in VR. If the FOV isn't set up right it will feel a bit flat, and possibly like you're in a Halloween "house of mirrors", but once dialed-in it is quite impressive.

In both VR and triples I had to turn down settings compared to the single UW, but with the right combos you can retain enough detail elements (shadows) to keep things looking pretty. Sustaining 100-130 fps in R3E which appears butter smooth.

All that said, once 8k 250Hz 180° FOV VR becomes commonplace I don't think triples will stand a chance. But I'd vote for triples until that day comes.

Have I gone colour-blind or is that car not orange? :geek:

I might have to see if I can have it painted orange when my crew rebuilds it, if they can rebuild it, after I destroyed it trying to do some Leaderboard laps.
That had to be the most frustrating experience since trying to learn how to drive Grand Prix Legends back in 1998.

Update,
Bad news, my guys said the #69 Corvette is not rebuildable, they would have to fab up a whole new car.
So please switch me to the ORANGE # 52 Fabcar please. :D

Last edited:
These cars were made for this track, really good fun throwing them around the Glen! :thumbsup:

Being a new year I told myself I would try something new this time, but I'm having trouble giving up my trusty old Capri. Love that screaming banshee when I hit the straights! The Monza felt quite good too though. Tried the Corvette which literally split my earphones in two as soon as I touched the throttle. Provisionally signing up with the Capri but I'm going to drive the others some more to see if I can ween myself off of it.

It's been interesting messing about with the new engine maps and engine brake settings. Makes a real difference to how these beasts handle, especially if you're using an h-box.

My 2p worth. I've tried VR and couldn't get along with the low resolution and mesh visibility. But as others have said, the immersion is fantastic.

I used to run triple 24" when i raced several years ago but now i'm just using an old 4k 40" TV. As has been said if FOV is set correctly you cant see much but I just rely on the various radar apps anyway. Going for 3 x 32" 144Hz IPS 1440p once good ones are available. I'm running a 2080ti atm but its 2 years old now so may swap it out soon especially if the triple 1440 causes me issues.

Try VR before you commit to the money if you can. Its not for everyone.

Sign me up. Not sure about car yet, its either a question of waaaay too much horsepower and no handling or the other way around...
The Vette can be driven round the entire track using only 2 gears :laugh:. Btw, how much horsepower is that thing delivering? It makes wheelspin at 240kph out of T4 :O_o:

Last edited:
they must have snuck in #10 as a new livery (that is remarkably similar to #9)
The Gr5's were among the classes in which I was missing a few liveries too, which I posted about on the S3 forums. The answer was that sometimes new liveries are created when a class is used for a competition, and are then put on sale afterwards.

I thought I'd stay with the Monza but it always ends up trying to kill me.
I found the Monza to be one of the less murderous machines since you don't have to deal with the turbo lag. :p It's one of the cars I'm using to try and ween myself off the Capri, though it doesn't sound as nice.

Fabcar is starting to get a little beat up, might have to switch to BMW :unsure: it's the only one I can keep on the track for more than 2 consecutive laps. :mad::(:roflmao::O_o::rolleyes::redface::sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 116 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 302 27.8%