Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Surprise! A new GRID game is heading our way this September 13th.

Having been heavily focussed on their rally and Formula One games since 2014’s GRID Autosport released, Codemasters have today made the surprise announcement that the popular franchise will be making a return to console and PC this year – confirming GRID 4 is set to release this September on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Featuring the usual mix of real world and fantasy tracks located across four continents, plus plenty of racing content from low power machines to Grand Prix cars, GRID should offer plenty of variety for players of all skill levels when it drops later this year.

GRID_SanFran_Muscle_4.jpg

GRID_Ferrari_Brands_Hatch_1.jpg

Although exact details regarding the depth of content set to ship within the game has yet to be revealed by Codemasters, the British development team have confirmed the inclusion of Formula One machinery, in the form of at the least the 2006 Renault RS06.

With the new title having been developed in conjunction with Fernando Alonso and his eSport racing team, players will have the opportunity to race against the former double World Champion and 2018 Le Mans winner in game, as part of the structured career mode the title is so famous for in previous iterations of the franchise.

“We are also delighted to work alongside Fernando Alonso who is arguably one of the world’s greatest ever drivers” said Chris Smith, GRID Game Director at Codemasters. “His experience and knowledge has enabled us to make improvements to both the performance and handling of our cars. We could not be more proud to have signed him both in-game and as a Race Consultant. We can’t wait for our players to experience the final version when it comes to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC this September.”

As well as the inclusion of Alonso, images revealed from the game also reveal Brands Hatch will be included in the base version of the title, as well as a selection of tin top machines such as a TCR spec VW Golf and various American muscle cars.

GRID_VW_Brands_Hatch_2.jpg

GRID is well known as a ‘simcade’ style game, and it looks like the latest release will continue that trend, but with leanings towards simulation in order to appease a wide variety of driving tastes.

“GRID as a racing franchise is revered by our community and we are delighted to bring it to the current generation of consoles,” continued Smith. “The game offers so much variety and depth, from the number of modern and classic cars through to the locations and race options. Renowned for its handling, the game will appeal to all types of player, from casual drivers who want a lean-in challenge, to sim drivers who want some serious fun”

The game is already available to pre-order, and it looks like Codemasters will be adopting the DiRT 2.0 approach to post release DLC, with space set aside for 3 ‘seasons’ of additional purchasable content confirmed during the initial announcement.

More news will follow, as and when it becomes available.

GRID_Shanghai_Muscle_Shot_4.jpg

GRID will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC September 13th 2019.

Stay tuned to the upcoming GRID 4 sun forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions about this exciting new game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
It's a shame that the FOV is so limited. In F1 and Dirt games I really feel conected to the car/game, but in grid 2019, I dust don't get that feeling. It's such a shame, Grid was responsable for really getting me into car games :) (& Ridge Racer).

It still arcade, but handle nothing like the other GRID. It sure does deliver a more authentic driving feel than any other GRID & some handling behavior are more realistic than Assetto Corsa while the rest is more exaggerated. When you steer over the limit or hard on the brake, the car actually do plow straight & you actually do need throttle control going out of a corner, etc. When you need to countersteer out of a corner from too much throttle, it snap hard like it should.

People don't know what is oversteer(when the traction in the rear is inferior to the front ). This happen when you need to countersteer, but you hardly need to. The car are very neutral that it rotate easily & still in control of the car. Like AC, it has no lift off oversteer.

Ok been playing gridfor a few months now and enjoy the Not so serious game play and can hold my own solo, so today I tried a multiplayer game and got hammered??? In fact I was left for dead even from the start I was miles behind at the first corner and all the human players lite years faster??? example on the San Fran track with the jumps I was 40 seconds a lap slower!!!!!

what am I not doing?????

Hey all, I plunked down the $9 for the Ultimate Edition during the Fall sale and am having serious control issues.

I have a TM TX base with the Ferrari F1 wheel. I keep the lock at 400 degrees which has been fine for every other game. But in this game the sensitivity is too much. I changed the linearity but the result is that the steering wheel feels connected to the rack with a rubber band. (And road feel is bad enough as it is). The car wallows even when going in a straight line. I've tried to fool the wheel through calibration that I have 900 degrees of lock, then tried 270 degrees of lock, and no meaningful change in sensitivity.

Game looks and runs great, and despite the control issues, I could see myself having a lot of fun given what I've already experienced. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey all, I plunked down the $9 for the Ultimate Edition during the Fall sale and am having serious control issues.

I have a TM TX base with the Ferrari F1 wheel. I keep the lock at 400 degrees which has been fine for every other game. But in this game the sensitivity is too much. I changed the linearity but the result is that the steering wheel feels connected to the rack with a rubber band. (And road feel is bad enough as it is). The car wallows even when going in a straight line. I've tried to fool the wheel through calibration that I have 900 degrees of lock, then tried 270 degrees of lock, and no meaningful change in sensitivity.

Game looks and runs great, and despite the control issues, I could see myself having a lot of fun given what I've already experienced. Any help would be appreciated.

I did the same - great deal, the game is a lot of fun and looks great!

As far as your wheel issues...only my personal opinion, but I don't even bother with a wheel for these types of titles. Everything about the FFB effects and wheel support in general drives me nuts in these arcade titles. It never feels right and always ends up making me wish I had just fired up a sim instead. Accordingly, I play GRID with an Xbox One gamepad - it plays great.

Just my 2 cents.

I did the same - great deal, the game is a lot of fun and looks great!

As far as your wheel issues...only my personal opinion, but I don't even bother with a wheel for these types of titles. Everything about the FFB effects and wheel support in general drives me nuts in these arcade titles. It never feels right and always ends up making me wish I had just fired up a sim instead. Accordingly, I play GRID with an Xbox One gamepad - it plays great.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the quick response. I enjoyed the first GRID with a pad, and it was very fun. But I also enjoy Codie's F1 games, I thought they did a great job with feel. (Not superb, but its extremely immersive). I was hoping for something close. I'm not looking for AMS 2 here, just some decent XP earning gameplay with realistic handling (not life-like). Can't wait to get off work and play with more settings...

Thanks for the quick response. I enjoyed the first GRID with a pad, and it was very fun. But I also enjoy Codie's F1 games, I thought they did a great job with feel. (Not superb, but its extremely immersive). I was hoping for something close. I'm not looking for AMS 2 here, just some decent XP earning gameplay with realistic handling (not life-like). Can't wait to get off work and play with more settings...

These are my settings they work fine enough for a G29. Soft lock is off and forced 540 degrees through drivers. (but use 360 for the Prototypes and open wheelers)

Don't forget to recalibrate the wheel ingame after you change degrees through the driver.

20200728194012_1.jpg

Last edited:
I put my wheel into 900 degree mode, and in the game it was great. I put it back to 400 degs, but didn't recalibrate and its in a pretty good place. I'm afraid to increase the FFB though in case I mess something up. Game is a lot of fun. The AI put up a great challenge. Someone complained about the rubber banding earlier, but I straight up finished 14th in a race, and I normally kick butt on Hard on these games... Early in the career mode its pretty easy though.

Monumental issues with this utter piece of garbage trying to get it to work with a controller, what is it with Crap masters and their input, menu and UI stuff in the last 10 years or so, I have had issues with nearly every game of theirs, and none with anything else. Sometimes it recognises the inputs fine, sometimes it puts them to 50% for some idiotic reason MID bloody GAME, sometimes it fails to even see them. I do so wish I had known this and asked for my fiver back as this is pure garbage of the highest order it really is.

I have a wheel yes, but I tried it and it was like playing a 20 year old game with a Fanatec so pad is the only way to enjoy this, tried one race, everything was fine, then onto the next one, no changes made and the whole thing turns to snot. Throttle and brake are suddenly set to 50% each with nothing changed by me, i mean how in GODS name is that ;possible just at random, it is beyond belief.

No wonder this company was sold, they really are about as dire as it gets, I have had better products from indies for a very long time now, thank god I have NEVER and will NEVER pay full price for any Crap masters titles.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 436 39.5%