Greedy? How about a simple thank you!

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Just saw this on Facebook and I hate to admit it but Stacy is totally right and finally speaks out of a trend in this community that I also not like!
348rfrq.png

It seems nowadays that taking is very normal but a tiny thank you is too much to ask for.

Well, I got some thank yous' on my AI Mod and some on my Guide how to make an AI mod.. But they're the usual "suspects". They were happy for V1 on my AI Mod, they said thank you for it... They said for V2 too... They said for the Guide too.. Usually the same people.. Others just take it and run away. Or if someone has a question (for the Guide..) he says thank you before asking.. :D :D

But yea, usually your work isn't appreciated and everyone tries to find where you've made a mistake... :/

I really hope we can announce our new resource manager soon so all uploads are displayed in a nice way (just like in the past) and where there is room to review and rank each upload.

Hate to see creative modders leave because some people are getting too lazy to even click a thank you button or post a simple reply to show they are grateful for the work others do for them.

Couldn't agree more.

More and more people are just taking what you work on as being the norm. Not a thought on what's actually gone into producing it.

You get the regulars that might appreciate your work, but as with most other mods, just download it and that's it!

Generally in my case anyway, my coment ratio is about 1 per 25-ish downloads.

Nowdays it's common to have a comment along the lines of....What about doing this?

No please, or likewise no thank you for the previous work.

Doesn't bother me too much as I just do what I do, but I can understand that a thank you can go a long way, and at least shows some respect to a modder.

I really hope we can announce our new resource manager soon so all uploads are displayed in a nice way (just like in the past) and where there is room to review and rank each upload.

Hate to see creative modders leave because some people are getting too lazy to even click a thank you button or post a simple reply to show they are grateful for the work others do for them.

Yep, there is a like button. Let's see how many likes I have.. 5 likes on the Guide. I spend a lot of time to write it.. Anyways, I'm happy I made a poll above it which has 15 votes for "This helped me.". :D At least I'm getting satisfied of this number! :D

And yea, the download system was very good. We should all upload the mods here, and if you don't have a registration - you can't download. You can even make it with some kind of rating or something.. So we don't have people that just register and download.. :)

A lot of laziness and a lack of respect around these days, that's the problem. I gave up releasing mods to the public long ago for this very reason. When someone gives you hours of work that enhances your entertainment completely free of charge, is it really too much for people to give them a 'thank you' that takes half a second?

And yea, the download system was very good.

New system will be even better. Problem is that its not finished yet. We do have the powerful server with tons of bandwidth but the software is not ready.

In relation to the mods I have the same grieves with donations and ignoring of advertisements. People don't seem to realize that sim racing costs a lot of efforts from modders and paid expenses by the host. Unfortunately nothing in this world is for free, but why botter clicking one ad per month if you can also just ignore it with an adblocker right :)

Sometimes I really wonder why we still put so much time and efforts in this community 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

A lot of laziness and a lack of respect around these days, that's the problem

I don't know what is causing it to be honest. Ideas? Is it related to a new generation of gamers? Facebook and other social media? Megaupload e.a.?

Keep up the good fight. Don't worry about the ungrateful trolls. I look forward to the created material that is released. Outstanding work and trust me people are very grateful.

I don't know what is causing it to be honest. Ideas? Is it related to a new generation of gamers? Facebook and other social media? Megaupload e.a.?

For the laziness.. It's just because mostly we have teenagers here. Every teenager is lazy. It's normal. But now with this computers, they don't go out, they don't write their homeworks, they don't study... And all of this makes them lazier because they don't do anything! I bet some of them are even too lazy to go to the toilet! They do it once they can't hold up more! And we talk about saying "thank you". That's a lot of work to do! They have to scroll down, click with the mouse, write it... Click post reply.. That's energy wasting! Hahaha.

Another reason they're not saying thank you is just because a lot of them don't think from this point of view. They don't even care of the modder. They download a mod, use it.. They think.. Uuu this is nice, that mod rocks... But the modder is NEVER in their minds. And they also take it as we're required to make mods for them. It's just that the new generations are degradating, they're getting more greedy, more stupid, all they think about is how good they are and they don't care who'll they f**k up (sorry for such words..) - they just have to get to their objective.. If this will be able only if they have to kill their mothers.. They will! :( Sad.. It's very sad.. :(

I'll probably sound like an old fogey (which I am not), but I think it's a combination of the current generation and the internet as a whole.

Common courtesy, manners and politeness have been going downhill for years, apparently getting worse with each successive generation. Loads of reasons for that, which are not worth going into here.

As for the internet, it's just so impersonal. Most people would say 'thank you' to someone face-to-face without even thinking about it. It's practically automatic for most of us. On the internet however, no-one seems to care. On the net people are just avatars and usernames. You never have to face them in reality, so the usual concepts that govern social interaction just go straight out of the window for a worryingly large section of the online community.

And as for laziness... it's soooo much easier to just click 'download' than it is to type a massive 9 characters to form the words 'thank you'.

I think the new download section will hopefully go some way to helping in this matter.

As it stands, and I'm not completely sure of this but you can download from here whether you are a member or not?

This might also be a partial reason for the lack of comments or thank you's as don't you need to be a member to comment on the forums?

Plus the old download section was very well laid out, easy to navigate and understand. I await the new one......so excited a little bit of wee just came out.... :cautious:

Also it doesn't help when the download section is full of threads that do not actually contain any mods, but just questions etc etc.

Going through these might be a bit off putting for some too.

Oh a Kistiannn.....that was a bit strong wasn't it fella....lmao...easy dude.

:D

The Modder puts a lot of thought to make things and try's hard to get the thing exciting for Every one but if he cannot get the simple Thanx and this may lead to situations like Stacy posted in Facebook
So The User needs to be active enough to say a Thank you while Downloading the Mod

im glad i was able to get peoples light on this big problem but seems some people think what ive said is insulting. Sorry but the truth sometimes hurts. I love RD why i came back after the changes and started to share my work but if people are not going to show common courtesy and appreciation for the time i put in for there enjoyment then ill have to find some were else.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 249 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 167 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 166 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 122 7.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 229 13.9%