Why? It is the most hardcore arcade game out there. I've got a chance to play it at a public event and it is literally Mario Cart. That is not to say it's bad, on the contrary, it is really fun, more fun than Mario Cart. I don't see how it needs a comprehensive engine with those physics.

Why? It is the most hardcore arcade game out there. I've got a chance to play it at a public event and it is literally Mario Cart. That is not to say it's bad, on the contrary, it is really fun, more fun than Mario Cart. I don't see how it needs a comprehensive engine with those physics.

Why should it be arcade though?
I don't get the logic?
Is it the old sim racers logic of 'if its made for the mass market it must be easy to drive and arcade..."
News flash, driving cars IS EASY!!!
And made for the mass market...
Humans invented cars so they made them ever easier to drive.... the car is doing all the work these days anyway....
If a 'game' is making a car spin around at 180 degrees on a dry track going 30 mph round a bend it is not a sim.... NOT the other way around.......
So fed up with idiots in sim racing... CARS GRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!

GPL was wrong wrong wrong, rfactor 1 was wrong and FINALLY they admitted this with rfactor 2 last year.....
GRIP IS WHAT IS THE FOUNDATION OF CARS AND RACING CARS TO DO WHAT THEY DO IF THEY DID NOT GRIP THEY WOULD OF STAYED ON HORSES....

He is repeating what he read elsewhere, as ever. Studio 397 head's words on their Discord channel.
This was actually said when the game was announced. Look for the engine name + the grand tour you'll probably find some info. It's also called Amazon engine, not sure.
Just because something uses a decent engine does not mean it will look good. Fortnite looks stupid and runs on UE4.

As for the "why rF2?"... maybe it's easier to make an arcade game with a sim. I mean if you ever messed up with rF1/2 physics file you can see it's not hard to make an arcade car, you give it a ton of grip and downforce, a convincing CoG and you are done.
rF1 tire model is present in rF2 so they probably use that instead of rF2 tires, then you have the benefit of a 64bit system already with 24h cycle, weather, AI, rejoin (if they drive online). Etc.
Win-win.

Last edited:
But what is simcade?

Is Lewis's F1 Merc 'simcade' compared to Jim Clarkes Lotus which is sim?

What even is the arcade simcade? It's used incorrectly as if you simulate a GT3 car with traction control and its ease of use, sero and grippy tyres...how is it simcade? The car is easy to drive FFS in real life why make it harder in a bloody game?

Why in a game would you make cars not grip just to please a bunch of sad basement dwellers still using GPL as a benchmark....
Please i beg every sim racer, go out the house and drive real racing car, any racing car, hell even a Kart and try to see what grip is and what feel is...

rF1 tire model is present in rF2 so they probably use that instead of rF2 tires
What what? :)
To the best of my knowledge these two are completely different animals.
Where the first incarnations of the rF2 TM could be seen as some kind of rF1.5 but later was developed to the complete different and much more advanced animal rF2
In rF1 you could directly edit the tire models grip curves (I have tried :) ) where in rF2 you have to use some rather complicated tools because you have no direct access to the values.

What what? :)
To the best of my knowledge these two are completely different animals.
Where the first incarnations of the rF2 TM could be seen as some kind of rF1.5 but later was developed to the complete different and much more advanced animal rF2
In rF1 you could directly edit the tire models grip curves (I have tried :) ) where in rF2 you have to use some rather complicated tools because you have no direct access to the values.
The AI use rF1 player tire model, you can use it too in dev mode. There was a talk about allowing players to use it back then (would probably help some rF1 leagues to move into rF2) but I think it wont happen. But it is there, just a matter of allowing it.

1 take 2 things from this

1. the concept I love
Been saying for years Codemasters as best example needed to get ahead of the curve ball
Have DLC by rounds , what a money spinner, I think raceroom proves this to a lesser degree

2 .......and I don't care I am a broken record. or off topic

Engines physics same old ....... I forget so long ago since rF2
rehashes with moderate improvements and all pulling in different directions
of physics philosophy ....why ?

I would rather buy 6 titles and have universal performance and hardware application
Take your best VR experience and have in all productions
FFB that would not go Jekyll and Hyde every 2nd sim
Tyres that would react the same so sims did not feel from alien worlds

"There can be only one " ......Highlander

Say that to my RWD Volvo in any other month than July or August.
Now add better HP/ton ratio and say it to any other RWD car, especially when turning assists off. Even on slicks and on a hot track. I managed to lose even hot hatches on slicks, just lift off oversteer on a minor undulation. And we're talking about proper sportscars here...

Last edited:
Say that to my RWD Volvo in any other month than July or August.
Now add better HP/ton ratio and say it to any other RWD car, especially when turning assists off.
? Start car, push clutch in, place in first. Ease clutch out while giving gas. Turn wheel left. Car goes left. Turn wheel right, car goes right. Hit brake, car stops. See, it's easy.

Turn wheel left. Car goes left. Turn wheel right, car goes right.
My mate crashed my former car (fwd hatch with low CoG) on snowy road, just following the logic you've described here. Understeered into the pole on the opposite side of the road. And he was doing 30 or 40 km/h, the road was turning. He never considered the low center of gravity, weight transfer and other things. And ABS didn't help much too, hitting the brakes and staying on them was his next big mistake.
And considering how many people lost their Mustangs or C5-C7 corvettes in snap oversteer (even not talking about mid engine cars huh) on a perfectly warm tarmac roads, using wide low profile tires... Means the driving them is not that easy when going over the limit of driving on public roads with traffic. I.e. when you take it on a track.

Last edited:
My mate crashed my former car (fwd hatch with low CoG) on snowy road, just following the logic you've described here. Understeered into the pole on the opposite side of the road. And he was doing 30 or 40 km/h, the road was turning. He never considered the low center of gravity, weight transfer and other things. And ABS didn't help much too, hitting the brakes and staying on them was his next big mistake.
And considering how many people lost their Mustangs or C5-C7 corvettes in snap oversteer (even not talking about mid engine cars huh) on a perfectly warm tarmac roads, using wide low profile tires... Means the driving them is not that easy when going over the limit of driving on public roads with traffic. I.e. when you take it on a track.
Because they are over-driving the car. Not because driving a car is difficult. Also, there are adverse conditions involved, where they shouldn't have been driving in the first place.

Because they are over-driving the car. Not because driving a car is difficult. Also, there are adverse conditions involved, where they shouldn't have been driving in the first place.
I've been posting a long wall of text, but seems I've missed my initial point.
Even before we consider forces, weight transfer, road imperfections - I assume if someone would give McLaren P1 to you, me, apex911 or whoever else who haven't experienced such cars before, and ask to drive 30 mph round the bend, we would crash it. IF we approach it like we approach our sim cars: not learning the throttle/steering response, overall dimensions of the car, and turning off everything that's possible to turn off because we're the hardcore men.
Also the argument of "can't drive 30 kmh around the bend in /name your preferred simulation/" lacks the details, like what you've been doing before your car reached 30 kmh and the bend. Where the car was in relation to racing line, was it accelerating or braking, if braking - how, had the weight of the car been put at least a little to the centre while entering the bend, or was it all at the front in the moment of turning. Was the bend cambered? How abbrasive the surface of that bend? Etc etc. If we're talking about skidpad, well the same - what forces were applied and when. Also one thing I believe goes misconceptioned about skidpads is that in reality they are not perfectly flat, while in simulations on some test tracks they don't have even 1mm difference. Making a slight physical noise to the skidpad would lead to more realistic, even if very subtle to notice, behaviour.

But what is simcade?
hell even a Kart and try to see what grip is and what feel is...
Funny you mentioned that, because the kart is one of the easiest examples of how the illusion of infinite grip can bite you in the, uhm, rear end.
The lack of suspension and very short wheelbase makes it react to slightest difference instantly. While the chassis flex can help you in some situations, in others it will make you confused, as well as lack of front brakes; and rear brakes that can make the kart both understeer and oversteer.

CARS GRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Define what is a car to you.
To me, car is a sum of it's parts. And cars don't grip. Tires do grip. Cars do both - help tires grip and get in the tire's way to grip, depending on the speed, conditions, and type of car's component specs (aerodynamics, suspension, weight and weight distribution, etc), former and latter may vary.
When I had my previouos car, I've been taking it to the track with different tires. One set of tires was more "loosy", the limit of lateral grip was lower, but it was more linear and progressive as well. After you sense the lateral grip is lost, it's easy regained.
Then I went to another tires later on, and their limit of grip was way above the previous tires. The car behaved like a different car. But when that limit of grip is reached - it's done. It was never been able to regain until the car is backwards, or until you have time/space and actually engine momentum to power through and get the car drag itself from the slide (it was FWD). There is a corner where you're meant to trail brake, but also when it starts it goes downstairs. Using former set of tires, I've learned where the limit is, and it was not such a big deal, the grip was quite easily regained. Using latter set of tires the car set itself backwards within a second. Other components of the car were the same, and the time between runs was short, so nothing became too much worn out to make such difference. Only tires. Even season/time of day were the same.

Last edited:
Why should it be arcade though?
I don't get the logic?
Is it the old sim racers logic of 'if its made for the mass market it must be easy to drive and arcade..."
And made for the mass market...
Humans invented cars so they made them ever easier to drive.... the car is doing all the work these days anyway....
If a 'game' is making a car spin around at 180 degrees on a dry track going 30 mph round a bend it is not a sim.... NOT the other way around.......
So fed up with idiots in sim racing... CARS GRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!

GPL was wrong wrong wrong, rfactor 1 was wrong and FINALLY they admitted this with rfactor 2 last year.....
GRIP IS WHAT IS THE FOUNDATION OF CARS AND RACING CARS TO DO WHAT THEY DO IF THEY DID NOT GRIP THEY WOULD OF STAYED ON HORSES....
Did you even read my comment? I have played the game, I know it is an arcade and I was explicitly told by the representative that it is. Very intelligent comment you are making :)

Btw, did I ever mention that it has nitro boost, drift button and power ups that you pick up by hitting boxes hovering above tracks?

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years