Graphics optimization question

I am generally pleased with the graphics in ACC. I have a high-end system and can use EPIC across the board. One aspect that still bothers me (although better than in earlier releases) is the pop-in effect so close to the driver. Trees and foliage snap into proper detail, shadows appear on the road or shadows fill-in properly on/under buildings very close to the driver's view. It kind of kills the immersion to see tree branches as overblown blobs that suddenly appear as fully fleshed-out branches and leaves. Same with shadows suddenly appearing.

Are there LOD or draw distance settings I am unaware of, or has Kunos just used very conservative settings (even on EPIC) to cut down on the whinging about poor frame rates when you crank up the graphics?

I see exactly what you mean, for example in hungaroring, after turn 4 you can clearly sea tree shadows appearing. And on the straight line before there is a LOD tree clipping. In the end i prefer to play on Shadow and LOD tree (advanced option) at the lowest possible, so there is no clipping because the game isn't loading anything.

Have you tried going into Graphics options > advanced? There is an option in there for foilage LODs I think...?

I will look and report back! Did not see it while tooling around.

Hmmmm, very confusing. I already had Foliage on EPIC in the main settings, but then you are correct, there is a Foliage LOD setting in Advanced. It was set to Medium. Will test and edit this with results a bit later.

EDIT: problem solved Foliage LOD is set to EPIC. Anything below EPIC and the foliage detail pops in very visibly. Cost: major frame rate hit.

Shadows--even when set to EPIC are late to appear and still disturb the foliage. Before, the foliage detail and the shadow effect popped-in late. Now, the detail is always there, but the late shadow appearance (in the trees, for example), is very distracting (for me, at least).

I guess I am not particularly impressed that competitive and sim-useful frame rates require such big compromises on visual quality. I thought UE4 was better than that.

Last edited:
I have the same Problem with the shadows appearing or chaning very close to the car, didn't find a solution yet. I think everybody that hasn't got this problem is just not as sensitive for things like that.

• Deleted member 197115

I just use everything on Epic with Shadow Quality High as they are many folds more taxing on Epic, contact shadows on and LOD disabled. Can't tell I can see this issue, may be very little on the first lap but after that all solid.
Oh, and I use DLAA, best thing ever for ACC.
This is on monitor, btw, VR can be completely different ballgame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing