Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Surprise! A new GRID game is heading our way this September 13th.

Having been heavily focussed on their rally and Formula One games since 2014’s GRID Autosport released, Codemasters have today made the surprise announcement that the popular franchise will be making a return to console and PC this year – confirming GRID 4 is set to release this September on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Featuring the usual mix of real world and fantasy tracks located across four continents, plus plenty of racing content from low power machines to Grand Prix cars, GRID should offer plenty of variety for players of all skill levels when it drops later this year.

GRID_SanFran_Muscle_4.jpg

GRID_Ferrari_Brands_Hatch_1.jpg

Although exact details regarding the depth of content set to ship within the game has yet to be revealed by Codemasters, the British development team have confirmed the inclusion of Formula One machinery, in the form of at the least the 2006 Renault RS06.

With the new title having been developed in conjunction with Fernando Alonso and his eSport racing team, players will have the opportunity to race against the former double World Champion and 2018 Le Mans winner in game, as part of the structured career mode the title is so famous for in previous iterations of the franchise.

“We are also delighted to work alongside Fernando Alonso who is arguably one of the world’s greatest ever drivers” said Chris Smith, GRID Game Director at Codemasters. “His experience and knowledge has enabled us to make improvements to both the performance and handling of our cars. We could not be more proud to have signed him both in-game and as a Race Consultant. We can’t wait for our players to experience the final version when it comes to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC this September.”

As well as the inclusion of Alonso, images revealed from the game also reveal Brands Hatch will be included in the base version of the title, as well as a selection of tin top machines such as a TCR spec VW Golf and various American muscle cars.

GRID_VW_Brands_Hatch_2.jpg

GRID is well known as a ‘simcade’ style game, and it looks like the latest release will continue that trend, but with leanings towards simulation in order to appease a wide variety of driving tastes.

“GRID as a racing franchise is revered by our community and we are delighted to bring it to the current generation of consoles,” continued Smith. “The game offers so much variety and depth, from the number of modern and classic cars through to the locations and race options. Renowned for its handling, the game will appeal to all types of player, from casual drivers who want a lean-in challenge, to sim drivers who want some serious fun”

The game is already available to pre-order, and it looks like Codemasters will be adopting the DiRT 2.0 approach to post release DLC, with space set aside for 3 ‘seasons’ of additional purchasable content confirmed during the initial announcement.

More news will follow, as and when it becomes available.

GRID_Shanghai_Muscle_Shot_4.jpg

GRID will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC September 13th 2019.

Stay tuned to the upcoming GRID 4 sun forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions about this exciting new game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
A new trailer has been released for Codemasters upcoming arcade racer, GRID.

Designed with an ambition to reignite some of that fan passion fuelled by earlier GRID franchise games, the development of new title from Codemasters is currently in full swing back at Codies HQ. With release day drawing ever closer, the development team have revealed some further footage of the game in action - once again showing off the incredible visuals of what looks to be an impressive and worthy entry into the popular GRID franchise.

“As a team, we wanted to capture the essence of the original GRID which, in its day innovated the racing genre with best-in-class handling and the introduction of Flashback. We want to build on GRID’s legacy and create a game that focuses on three core pillars of choice & accessibility, motorsport stories and racing for glory, all of which are captured in the trailer,” said Chris Smith, GRID Game Director at Codemasters. “Accessibility and Choice allows players to race their way with handling options for both the core sim racer and casual players. Secondly, it’s about Glory and Prestige. We want players to feel excited no matter where they finish - whether that’s in first place or coming out on top against your arch nemesis. Lastly, it’s about the unpredictable stories that happen in Motorsport; it’s why we watch motorsport on TV. It’s the drama and those the key moments that get you sitting on the edge of your seat. GRID isn’t about a procession of cars. It’s tight overtakes, bumper-to-bumper scrapes and competitive racing action. We want everything including the car to be able to tell a story at the end of the race through its bumps and scrapes. GRID gives players drama, excitement and unique motorsport stories in every race".
Grid New Trailer Brands Hatch.jpg

Set to release on both console and PC this October 11th, GRID will feature a diverse range of cars across many categories of road and race, with customisation set to form one of the key features of the new title.

So far, all looks very good indeed.

GRID will launch on PC and console October 11th 2019.

For more from the world of GRID, head over to the GRID sub forum here at RaceDepartment, and get involved with your fellow sim racing community.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Woo, it's 'simcade,' - don't say it's 'arcade,' you'll trigger a lot of fanbois! :p

Nah, really, I used to be a big Grid fan a few years ago, and was actually quite happy they were producing an accessible, yet not hardcore, game that let me familiarise myself with the basics of performance driving without too much of a hassle.

But then I grew into more and more serious sims, to AC, ACC and rF2 nowadays, and I kind of left Grid behind. I cannot imagine myself playing this new title.

That said, if someone is looking for what I have just described above, then it should be a great choice. A uniquely good one, even.

Looks great and looks like a lot of fun. And no i am NOT a fanboy. It's a game people, if you want to race real cars do it, it's a lot of fun..... i do.

Seconded. Looks like heaps of fun, it's a question of setting expectations. If you expect/demand rFactor2, you'll hate it. Heck, this game isn't even going to be Forza...it's gonna be pure "lol, I can't believe that just happened" cheap thrills.

As an aside, what do you run if you don't mind me asking, Doug? I am semi-seriously beginning the process of looking into Formula Vees...always curious to see what other RD'ers run in real life.

Grid never set out to offer realistic racing but one thing every grid game does well is the atmosphere, engaging gameplay and offer a partly realistic driving with some really interesting cars.

Grid 1, the original one was the game that made me interested in pcars and AC years ago. Along with shift series that serves as a great entry to more realistic games for the most part. I hope this new game will eventually bring more people into the more realistic side of racing games.

While for me, it’s something fun for me to pick up from time to time like how Grid Autosport and Gravel has been for me.

I would like to see a story like the one in Race Driver 2. Simple but attractive, that keeps you playing.

"World series" is fine, but it's not that engaging.

Game looks fine to me, anyways, arcade fun with a little touch of realism.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%