Graphics card for older PCIx x16 v1.0

Looking for a new graphics card compatible with PCIx x16. This will be used on an older MOBO (Abit AN8 Ultra) that has a first generation slot - NOT v2.0 or v2.1. Yes, the newer version cards are suppose to be backward compatible but I ran into problems trying to use a Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5770 - computer would not post. I found many others with similar problem when trying to use the Radeon 57xx cards in a PCIx v1.0 slot. May be related to an AMD based MOBO with nForce4 chipset.

I will be building a new PC for sim racing but money is tight right now. Thought I could get the graphics card now and the rest later.

Anyone using a newer, good performing, card in a first generation PCIx x16 slot MOBO? Suggestions?

Thanks...

If you can find an ATI 9660 or 9680, they were good cards, though any of those generation of cards are going to be limited on ram. I think the most back then was 512mb but not sure now.

Upvote 0
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't necessarily want to skimp on the card as I would be using it in my new build in the next 3 to 6 months. I liked your suggestion on the 5770 it just didn't work out. - would have been a very good bang-for-the-buck. I could have NewEgg send me a replacement just in case I got a bad card but I honestly think it was a compatibility issue.
I wonder if an nVidia card would be more compatible with the nForce4 chipset on my MOBO - thats assuming that the compatibility problem was not related to the first generation PCIx x16 slot or something else.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back