Can't imagine this is going to be much more than a simple tie in with basic game play. If it's cheap and a bit of fun it will probably be enjoyable for fans of the trio.

They have had a tie in with some game before when they were top gear didn't they? Maybe they've been allowed to borrow a developed game engine and just need to fill in the content, which might make it OK.

"Maybe they've been allowed to borrow a developed game engine"
looks like UE4...

on another note: it might be a bit of fun but if they price it as a full AAA game its not going to sell

The Grand Tour Videogame.png

The upcoming official Grand Tour videogame will utilise technology developed in rFactor 2, it has been confirmed.

Published by the big budget Amazon Games Studio, the upcoming arcade racer the Grand Tour Videogame has a rather surprising technology base at the very core of its development - the Image Space Incorporated created rFactor 2 ISI gMotor 2 game engine - surprise!

Of course not an exact extract from rF2, the Grand Tour Game has been developed with the aid of Studio 397 and several other industry expert companies, with a bespoke graphic engine and physics tailored to suit a more arcade centric driving experience for players of all different skill sets and experiences to enjoy.

Expected to release this coming January 15th, the Grand Tour will be a rather unique game as it contains one very interesting feature - namely the title will coincide with the new series of Grand Tour and feature new unlockable content that directly relates to each episode of the Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond motoring show.

“I think I’m justified in saying that we’re the first video game team in history to make a game that launches day-and-date with a weekly live airing TV show,” said Amazon Games Studio Craig Sullivan to MCVUK.​

"I started off underplaying how significant it is, because we kind of take it for granted now. I’ve been working on the game since April last year when I joined Amazon. And then I realised as we were talking about it more and more: ‘Has anybody done this before?’ And we realised the answer to that was no.”
Unfortunately it looks likely that PC gamers will have to miss out on the game adventure of the new title, with just PS4 and Xbox One players expected to have an opportunity to purchase the title next year via Digital Pass, with new content deployed weekly in line with the Amazon exclusive Grand Tour TV show.

Like what you see at RaceDepartment? Follow us on social media!

... Why use rF2 as a base for an arcade game? Whether you like the physics engine or not, I'm given to understand it has the most complex tire model and overall a very detailed physics engine. That's pretty much wasted on an arcade title. That choice doesn't really make any sense to me.