Grosjean confirmed by Lotus-Renault

Chris Jenkins

Driving til the wheels fall off
Well it's official.
Renault have announced that Grosjean will partner Raikkonen next season.

Let's hope this is the start of some continuity within the team. It'd be good to see them competing at the front in the next couple of years.

I fear that Kubica eventually be the victim of this (understandable) move. RG has proven himself in the last couple of years to be a great driver since he left F1. Impressed both in the FIA GT1 with Matech as last year in GP2.

The moment he will peform at the same level as Kimi I fear Robert's days at Renault are over as they can't just ditch Grosjean at the end of the season again.

Hopefully Lotus GP will now become a stable team and don't make anymore impulsive driver changes during the season.

Ah, sensible move, the first I see of Eric Boullier(Then again, he's French while Romain is Swiss-French).

Wish him the best of luck, he deserves this second chance.

Both Kimi and Grosjean can learn from each other I think, Grosjean can help Kimi with Pirelli tyres which is his the major problem I guess, many drivers had problems to treat that tyres this season, so Kimi won't start from 0, as Grosjean last year used them at GP2; and Grosjean can learn a lot from a world champion. They also left the F1 at 2009, and they return in the same team at 2012, hope the best for them!

I really think they should have let Senna stay.

Grosjean was said to be awesome when he came to f1 in 09 and he was crap just as petrov was.

It seems no team in f1 these days is happy to give a good driver the drive they should have.

Look at how many times davidson was over looked in faver of drivers with money how many others have there been over the years its getting silly now

Senna has done an awesome job this yeah and what about Riccado.

I will put money on it that Grosjean is now where next year he had his chance and he blow it

I was completely wrong. I thought there was no way Lotus Renault was going to drop Petrov, a pretty servicable pay driver, to take on Grosjean. Seems that some part of this is linked to the team becoming STR part II: "let's fire drivers for not winning in a sub-par car!" (See Heidfeld, Nick). Petrov of course didn't help himself out too much with his little outburst the other week.

The real question though is what happens when Kubica comes back? FIArrari driver to take Massa's spot in 2013?

I really think they should have let Senna stay.

Grosjean was said to be awesome when he came to f1 in 09 and he was crap just as petrov was.

It seems no team in f1 these days is happy to give a good driver the drive they should have.

Look at how many times davidson was over looked in faver of drivers with money how many others have there been over the years its getting silly now

I'd like to shout "You try doing better as mid-season driver like him.":pxD You're completely overlooking the way Grosjean had to step in the first time, it was sad to watch. Haven't you seen how much drivers struggle that have to take over in the season when testing has been banned?

Senna had two good qualifyings in Spa and Interlagos, he failed at T1 in Belgium and drove into Michael at Brazil. The rest of the races were average, also down to the car.

Well, that's interesting that both pay drivers aren't racing for them. I wonder if either of them will be able to get the reserve driver spot.

While I am biased with Senna, I think he should take a couple years off of F1 to drive in other race series. He's got the qualifying pace, but he needs to work on his race pace. He's ruined his good qualifying in the race, except for Monza.

Or, Lotus could field a third car, but have two only count towards the WCC.

I think this is a good move and shows Lotus Renault are serious and not hiring drivers for financial reasons, grosjean has shown him self IMO to be the best driver outside of f1 since 2009.

I think he'll show his talent now that he'll have an opportunity to test the car before he races with it! I think Petrov will have a talk with Williams, making Sutil's and Barrichello's situation harder as basically Russia sponsors him.
Kubica, I don't want to sound cruel, but I don't think Ferrari would do anything good if he replaces Massa with him in 2013. His injuries were even worse than Massa's, there's no guarantee that he'll drive as well as he did. Anyone who wishes to replace Massa should take a look at his teammate, yes, it's Alonso. I just have the feeling that most of the drivers mentioned about replacing Massa would do worse there.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.1%