Grip issue (GTR2 vs refactor)

Hi~
I have BMW M3 mod in rfactor and GTR2, and both I run on Toban.

For having the same tyre physics in both game, I copied XXX.tyr of BMW mod in GTR2 to XXX.tbc for rfactor, and I modify value RoadDryGrip in the XXX.gdb of Toban for GTR2 to be the same in rfactor Toban. I turn off all driving aids in both game (except for auto shifting), the difficulty in GTR2 is set to "Simulation".

But when I drive, I found GTR2 has much more grip than rfactor. Do you know why? Do they really have the same physic engine? which one is more realistic?

Thanks a lot.

GTR2 is based on rf1 but its game engine has been deeply modified.
Difficult to say which one is more realistic. I have watched many videos from real race drivers and most of them say kind of the same thing : real cars have much more grip than in any sim. Moreover they say that they would never get pleasure to drive such cars in real if they had the physics from a sim (any sim/studio is concerned such as Pcars/rf2/AC/etc...). Keep in mind a sim is a model and as every model it is not perfect as there will always be limitations due to the model itself. The point is that you enjoy your preferred sim and that's all :)

I will go out on a limb here and hypothesize that at least some of the difference is attributable to GTR2's better tire models.

Hi~gwaldock:
It's difficult for me to know ISI or Simbin has better tyre model calculation, but I hope GTR2 has better tyre models. :)

By the way, the car Kodi on Toban is very slippy in rfactor 2 than rfactor 1, I am very nervous when I am driving.
Sometimes I wonder the grip of Kodi in rfactor 2 is realistic or not, but some said rfactor 2 has the best tyre model, so I am really confused... :(

I personally think the preference for sim physics is almost as subjective as ffb. Also, I've never read any statement from any developer stating the unequivocal best of anything. That tends to be the remarks of more hardcore gamers bragging about the sim of their preference.
I read an article a while ago, that said that when racing sims first came out. The devs tried very hard to match true race car physics as closely as they could. But the most common complaint was "It's too easy" and therefore wasn't real enough. Lacked excitement. So the devs responded by loosening up the traction to appease what was then a very small niche market. So don't feel too confused. It is after all just a game. And meant primarily for fun.
And by the way, yah, rfactor is very loose and not very realistic for my taste.:cautious:
(And now a shameless plug for my favorite sim:rolleyes:.) I think GTR2 has better tire physics and better grip. But that's just my preference.

I agree with you, Gtr2 has more grip than rFactor 1. In my opinion, rFactor has more grip (and simplifications) than a real simulator should have. This is not the point, neither Gtr2 nor rFactor are pure simulators, they are games with some elements of simulation (I'm talking about the physic of the car).
I think the Gtr2 and rFactor game engines have they roots in some old game engine; then both were developed independenly of each other.

Is the GTR2 Reborn mod successful in adjusting the grip levels of the cars to a more realistic level?
I tried the Reborn mod time ago, and disinstalled. I tried to make mods with rFactor, GTR2, Race 07 and GT Legends for personal use, years ago. After a lot of experiments, I can say that the game engine of those games are not too flexible: each parameter change the behaviour of the car in some different area. Every time you try to lower the the grip of the tyres, the handle of the car change in the wrong way. In my opinion, some of the G3 cars of GTR2 have the better physics, but the grip is too much. In rFactor, only the Panoz GTR1 give me better sensations. I also used a lot of mods with all the mentioned games, only the WES mod for rFactor is still installed and used even today (I only use the Ferrari). The alternative is to pass to a modern game, such as rF2 (better physics with errors, heavier for your PC).
I already wrote that years ago I tried to make some mods for me. The better result is the GTS Open mod I uploaded some days ago. If you want to try it just change these settings: front slow and fast bump to 3; front arb to 430. I hope you do not misundestand me, I do not want to advertise my mod.

Last edited:
Hi~michele77:
Would you tell us some "pure simulators" products?
I just want to know their differences from ISI series games.
Thanks.
I do not know all the racing titles. I also tried Assetto Corsa (not competizione), Project Cars, and a few others. I also read a lot of good things about AC, but only one car - an Alfa Romeo one - I think is really good. Project Cars 1: only a few laps with a GT3; good things but also one worst thing. Etc. Also GTR1 has good things.
So, if you want a "pure simulator", try some professional simulators, such as those used by F1 teams. :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 333 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 463 39.2%