Grippy gloves for leather rims?

Do you know if the Sparco Hypergrip gloves have good grip on leather steering wheels? Any other gloves for sim-racing recommended in this sense? Or any models for karting? I have seen many models which claim to be grippy but then I see that the palm is just like suede material, which is good for suede rims, but slippery like butter on leather. I think that only some specific types of leather or some kind of plastic or rubber materials are good to get grip with leather rims.

I have gym gloves, cycling gloves, proper Sparco driving gloves and a couple of weeks ago got a set of Hypergrip+ gloves. I use leather, suede, rubbery (or whatever they seem to use for grips on the latest wheels) and wooden wheels and they grip just fine. They're expensive but I'm really impressed with them, I was getting pains in my hands from extended driving sessions with a DD wheel but the HG+ have excellent padding exactly where you need them.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I have original Hypergrips and they are super thin, have inconvenient to use wrist velcro straps that also causing material to fray , not really that grippy, and at high torque hands starts moving inside the gloves.
Sparco Arrow K have injected silicone grip pattern that provides death grip on suede or leather. Easy to slip in and out, has external stitching and makes operating high torque DD wheel much more comfortable as you don't need to clench on wheel that much, it just sticks to your hands.

BTW, DrRob recently posted some impressions on old vs new Hypergrips here

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Do you know if the Sparco Hypergrip gloves have good grip on leather steering wheels? Any other gloves for sim-racing recommended in this sense? Or any models for karting? I have seen many models which claim to be grippy but then I see that the palm is just like suede material, which is good for suede rims, but slippery like butter on leather. I think that only some specific types of leather or some kind of plastic or rubber materials are good to get grip with leather rims.
I have the Hypergrip gloves and do not like them at all. The reasons include:
  • Poor fit even though they are the correct size
  • Seem extremely cheaply made. Especially around the tips of the "e" fingers
  • Velcro does not fit well on wrist when fastened
  • Move around on my hand when racing
I wore them 1 day before ordering a different set of gloves

I now use the Sparco Karting Gloves Arrow K (2020). I think they are great. Excellent fit, grip, and build quality. Zero comparison to the Hypergrip.

Upvote 0
@Elaphe as Andrew_Wot BillyBobSenna mentioned you probably should take a Sparco Arrow K in consideration, they are a great pair of gloves to use. I had the Sparco Hypergloves and they wear out kinda quick, well for me anyways. I really suggest you to go for the Sparco Arrow K or something equivalent.

Upvote 0
The Arrow K are a bit expensive. The Sparco Rush are more affordable and still look good, with a lot of grippy material on the palm. Has anyone here try them?

Upvote 0
The Arrow K are a bit expensive. The Sparco Rush are more affordable and still look good, with a lot of grippy material on the palm. Has anyone here try them?
$50 vs $75. Definitely not cheap. Did you read the descriptions of each at the Sparco web site?

One of the features I like about the Arrow K's are the "Featuring an anatomically correct seamless palm that contours to the natural shape of the hand." I can definitely feel this and makes handling the wheel very nice. I did not see this on the Rush description.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I think I'll give the Hypergrips a try. To my surprise, the Hypergrips+ are not listed in Amazon.es.
I'm in Spain too, I got mine from Sparco directly and they came in three days - https://www.sparco-official.com/es/gaming/ropa-y-accesorios/hypergrip-gloves.html

As per the comment on that other thread, I found the Hypergrip+ difficult to put on the first few times but now they go on pretty easily and they're so light you forget you have them on (until you try and do a fingerprint unlock on your phone!). For me the biggest concern is heat (second being padding in the right places) and these have been the best for that so far, proper karting/racing gloves are just way too hot and sweaty

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my experince, Sparco gloves are overdone for Sim use. You don't need flame resistant equipment in front of a PC. Since I also don't have a leather Steering wheel in my real car, and I tend to get sweaty palms on long trips, I began to use the 0,6mm thin Mechanix Specialty Vent Gloves. It turned out those are also more then adequate for use with Sim Wheels, last for years, and cost less then 30€. Those are also thin enough to use switches, mouse and keyboard. My wives cars has a leather wheel, and they have good grip there too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my experince, Sparco gloves are overdone for Sim use. You don't need flame resistant equipment in front of a PC. Since I also don't have a leather Steering wheel in my real car, and I tend to get sweaty palms on long trips, I began to use the 0,6mm thin Mechanix Specialty Vent Gloves. It turned out those are also more then adequate for use with Sim Wheels, last for years, and cost less then 30€. Those are also thin enough to use switches, mouse and keyboard. My wives cars has a leather wheel, and they have good grip there too.
Actually, karting gloves are not flame resistant.

Upvote 0
I think you will be disappointed with the Hypergrip, I've had both Sparco Karting gloves and the Hypergrips. At minimum, you see where your dollars are spent with the Sparco Karting gloves, great quality super comfortable and very grippy. The Hypergrips are cheaply made yet command a premium price tag. I know I was disappointed when I received them.

Upvote 0
Definitelly I will purchase karting gloves with silicione inserts on the palms, which is needed for grip with leather. However, I will not spend more than 50 or 60€ on a pair of gloves because I don't like investing too much in something that will not last more than ¿1 year of use?. The Alpinestars Tech-1 K Race V2 is also another model I am considering.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

My pair from 2016 still holding up well, got a spare in 2019 (newer model) but haven't started using them yet.

Upvote 0
Sparco hypergrip are not that good.
Try Sparco Arrow Karting gloves.
Exactly what I had. I started out with the hypergrips and used them for a year. After 6 months, though, they were worn out. Then got a pair of arrow karts and grip and build quality are way better.

I have a suede and a leather wheel. On a suede you'll have decent grip with the hypergrips. On a leather wheel there's not much grip. You can slide the wheel through your hands in a drift, with the arrows your hands will stick.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just received my Alpinestars. They look very nice, well made and not cheap at all. The size (M) is perfect for my hands and they fit very well. The grip on the palms is inmense on leather, even excessive.

Upvote 0
Owned a few pairs of OMP karting gloves over the years which I would rate as pretty good (around the £30-£35 mark), and they were all fairly comfortable and grippy, but nothing to really write home about. I really struggle with how expensive they all are to be honest, though a couple months back I was fortunate enough though to be gifted a pair of OMP Technica Evo's. Whereas I'd never usually consider shelling out circa £100 on gloves, compared to anything else I've worn, they are (as you'd have hoped if you'd spent that dollar!) the nicest, most comfortable, softest and grippiest gloves I've ever had the fortune to wear/own. I'd go as far as saying I'd actually consider spending the money if I were gloveless knowing how good they make me feel :laugh: Plus as they are real racing gloves they make you 1 million x faster and turn you into a real racing driver :laugh:;)

Upvote 0
I've also heard good things about the Alpinestars' gloves for sim-racing on leather wheels. As for karting, the OMP KS-3 gloves are known for their grip, especially on different surfaces. It's all about finding that sweet spot for the right material, isn't it?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing