Grand Prix 4 Formula One Career Season 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.
1999 Australian GP
YjZgTiX.png

Utzer on pole
New Williams driver Ben Utzer has taken the pole position for the first round of the '99 season. With a big gap in 2nd follows Pablo Diehl, ahead of Utzer's teammate Saidy. Last season runner up Engberink in 4th for his new team, followed by Martins and Kederer. The Prost team looks improved compared to last season, Wolf in 7th and Ancevski in 10th, with Foro in 8th and reigning champion Hunsley in 9th between them.

1999 Australian GP

6v2fJZg.png

73Q2tJa.png

Poirier wins season opener
Benetton driver Steven Poirier has taken his second career win, his first one since his home GP in 1992. Starting from 12th he quickly worked through the field, taking the lead a few laps after the halfway point, then only losing with for a few laps after his second stop.
At the start Utzer could keep 1st, while his teammate Saidy got up to second. The two had an intense battle for a couple of laps, until Saidy forced his way past in lap 7. Being on a 3 stop strategy he could quickly build a gap. At this point Martins at Kederer had already dropped out of the top 6, both spinning off after contacts while battling for positions, in different incidents though.
Within a few laps both Ancevski and Kederer retired, the former with electrical problems, the latter crashing out.
After everyone had stopped once, Saidy was back in the lead followed by Utzer, Foro, Diehl, Poirier and Wolf. Utzer then with a slight mistake which dropped him down to 5th. Around the same time Néron had to stop his BAR with an oil leak. Drama for Saidy in lap 33, running a bit wide in the final corner he lost control of the car and crashed into the wall.
Poirier inherited the lead, followed by Utzer and Wolf. After the last pitstops Utzer dropped out of the podium places due to another mistake, which promoted Wolf to 2nd and Foro to 3rd. With 2 laps to go Keranen secured the last point by passing Jimmy Laad.

FIA Press Conference
@Steven Poirier: Perfect way to start the season, but probably unexpected after only starting from 12th?
@oldwolf: After a dismal '98 season, this must pretty much be a perfect start for you with your new team?
@Benutzername: Rather unusual to see you making this many mistakes, what was the cause for that?

Market is open!

@@Steven Poirier: Perfect way to start the season, but probably unexpected after only starting from 12th?

Yeah, what a surprise to get a good result after get a mid performance during the qualif, also i wasnt the fastest driver on track but without mistake i get thru the win

• Deleted member 161052

5th fastest :D :thumbsup:
Double finish for us, not bad at all for me :)
+5 race skill

all on quali skill

Oldwolf had 15 quali skill and I had 110. Again stupid variation screwed me over :thumbsdown: (unless it was raining which I think it was)

I really ruined Jack's race. My driver is acting crazy in both FG and this. Who did install Maldonado AI for me?! :confused:

+45 qually skill.
Thanks.

Before you read.... WTF! My local kart championship started again today, it was the first race of the season, results:
Quali: me on Pole
Race: me on 4th
Coinincidence?!?!

1999 Australian GP

FIA Press Conference
@Benutzername: Rather unusual to see you making this many mistakes, what was the cause for that?​
That's easy: I am not perfect. If you drive on the edge, you do mistakes. It should not happen, but sometimes it does. But yeah... I am really satisfied anyway.
Rami and me worked together as a team and developed the car together. The Qualifying was near perfection and that helped to have a clean race. To see both of us some seconds in front of everyone else in the first laps was fantastic! We also learned to respect each other more on and offtrack, which led into an amazing and fair fight for the lead. It cant get better than that. Sadly Rami could not finish the GP and i dropped back due to an individual mistake, but Rami set the fastest lap and we both made a really strong impression i think. I am looking forward for the next races and am optimistic to score points again or even better. My sponsors liked the show, too, so i may have enough money to do some private testing to improve the car and my skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%