Gpu usage 20%-40% less using openvr mode with rift

Check out my thread here:

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/vr-performance-in-oculus-vs-ovr-modes.47367/

Update: Something big has changed in the oculus update yesterday and the one the day before, OR mode now has much improved performance, matching OVR mode.

I will include a guide here, in case you do not have a verified account at assettocorsa.net

This will lower your gpu usage 20-40% in openvr mode with the rift.
Under render settings, change to' Openvr early access' instead of 'Oculus Rift'. AC will start steamvr when you start race/rift mode.
Note I have a GTX1060, not overclocked.

Have run many tests, initally in practice at lake louise in the lotus 3-eleven. In Oculus Rift mode (OR), I get 5% headroom (using oculustool), in OpenVR mode (OVR), I get 60-65% headroom!

At nordschleife, with 12x opponents, 4xAA, 16xAF, reflections low, mirror normal, smoke normal, BrakelightVR PP, world detail Maximum, Shadows disabled, I get 90 fps constant. On a gtx1060. This nearly matches the options a user mentioned, when he was in OR mode, on his GTX1080! (my smoke settings higher, his with shadows on).
*update: tried the above with shadows on (low), still 90 fps after the first corner.
*update2: frame rates are inconsistent with shadows on... some runs I get 90fps, others I get 45 fps a lot... dropped to 9x cars and its all good. Might turn shadows back off.

Notes:

Sometimes it does not activate properly, and will get a really low frame rate (I've seen -95% headroom). In this case restart everything, or reboot.

Occasionally steamvr crashes, wont close, loses steamvr server

OVR mode doesnt seem to like high reflections combined with high AF on some tracks. It spikes up and down in frame rate. especially when you look down, which is weird.

Other users have got this working successfully also, some others have not. We do not know why at this time.

I do not use SSAA/supersampling, I find inbuilt 4xAA way way better at antialias.

All steamvr reprojection etc, is OFF.
Oculus Home must be left running.

The screen mirror seems to be a 'true' mirror. i.e, rendering at 1080*1200 then resized to 1920x1020.
Therefore the aspect ratio is wrong. This could be corrected if you process the video, but not sure about streaming.

Thanks to user detoit, for mentioning openvr mode on his vive, which make me think of trying it on the rift.

Cheers,
Divxmaster

Last edited:
Yes, with 'OpenVR' Oculus services also start every time, but it doesn’t matter, the performance right now gives me about 50fps more vs using 'Oculus Rift' in Content Manager.

Super sampling for me still works, its under 'video' in the SteamVR settings:
SteamVR-Supersampling.png

I used to have 1.5 with Oculus in Content Manager, now I use 2.0 with OpenVR in SteamVR settings.

Last edited:
@Hugo B I agree that something odd happened with Oculus recently. I posted here on RD about the amazing performance I was getting in VR prior to the recent updates. I'm on a 980Ti/6600k combo and until recently could hotlap in any car on any track at well above native 90fps (according to CM's fps monitor), sometimes 120+fps. ASW was a thing of the past for hot lapping and I couldn't have been happier. Now I'm only managing around 60fps with identical settings, so having to drive with ASW constantly taking over. It's incredibly frustrating. Mandatory updates REALLY piss me off, they've cause so much disruption to my sim racing over the years.

When I was trying OpenVR last night frame rates seemed greatly improved but, apart from the very first time I used it, the Oculus dashboard (with it's weird elevated control console above eye level - what the hell is that all about?) was superimposed over my view. Very odd. I couldn't be bothered to investigate further last night. A sense of weary resignation flows over me when stuff like this happens these days. I just want stuff to keep working, and not have problems forced on me without my consent.

@Mascot You can adjust the position of the Oculus dashboard by pointing at it with your right controller, squeeze the grip button, reposition, then release the grip button. You can also do this with any window in Oculus dashboard. Using the joystick while gripping a window you can also bring it closer, or move it away from you.

I don't understand how your Oculus dashboard is visible while racing? Can you click on Assetto Corsa that is running in the dashboard? Or on OpenVR or something? it should bring the game forward..

Otherwise try:
- start Oculus Home first
- put your headset on and let it load up completely
- start SteamVR (from the button top right in Steam)
- let it load up completely
- if you want you can disable SteamVR home, in SteamVR settings, go to 'General', deselect 'Use SteamVR Home' (maybe you need to restart SteamVR)
- when everything is running normally, start Assetto Corsa from Content Manager (using 'Rendering mode = OpenVR (early support) of course)

I do this everytime now and it has never failed to launch AC perfectly. I'm now again enjoying AC in full blown 90fps :)

@Hugo B Ah, first problem: I don't have any Oculus controllers. Never thought I'd need them for sim racing (which is all I use VR for, apart from Pinball FX) so I sold them over a year ago.

I don't really understand why I'm getting all these anomalies (or why Oculus performance has fallen off a cliff) but I'll try your suggestions. Thanks.

@Hugo B Ah, first problem: I don't have any Oculus controllers. Never thought I'd need them for sim racing (which is all I use VR for, apart from Pinball FX) so I sold them over a year ago.

I don't really understand why I'm getting all these anomalies (or why Oculus performance has fallen off a cliff) but I'll try your suggestions. Thanks.

ai.. without touch controller it's hard to do anything.. just hope that SteamVR is loading up correctly before you start Assetto Corsa and you should be good to go.

Probably... Facebook doesn't seem to display altruistic motives, I could even imagine them hampering the current Rift so people get annoyed and buy the Rift S... It has been done before..

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Probably... Facebook doesn't seem to display altruistic motives, I could even imagine them hampering the current Rift so people get annoyed and buy the Rift S... It has been done before..
It did cross my mind as well, backward supporting old school stations tracking will be a hassle.

@Mascot,
you could also try post #15 in this thread, that will see if an earlier version of the oculus software works or not. Presumably the stuff it needs to update itself has been removed, so it will stay on the old version for testing.
One of the guys I race with weekly had some of the same problems, oculus dash showing through AC. But only on the second time+ you ran it. Dont know how he fixed it.

@HugoB/All, what I mean by supersampling disabled in OVR mode, is the supersampling you set in CM doesnt get used. Its always 1.0. So when comparing OR fps to OVR fps, make sure you take this into account.
Cheers,
Divxmaster

• Deleted member 197115

In AC SS setting is for Oculus mode only. If using OpenVR, use SteamVR SS.
Keep in mind it's about power of two of Oculus. 1.5 Oculus is ~ 2.25 Steam

Found a solution, kind of. It seems that with the latest Oculus update, the application philosophy of ASW has changed, it is now triggering aggressively, even if the fps drops from 90 to 89 and it takes a while for it to recover to 90fps after that. This means that if you turn a corner and a new scenery is loaded/rendered, you might have dipped from 90fps to 89fps before the update, this was hardly noticeable, but now with the new philosophy it immediately dives down to 45fps and it takes a second to recover back to 90fps. This is very visible on the first part of Nordschleife. A solution for now it to install Oculus Tray Tool and disable ASW. Now you will get a solid 90fps again like it used to be, with maybe occasional 89 ;) which still looks fine (unless you are specifically looking for it).

Still, when I use OpenVR, it stays rock solid 90fps and not a single frame is lost, my Nordschleife is completely smooth from start to finish. This is at SS 2.0 in SteamVR. I used to have SS 1.5 in Content Manager for Oculus. This should be around 2.25 in SteamVR, you are correct @Andrew_WOT

I have also found that SS 2.0 in SteamVR is the sweet spot, it runs the smoothest. Below or above it is less smooth.

Turning off ASW in Oculus Tray Tool is a solution for now, but of course it’s strange that things changed like that at Oculus. Without ASW you might need to tune your video settings to keep a rough 90fps in every situation, or accept some stutters at race start with a full grid and smoke.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Yes, it's broken at the moment, I have submitted ticket with WMR, they said they are "looking".
Add your angry vote here if you haven't yet.

For now the best solution is just disable it altogether. Hope they'll find the cause as it used to work quite well.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 198 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 196 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%