Grid I've played it

graham123

25RPM
Apr 10, 2018
just been playing the new Grid game...I Love it, handling is great , AI is spot on,Graphics are pretty darn good too

Reactions: D_Dark

graham123

25RPM
Apr 10, 2018
OHH Yess with wheel and pedals ( i have a g29 set up) bear in mind it's more arcade than sim and you will love it too

Scifo

1RPM
Jan 13, 2012
Its a pretty mediocre game if you ask me

Graphics are not that great. Handling is also not great. You cannot push the car like in arcade racers and if you step on the throttle you never know when the rear will loose traction.

The car spins on curbs for no reason.

i also feel there is not much content in the game. Halfway through the "career" in every class and not much choice of cars.

After 2 days i'm allready bored with this game.

Gonira

100RPM
Oct 2, 2010
I played half an hour with a pad and chase cam and had some fun. With a wheel, i found it worse than mediocre, really weird with default FFB on a G29. Maybe if it had a serviceable camera for triples, I'd like it a bit more. Dash cam is awful and cockpit cam has awfully high FOV. Not worth it. Wreckfest is still the king for mindless fun.

MarkR

500RPM
Premium
Feb 8, 2017

We've completed the 'World Series' events (combined effort with my lad), about 14 hours of play according to Steam.

There is a lot to like and an equal amount that is both frustrating and makes no real sense.

Tl;dr: it's a decent 7/10 arcade racing game, no more, no less, it's worth about £25 for the racing alone. The handling isn't as intuitive as either Wreckfest or Forza Horizon 4. The career is too much of a grind and isn't as anywhere near as much fun as Wreckfest. The events are all way too similar - racing or time attack, that's it compared to the likes of Forza Horizon 4 which has a superb range of events.

Shortcut: if you want a slight shortcut to the final events, complete the GT class as completing the later series unlocks the later invitational events and the showdown. You will need 1.2m credits for the prototype cars.

The good:
+ Control on the TX458 wheel at 270 DOR is generally good- though that is still car and track dependent. On the wheel it is possible to use the kerbs and not have the car thrown violently wide.

+ It plays best from in car view and on a wheel, which is a very strange mix for what is a pure arcade racer.

+ Close, adrenaline-fuelled racing throughout, it's often bumper cars but it's playable all the same.

+ They included qualifying so if you don't like the bump and grind in the mid-pack you can qualify and run away at the front.

+ Turning the interfering TC, ABS and SC assists off makes the cars much more lively and reduces the snappy handling.

+ Game performance (PC) is smooth and locked at 60fps at 1080p, at full 4k it's 60fps most of the time but dips to 40fps on dark street tracks and other circuits in the wet. (i9/1080Ti)

+ Tuning is basic but it works and can help adjust the car's behaviour significantly.

The bad:
--- Gamepad control (Xbox Elite controller on PC) is awful, snap oversteer and impossible to control slides on the throttle.

-- The team aspect, rival and nemesis systems are all pointless - they make no difference whatsoever to the game. It's just a get in and race game, nothing else makes any difference.

-- The tracks look wet but don't feel wet. Again it's car-dependent how much the rain on track impacts the car.

- Many of the tracks are overexposed at dusk and dawn, it just makes the game overly difficult to play.

-- It's a massive grind because the events are so repetitive.

--Teammate and teammate instructions either don't work or are pointless, hard to tell which.

The variable:

--- Car handling is often biased toward oversteer for no obvious reason even cars in the ame class vary widely. I found these cars pretty much awful: Aston GT4, Ford Falcon (Aussie V8), 365 GTB, JEDI F1000 - all had a tendency to wild snap oversteer. This was clearly a design choice in the game because:

++ Other cars handle really well, the Prototypes are glued to the circuit, Vantage GTE, S2000 (great sound), Impreza TCR, Evo VI Time Attack, Evo IX Time Attack (bonkers fast).

+/- Graphics are generally good, even the slightly blurry mirror images are ok, and races atmospheric but too often the overexposure or darkness spoil the experience. Racing a 200mph on an oval with no wipers...hmm.

- Yet others make no sense at all: Invitational M3 & Afla touring cars are glued to the track more than the modern TCR cars, Porsche 917 is a complete handling mess yet the McLaren M8D is superb. Really it's just a mess.

Having played it through my overriding impression is that the arcade racing is good but the rest of the game (team development, teammate etc) either wasn't finished or hasn't been fully integrated in any meaningful way. It could have been so much better.

graham123

25RPM
Apr 10, 2018
well as I said I love it.. but must admit having played for a while now, MarkR is fairly spot on, with his review. Would like some help with ffb and wheel settings as. off the bat its a bit all or nothing. I am very new to sim racing and I think thats why I like it so much. straight into (for me) close fun racing.

Reactions: D_Dark

MarkR

500RPM
Premium
Feb 8, 2017
Would like some help with ffb and wheel settings as. off the bat its a bit all or nothing.
Thanks, glad you are enjoying and a couple of suggestions:

- Only 270 and 360 degrees of rotation felt anywhere near natural to me on the TX458 wheelbase, it's a Codemasters game so 270/360 usually work well. Which wheel are you using? Someone here will probably have some good settings for the specific wheel.

- Adjust the FFB either up or down (depending on your wheel) until you get a decent amount of wheel centre resistance. If the FFB is nudging the wheel slightly left and right off centre on the strights the FFB strength is too high. I had to drop the FFB strength slightly on the TX to stop the wheel 'hunting' on the straights.

Once you've got a decent level of feel and force in the wheel:

- Turn off the TCS, ABS and SC for most cars this makes them far more natural to drive. For the really crazy cars like the Porsche 917 I had no choice but to add TCS 3 and SC 2 just to keep it on track.

- Adjust the tuning, even one-click forward on the springs and dampers (for real ciruits) can stop a lot of the snap oversteer. On the street tracks with a lot of kerbs it's usually best to soften the springs and dampers to allow you to use more of the kerbs.

Most important thing is you're enjoying the racing in the game, that's the best part of it!

graham123

25RPM
Apr 10, 2018
I'm using a logitech g29 wheel and pedal set up, I think I'll folow your suggestions and "play " with the settings

HoiHman

500RPM
Premium
Dec 7, 2009
With the memories of the original Grid, i was really looking forward to this one. So i bought the ultimate version and have had access to the game since Tuesday.

I was expecting this to be the game i would be playing for at least the next couple of weeks because of nostalgic reasons. Now i have a high end race rig with 4 Dof motion, a direct drive and even a GS-5 seat and was excited to enjoy the game in the best way possible.

The great thing about the AccuForce is that it lets you bypass the FFB coming from the game and use the superiour FFB coming from SimCommander 4.

I even got the good old dashmeter pro working again and was looking forward to some good old fashioned arcade racing on my 49" Samsung monitor. :D

I can't say i haven't enjoyed the arcade style racing (after getting used to the physics),
But apparently the game is not good enough to keep my interest to still play it this weekend, only a couple of days after the initial release.

The experience with all the toys enabled can be quite good, since at least codemasters have enabled the telemetry data out function, but ihmo the major flaw is that the entire career exists of only 3-4 lap races.

In only 3 laps you have to force yourself to the front of the pack with lots of aggressive driving.
You are in a constant rush because of the very short race distances. After a while this start to get boring and repetitive. The nemesis and team mate are all useless because the races are too short to experience any changes from them.

Also the lack of a good adjustable cockpit and dashcam view leaves an ultra widescreen user like me with undesirable driving views.

I'm not saying i won't play the game at all any more, but i hope the first patch (of many) will bring some fixes to my main gripes.

RKip455

Attack Life, its going to Kill you Anyway!
Premium
Sep 5, 2008
Well I have to completely disagree with this post.... so it's not misleading to other folks who may be interested.
Note: I play these games on my Xbox normally until I can get on PC for half price.

Setup is a TX wheel and T3PA pro Pedals and the TH8A shifter in a Sim rig from Fanatec.

Graphics: I think the graphics on Xbox are not as good as FM7 but as good as DR 2.0 and F1. Though blurred more than I'd like.

I do not think the car looses traction although as in other GRID releases... the FFB is weak nd not as good as FM7, F1, or DR 2.0. This is the most disappointing feature or lack thereof for me.

The curbs are mostly street corners with square curbing and with stability and traction control off, yes, it will spin... doesn't most race games???

Content is the best feature and it's loaded with awesome race car models, the sound is good and the liveries are good. Career mode is well done.... and there are many different races and once you get into the WRS (which I haven't) an entirely new series opens.

Its a pretty mediocre game if you ask me

Graphics are not that great. Handling is also not great. You cannot push the car like in arcade racers and if you step on the throttle you never know when the rear will lose traction.

The car spins on curbs for no reason.

I also feel there is not much content in the game. Halfway through the "career" in every class and not much choice of cars.

It's a fun arcade game and its fun, not as good as DR/Dr2, F1, FM7 or AC.... for games on Xbox.

After 2 days i'm allready bored with this game.

graham123

25RPM
Apr 10, 2018
well this game is begining to get like marmite, love it or hate it.
I wonder if those that love it like me, are new or casual sim racing types???
and the detractors are long time racers with alot more ability and experience.
would be interesting to see....your opinions please,without turning it into a flame war

Andy Kettler

500RPM
Jul 3, 2011
Handling is like Grid Autosport (beside the teflon curbs) so i like the game...

But it lacks a lot features and details that Grid Autosport had... I mean a LOT...

Michel Bélisle

250RPM
Premium
Nov 3, 2018
My advice would be, don't do like us, wait for the game to be discounted then give it a try. Also, by then, Codemaster may have fixed some of the issues.

Last edited:

GP20

250RPM
Oct 24, 2016
I have 50-60 fps in 4K and graphics are brillant IMO.

Yes the ffb is arcadish and there is too much oversteer, if it wasn't the game could have compete with serious sim racing competitors.
I like it for what it is. Graphics remember me Drive Club and i like it.

I think that deception comes from the fact that people would like to have it coming on the simulation side with good ffb and less mad IA.

I share this point of view. I would like to have serious races with this game, with good ffb less foolish IA and onboard view settings (and more classical tracks).

Being able to race silverstone and brands hatch reversed is great and tracks look georgous in 4K (cars too).

This game deserv support and perhaps we will have what we are looking for.
Cars and tracks look better than in AC, ACC, R3E or PC2.