RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
RRRE64_2021-01-02_22-01-41.jpg

now, that is close Mr Anthony!
Really nice races. Thanks guys!
Cheers

Well, what a cracking couple of races! I have no idea where my pace came from tonight, though Brands Hatch is probably one of my most-driven tracks in sim racing over the years. I'm sure I'll be back down to the midfield somewhere from next week! :p

Race two especially was great fun coming up through the field. Very good driving by all, and particularly good defending by @Trond Jørmeland who was making his car very wide indeed! :thumbsup: Had a chance at 3rd before my little incident which left me upside-down at the u-bend! It was fun fighting for the last couple of laps though. Apologies to @UHF79, I watched the replay and you're right, I came straight across and squeezed you right off the track with nowhere left to go. I didn't even notice the bump but it was definitely my bad there, sorry. :redface:

All in all, great cars and great track. I was great to see a bunch of new faces on the grid tonight, and I hope to see you boys in the future too! :cool:

My rolling incident. Almost as embarrassing is when I try to get going again in reverse... :D

Just in case anyone want's to give it a go, here's my setup. Not much changed really... brake bias moved forwards a few clicks, pressure reduced, and raised the rear a touch.

Attachments

• group_2_scirocco_brands_hatch.svm
    6.8 KB · Views: 33
I didn't think live streaming of races was permitted on here?
It's not forbidden, you just need permission. Admittedly I'm so used to the same group racing every week that I generally don't ask anymore because I know they don't mind. People are generally ok with it as long as the voice chat isn't being broadcast, which is why it's always disabled in my streams.

(...)
Race two especially was great fun coming up through the field. Very good driving by all, and particularly good defending by @Trond Jørmeland who was making his car very wide indeed! :thumbsup:
(...)

It was quite the fight yes, but I didn't have anywhere near your pace today, so only option was to defend, defend, defend....

Please note that I'm new to Raceroom and Racedepartment, and it was my 2 very first online races in Raceroom (apart from a practice Single Race earlier today), but I'm sure I'll be coming back again!

It was quite the fight yes, but I didn't have anywhere near your pace today, so only option was to defend, defend, defend...
Good defending is a skill in itself mate, and you did really well! Speed wasn't enough, I had to wait for a small mistake before I could pass you. Well done!

Please note that I'm new to Raceroom and Racedepartment, and it was my 2 very first online races in Raceroom (apart from a practice Single Race earlier today), but I'm sure I'll be coming back again!
That's great to hear, happy to have you! :thumbsup: All the new guys seem to have had fun tonight and that can only be positive for the R3E Club.

VR is definitely a gamer changer for racing.
If your just getting into it you could probably grab a 1st gen headset for pretty cheap.
I have a WMR Lenovo explorer that runs @ 1440p per eye I got for $80.
I run it at 60hrz with a gtx 1660 ti at mostly high settings and 170% steam SS and it hardly broke a sweat starting at the back of the pack today....70% usage at the start.

Having a good cpu in Raceroom and any sim is key.
You can get away with a mid range gpu running on an older headset but you'll need a high end gpu for the newer ones as they have a higher resolution.

@FeltHat sorry for the touch at Paddock in Race 1 - not sure if my fault or not but my apology if so. I waited for you anyway. In Race 2 we continued our battle, but unfortunately you spun at Hawthorns. However apart from those two moments it was much fun and I will hopefully join you again in the upcoming races (specially if they feature the Sciroccos, or other historic cars!). Thanks to all competitors.

@FeltHat sorry for the touch at Paddock in Race 1 - not sure if my fault or not but my apology if so. I waited for you anyway. In Race 2 we continued our battle, but unfortunately you spun at Hawthorns. However apart from those two moments it was much fun and I will hopefully join you again in the upcoming races (specially if they feature the Sciroccos, or other historic cars!). Thanks to all competitors.
not your fault in first race, simply different lines- i appreciate the gesture tho :thumbsup: In second race i miss shifted :p Good fun, great fights

Any upcoming leagues you could recommend?!
RaceDepartment isn't running any R3E-based leagues in the near future unfortunately. However, our club runs four week series regularly and the next will be starting soon.

If you don't mind me asking, what VR headset are you using and with what gpu?
I'm running a Rift S on a GTX 1060. VR completely transformed racing sims for me, the extra immersion and awareness makes everything much more fun and also improved my actual driving. Love it, and couldn't race (or fly) without it now.

The investment is the stumbling block for many people though. VR continues to be completely underutilised and largely unsupported by the gaming industry as a whole. Most of the "games" available are short, repetitive gimmicks rather than true VR experiences. After four years the only thing I use mine for is simulations, which is where VR comes into it's own. That's fine if, like me, you are into both racing and flight sims. Not so great for casual sim-racers who only dabble with sims occasionally.

That said, the Rift costs £3-400, which is about the same as a mid-level FFB wheel. For me it adds just as much to simming as a proper wheel does, so yeah... worth it.

That's great, thank you very much.

I was looking into triple monitors but watching your videos have got me thinking.

I've already got the gtx 1660 super which is 1 less thing to grade going with the vr option instead of the triples.

How is it on more graphically demanding titles like ACC and AMS2?

How is it on more graphically demanding titles like ACC and AMS2?

I should point out that I am neither a pixel crack junky nor a slave to FPS counters. My only criteria is that my sims look good and run smoothly. This is something I judge by eye and feel, rather than 101 apps showing me pretty graphs and numbered counters, which I personally feel are pretty meaningless.

AMS 2 is probably the smoothest running racing sim I play in general. It just "works" right out of the box with no real performance tweaking required, other than one setting hidden in a config file. Anyone with a system remotely better than mine should not have any issues.

ACC is another matter. It is the worst performing sim in VR across all the sims I play, either racing or flight. This is widely acknowledged by most, even those with the latest and greatest systems. However, if you're willing to put the time in and make extensive tweaks and changes to config files and in-game settings, then you can eventually get it running fairly smoothly. I have it running passably enough to enjoy on my poor old 1060, though it probably cries quietly to itself after each session. :p

4) R3E POSTER.png

Welcome to the R3E racing club! This is the place to be for relaxed, friendly racing and our events are open to everybody from rookies to the seasoned pros. You will always find people around your level to battle with, so jump on in! If you need any help the don't hesitate to ask on TeamSpeak... there's no such thing as a stupid question!

All premium members can sign up for this event. Sign up below and make sure to tag fellow community members who you think are up for a challenge! Not a premium member yet but interested in racing with our group of friendly drivers? Click here for more information and learn how you can participate.

Racing Club Rules: Click here or Watch the Video Summary
Incident Reporting: Click here
Server Password: Click here
TeamSpeak Server: ts3server://ts.racedepartment.com <== Paste link into your browser to connect.

We highly recommend that you join us on TeamSpeak and that you use an app called Crew Chief, which gives you an audio spotter and much more!

Saturday 09/01/21
Practice Server:
RaceDepartment - Practice
Race Server: RaceDepartment - Racing Club
Class: Group 5
Track: Watkins Glen - Grand Prix

Practice: 19:00 UTC (80 minutes)
Qualifying: 20:20 UTC (10 minutes)

Warmup 1: 20:30 UTC (5 minutes)
Race 1: 20:35 UTC (20 minutes) - Rolling start

Warmup 2: 20:55 UTC (5 minutes)
Race 2: 21:00 UTC (20 minutes) - Rolling start / Reverse grid

Group 5: 30 slots
  1. Goffik - Capri #8
  2. ko41 - Capri #2
  3. rustymoto - BMW #9
  4. Jan Larsen - Corvette #49
  5. Rick K - ??
  6. PorDallas - BMW #264
  7. PurgerUK - BMW #84
  8. brc19 - Capri #7
  9. Steve Le Gallez - Capri #55
  10. Jopamir - #??
  11. Dieter Bromvich - Monza #2
  12. Des Pearce - Capri #55
  13. Jean Jacques Martin - Capri #3
  14. Jean Jacques Martin - Monza #21
  15. Free slot
  16. Free slot
  17. Free slot
  18. Free slot
  19. Free slot
  20. Free slot
  21. Free slot
  22. Free slot
  23. Free slot
  24. Free slot
  25. Free slot

UTP#85

Last edited:
Rolling Start

These cars can be a bit of a pain to get moving off the grid, so this will be the first club event to make use of R3E's new rolling start feature! Your car will be under AI control throughout, up to the point where you cross the start/finish line. You then have control so it's pedal to the metal time!

False Starts

False starts have also been added to R3E! Of course they are not applicable to this event as we're using a rolling start. However, be aware that this feature will now be activated in all club events from now on. So make sure you get practicing your standing starts!

Manual Cooldown Lap

We have tested this feature and it appears to work perfectly! Feel free to disable AI control of cooldown laps in your Gameplay options, or leave the AI in control... your choice!
(Note that unfortunately you cannot physically hit another car during the cooldown lap, so this is not an opportunity to get "revenge" on those pesky race winners.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years