Grand Prix Teams Interested in Schumacher Jr?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
mick sch.jpg

Rumor has it that Mick Schumacher, son of legendary 7 time Formula One World Champion Michael Schumacher, is being courted by Formula One powerhouses Ferrari and Mercedes.

With Schumacher Jr having just completed his debut season in Formula 4 the 16-year-old last week tested for European F3 team Prema, an Italian outfit with close links to Ferrari. Reportedly on hand to oversee the test was Ferrari's Luca Baldisserri, fueling speculation that the Italian marque are interested in bringing in the young German driver to the team which dominated the early 00's with father Michael at the wheel, securing 5 drivers World Championships between 2001 and 2004.

Also throwing its hat into the ring are current World Championship outfit AMG Mercedes who have offered Little Schumi an opportunity to attend its annual end-of-season Stars and Cars event in Stuttgart, and according to the Kolner Express tabloid is now stepping up its quest to secure Mick's future.

With a potential contract on the table for Schumacher to move into F3 next year driving for current F4 team Van Amersfoort (powered by Mercedes engines no less) the immediate future seems to already be well mapped for this young driver. With top Grand Prix teams already showing an interest it might not be all that long until we see the famous Schumacher name gracing the Formula One grid once again.

Sad to see it's all about his name again.
He has talent, i like his character and driving style, but there are better drivers out there.
David Beckmann has beaten Mick Schumacher when karting and also in Formula 4.
He is even younger than Mick and missed out the first race of the Formula 4 cause he was too young.

I'd love to see Mick in a high racing series, but i think young talents should have the same chances to get there - By talent!

Also the media hype around him is not helping his development at all

Beckmann is great but too young, background/ reason here are his parents and education. (that's the hold up for him until he is 16 or 17)

Schumacher Jr on the other hand already in the right age for talent programs and to lift into bigger programs, and of course he was trained/ tutored by his dad. (regardless of this, it will show next few years how good he is...very simple, also in motorsports rise and/ or fall is very quick!)

He has a huge task of even remotely reaching his father's achievements. Hope to see more of him in feeder series's of F1

I loved Schumacher as a kid, so I really hope Mick can live up to his fathers name.

Sure, he hasn't had the best season, but it's tough to judge on who is really good until they make it to F1. Remember, Kobayashi had limited success in GP2 before making an impact in F1. Also remember that Premat and Green beat Hamilton in junior formula but now we all regard Hamilton as one of the best in the world.

We'll have to wait and see.

Also, who really gets into F1 because of talent nowadays ;) Money and family are pretty much the only way

That's stretching it, I know it sounds harsh considering the circumstances, but he's nowhere near a good enough driver for F1.
I can believe that the media would be blind enough to see this but would Ferrari and Merc be too? Cut throat teams that'll do anything to win blinded by the driver's name? Seems a bit of a reach.

I can believe that the media would be blind enough to see this but would Ferrari and Merc be too? Cut throat teams that'll do anything to win blinded by the driver's name? Seems a bit of a reach.
Well, Josh Hill made it further than most guys do, got out of carts and into Formula Ford or F3 before he finally packed in, and he was complete ****. Freddie Hunt is still racing, and he's totaly **** too. Not even a scratch of Micks ability but he still gets single seater drives based on his name, nothing more. Likewise, as much as I like Magnussen and Piquet Jr, the thing that got those guys to F1, wasn't money, it was their fathers name. They were good, good enough IMO. But it still shows that anyone without a famous name gets 2nd look most definitely

Mercedes will probably just be supporting him as it's like, supporting an old friend since Herr Schumacher is in a bad way at the moment, which is fine, I guess, but Ferrari are probably so rose tinted and think hes going to be better than everyone else on the grid and win another 8 titles, I mean, it's Ferrari, do they ever use logic over passion?.

I think it's much less about living up to the family name but more of making his own mark on the sport. I can only imagine how he feels to always be referred to as Schumacher's son. Also, I do disagree with a family name being a sole definition to one's talents. Look at Bruno Senna and Damon Hill. Anyways, let's see how he deals with the big boys as he moves up the ladder.

People always give out about nepotism, but then turn around and lump this kind of pressure on a young lad just because of his father's name. The problem for Mick is his name is already a brand name in motorsport. Even people who know next to nothing about motorsport will know that name and have an interest in his career.

If he loves racing then he's gotten the best start a race driver can get. If he's just doing it because of the pressure from all those around him, he's not going to have a pleasant career. His fathers name will always overshadow micks career. I don't see how he will be able to match or better Michaels career because times have changed, I don't think it's possible to have a run like Michael did anymore.

I think it's much less about living up to the family name but more of making his own mark on the sport. I can only imagine how he feels to always be referred to as Schumacher's son. Also, I do disagree with a family name being a sole definition to one's talents. Look at Bruno Senna and Damon Hill. Anyways, let's see how he deals with the big boys as he moves up the ladder.
Say, what you want, Damon was worthy. The only driver to lap an entire field by 2laps if I remember right, 1995 Australian GP to be exact.

Sad to see it's all about his name again.
He has talent, i like his character and driving style, but there are better drivers out there.
David Beckmann has beaten Mick Schumacher when karting and also in Formula 4.
He is even younger than Mick and missed out the first race of the Formula 4 cause he was too young.

I'd love to see Mick in a high racing series, but i think young talents should have the same chances to get there - By talent!

Also the media hype around him is not helping his development at all

I'm agree with you comment, but be honest...that of ''by TALENT'' ...not happens from 80's, maybe 90's

Everyone know how work lately this sport, MONEY, CONTACTS, FRIENDS etc etc

Yep, still be a dream see the BEST drivers in the BEST places...but

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 181 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 356 28.0%