EU Group 5 @ Watkins Glen - Sat 09 Jan 2021

Goffik

RMG Motorsports
Original poster
Staff
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
4) R3E POSTER.png

Welcome to the R3E racing club! This is the place to be for relaxed, friendly racing and our events are open to everybody from rookies to the seasoned pros. You will always find people around your level to battle with, so jump on in! If you need any help the don't hesitate to ask on TeamSpeak... there's no such thing as a stupid question!

All premium members can sign up for this event. Sign up below and make sure to tag fellow community members who you think are up for a challenge! Not a premium member yet but interested in racing with our group of friendly drivers? Click here for more information and learn how you can participate.

Racing Club Rules: Click here or Watch the Video Summary
Incident Reporting: Click here
Server Password: Click here
TeamSpeak Server: ts3server://ts.racedepartment.com <== Paste link into your browser to connect.

We highly recommend that you join us on TeamSpeak and that you use an app called Crew Chief, which gives you an audio spotter and much more!

Saturday 09/01/21
Practice Server:
RaceDepartment - Practice
Race Server: RaceDepartment - Racing Club
Class: Group 5
Track: Watkins Glen - Grand Prix

Practice: 19:00 UTC (80 minutes)
Qualifying: 20:20 UTC (10 minutes)

Warmup 1: 20:30 UTC (5 minutes)
Race 1: 20:35 UTC (20 minutes) - Rolling start

Warmup 2: 20:55 UTC (5 minutes)
Race 2: 21:00 UTC (20 minutes) - Rolling start / Reverse grid

Group 5: 30 slots
  1. Goffik - Capri #8
  2. ko41 - Capri #2
  3. rustymoto - BMW #9
  4. Jan Larsen - Corvette #49
  5. Rick K - ??
  6. PorDallas - BMW #264
  7. PurgerUK - BMW #84
  8. brc19 - Capri #7
  9. Steve Le Gallez - Capri #55
  10. Jopamir - #??
  11. Dieter Bromvich - Monza #2
  12. Des Pearce - Capri #55
  13. Jean Jacques Martin - Capri #3
  14. Jean Jacques Martin - Monza #21
  15. Free slot
  16. Free slot
  17. Free slot
  18. Free slot
  19. Free slot
  20. Free slot
  21. Free slot
  22. Free slot
  23. Free slot
  24. Free slot
  25. Free slot

UTP#85

Last edited:

Goffik

RMG Motorsports
Original poster
Staff
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
Rolling Start

These cars can be a bit of a pain to get moving off the grid, so this will be the first club event to make use of R3E's new rolling start feature! Your car will be under AI control throughout, up to the point where you cross the start/finish line. You then have control so it's pedal to the metal time!

False Starts

False starts have also been added to R3E! Of course they are not applicable to this event as we're using a rolling start. However, be aware that this feature will now be activated in all club events from now on. So make sure you get practicing your standing starts!

Manual Cooldown Lap

We have tested this feature and it appears to work perfectly! Feel free to disable AI control of cooldown laps in your Gameplay options, or leave the AI in control... your choice!
(Note that unfortunately you cannot physically hit another car during the cooldown lap, so this is not an opportunity to get "revenge" on those pesky race winners.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurupt CDN

rustymoto

75RPM
Premium
May 2, 2020
69 Corvette :cool:
Have I gone colour-blind or is that car not orange? :geek:

@Goffik - BMW #10 please!

I think the lack of boost at launch will help work around this new start procedure. Even if the clutch is dropped before the lights go out, this car won't be going anywhere for a good few seconds...

ko41

250RPM
Premium
Mar 5, 2018
Have I gone colour-blind or is that car not orange? :geek:
I might have to see if I can have it painted orange when my crew rebuilds it, if they can rebuild it, after I destroyed it trying to do some Leaderboard laps.
That had to be the most frustrating experience since trying to learn how to drive Grand Prix Legends back in 1998.

Update,
Bad news, my guys said the #69 Corvette is not rebuildable, they would have to fab up a whole new car.
So please switch me to the ORANGE # 52 Fabcar please. :D

Last edited:

Goffik

RMG Motorsports
Original poster
Staff
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
These cars were made for this track, really good fun throwing them around the Glen! :thumbsup:

Being a new year I told myself I would try something new this time, but I'm having trouble giving up my trusty old Capri. Love that screaming banshee when I hit the straights! The Monza felt quite good too though. Tried the Corvette which literally split my earphones in two as soon as I touched the throttle. Provisionally signing up with the Capri but I'm going to drive the others some more to see if I can ween myself off of it.

It's been interesting messing about with the new engine maps and engine brake settings. Makes a real difference to how these beasts handle, especially if you're using an h-box.

Jan Larsen

500RPM
Premium
Sep 20, 2009
Sign me up. Not sure about car yet, its either a question of waaaay too much horsepower and no handling or the other way around...
The Vette can be driven round the entire track using only 2 gears :laugh:. Btw, how much horsepower is that thing delivering? It makes wheelspin at 240kph out of T4 :O_o:

Last edited:
Reactions: Goffik

Goffik

RMG Motorsports
Original poster
Staff
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
Btw, how much horsepower is that thing delivering?
Somewhere in the region of 900bhp+ I believe. That's f-ing ridiculous for a car of that era, and ~200-400 more than anything else in it's class! Unfortunately they were so focused on adding raw power that they apparently forgot to add a way of steering. Oops! :O_o:

Turns out I don't have #10. :sleep:
Buy it then, Scrooge! :p

Last edited:

rustymoto

75RPM
Premium
May 2, 2020
Buy it then, Scrooge! :p
OK OK, it's done....peer pressure....let the record show that this $0.45 Canadian livery somehow just cost me $5.00 because that was Steam's minimum contribution.

@Jan Larsen - I have the pack already :thumbsup:, they must have snuck in #10 as a new livery (that is remarkably similar to #9). That'll teach me to check beforehand :speechless:

Goffik

RMG Motorsports
Original poster
Staff
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
they must have snuck in #10 as a new livery (that is remarkably similar to #9)
The Gr5's were among the classes in which I was missing a few liveries too, which I posted about on the S3 forums. The answer was that sometimes new liveries are created when a class is used for a competition, and are then put on sale afterwards.

Redvaliant

500RPM
Premium
May 12, 2010
Sign me up thanks. I thought I'd stay with the Monza but it always ends up trying to kill me.
I'll take the Skyline red Coke car #.

Reactions: Goffik

Goffik

RMG Motorsports
Original poster
Staff
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
I thought I'd stay with the Monza but it always ends up trying to kill me.
I found the Monza to be one of the less murderous machines since you don't have to deal with the turbo lag. :p It's one of the cars I'm using to try and ween myself off the Capri, though it doesn't sound as nice.

ko41

250RPM
Premium
Mar 5, 2018
Fabcar is starting to get a little beat up, might have to switch to BMW :unsure: it's the only one I can keep on the track for more than 2 consecutive laps. :mad::(:roflmao::O_o::rolleyes::redface::sick:

hobsey

25RPM
Premium
May 14, 2020
I would love to join you on this 1 but unfortunately I don't have much track time in the group 5s and don't currently own this track.

Even if I was to purchase it this evening, I don't have any spare time this week to practice.

Hopefully catch you on the next 1, have fun.