Greetz All! - New to Netkar

Hello everyone! My name's Jonny and I think I'm up for a bit of racing with y'all, if that's ok by everybody here. I'm 28, married, American expat from Montana living in Somerset UK (long story). For the first time in almost 20 years, I find myself without a physical car, motorcyle, or other means of motorized transportation (not for long, hopefully), so I'm making up for it virtually, with all the advantages that can entail these days. I've been racing MotoX bikes IRL since I was ~10 so, like many here I assume, I've got a bit of a thing for fast motorsports.

I'm more-or-less new to online sim racing but it looks like most everybody here is cool about letting noobs get up to speed, which is largely why I'm here. I've played all kinds of driving "sims" and arcade stuff over the years... but NetKar is on another level compared to those. I just unlocked my full license today, so it's time to practice. I think I'm going to need all the help I can get ;).

I look forward to driving with all of you!

Take care,
Jonny

Hi Jonny, :welcome: to netKar, the BEST RaceSim on the planet, IMHO.

And theres always a spot on the grid for new drivers :thumb: and you couldnt find a cleaner field of drivers :)

The guys here are a FIRST CLASS group, with a DASH OF CRAZY, lol, and will pretty much help ya with anything mate, so dont hesitate to ask.
Theres a cool pirate team here too, so If ya partial to parrots and like a drop of Rum ya know who to talk to, lol, I hear they have an all female crew too :D. Hey Sergio!!! :thumb: :wink:

Maybe see ya on the practice server later.

Cheers

Thanks for coming and introducing yourself Jonathan!:doublethumb:

I put your name on the list for wednesday's race! It's great to see you plan on being a regular!:) As you can already see everyone here in the NKP race club is here to help you if you have any questions or need any assistance starting out :) Welcome aboard!

Welcome Jonny,

I've only been here a week and everyone has been great and friendly, but maybe that's because I'm slow, if you're quick they may hate you!!

See you on Wednesday evening.

Adam

Well, against the times being put up over on the race thread.... 1:24:xx (!) and what have you... I think it's fairly safe to say I won't be attracting much hate ;).

On a more technical note, I've been working on a custom livery for my Osella and I have to say... as somebody with a LOT of 3D and Photoshop experience, I'm finding it a bit frustrating to do anything but fairly basic skinning modification. Clearly the UV Maps were done in a really slipshod manner... all kinds of unavoidable texture stretching, obvious seams, overlapping areas, reversed areas - total cowboy job. *If anybody knows how to convert the proprietary .nko file back to a 3ds Max .ase file (pm me if you can't post how to do so in public) PLEASE let me know.* I'd really like to be able to make new UVs so I can make a proper skinning template to share, bake a shadow map that looks a lot better than superimposing the grey skins included with nkPro, or at least be able to somewhat compensate for texture stretching by painting certain areas in 3d instead of photoshop.

Cheers ~J

Alrighty - HERE is my finished Osella livery (link also posted on the club race thread, since I'll be using it this Wednesday).

Presenting to you: The #33 J. La Trobe-Lewis Carbon Fiber and Red "TruBlood Racing" sponsored Osella. (It started off as a plain Budweiser Racing sponsored car, but I decided that was too typical for an unusual character like myself :tongue:).

jlatrobelewisosella_Lau.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 315 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 216 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years