GPU upgrade = new love for RRE in VR

So I upgraded from rx480 (no slouch) to a 1080TI. My timing was purely accidental as I was oblivious to GPU shortage. I scored one from B&H Photo for $769 a few weeks ago(sold out in 24 hours and price is now over 1k). I put my OC RX480 8Gb on ebay and it sold for $500 (I paid $230 a year ago). This is still mind boggling. But anyways back to the title topic.

Raceroom was my fav 2d sim. The experience was a bit rough with my rx480 in VR, especially when compared to iRacing (easiest to setup ever!) for my particular setup. Then I bought PC2 and was having a blast (I LOVE ALL THE RACING SIMS and how fortunate we are to have so many choices with their unique track offerings!) but then realized I was spending more time faffing about trying to make all that eye candy work and look right than racing. I booted up RRE and so tired with faffing about I selected auto graphics, loaded up 20 cars and hit the track and man I forgot how much I enjoy this sim. Is it 45fps/90fps? I could never tell as I don't suffer from any motion sickness ever (I think decades of being drunk built up my tolerance hahaha). I avoid bashing the other sims as much as I can and focus more on how to get it to work for my setup. So now I think its finally time to stop nickel and diming, save some money in the long run and just buy the whole damn package.

This VR thing is the shizzle!!!

Not sure why you think Raceroom only uses 1 core, it seems to have no problems using all 4 of my cores on my i5 2500k. And with 970 as well, I pretty much never drop under 60 fps (wouldn't stand it), and that's with better graphics options forced via nVidia Inspector.

Or is that a VR specific thing?

Not sure why you think Raceroom only uses 1 core, it seems to have no problems using all 4 of my cores on my i5 2500k. And with 970 as well, I pretty much never drop under 60 fps (wouldn't stand it), and that's with better graphics options forced via nVidia Inspector.

Or is that a VR specific thing?
I can't speak of the cores because I've never bothered checking, but the FPS is a VR thing. Ideal is 90 but if you can't reach that then it gets cut to 45 instead.

Yeah, I've realized after posting it FPS is obviously affected by VR.
Most VR games I've played are very well optimised and run 90 FPS ok, but R3E with it's unsupported DX9 can struggle to hit that mark quite a bit. It's the ASW or reprojection (depending on headset) that cuts the FPS. To be honest, I barely notice it at all and it doesn't bother me, but I know that lower FPS can contribute to motion sickness quite heavily for those that are susceptible to it.

I was at work when I was typing my response and rushed it.
Raceroom uses 1 core for the physics combined with dx9 vr on a old cpu will most likely max out the core and result in poor fps.
Ex. PC2 uses 4 cores, 1 for each tire spreading out the physics.

There's been several threads across the web saying that some games RRE included benefit from disabling HyperThreading which I thought Mike was reffering to but when I went back he said multi threading which I am not sure how you change or if he ment HT

Anyways an i5 2500k does not have hyperThreading only the i7....the architecture is there from the 2400 but it is not enabled. Some bios may or may not have the option greyed out.

As you can see in the link below under advanced technologies

https://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

Last edited:
Are you using a vr headset?
The game only needs a dual core as the min spec to operate all your other processes, OS etc will be spread across all your available cores....vr takes up alot of memory and performance
System requirements
Minimum:
Processor: Dual core at 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor or AMD equivalent
Memory: 4 GB

@Kurupt CDN No, I'm not using VR. But what would be the point of the game running on all four cores without VR and on only one core with VR? That doesn't make sense to me. I could see it working the other way around, I guess.

And I don't understand what your point about the minimum requirements being a dual core CPU is. That doesn't tell you much about how many cores the game can actually use when available, if that's what you're trying to say.

When I was part of the beta testing team I asked the devs after project cars was released if the steam launch option -pthreads4 could be added to the title to utilize more cores.
The response was the game doesn't utilize 4 cores for the physics.
So I assumed by the min specs of a dual core being the min spec to run the game that was the reason but i must be wrong?

The general consenses among vr users is single thread performance is key for optimal performance in this title....a i5 2500k or anything less than the i7 47xx is not optimal but duable.

My original response was in regards to 2stains question if Mike who uses a 2500k suggestion actual worked so I assumed he had a similar setup + vr.
I googled disabling multithreading and nothing came up except hyperthreading....so atm until mike posts something I can only assume he meant hyperthreading.

I'am no computer tech guy so I guess there's only one way to solve this discussion :)

@J-F Chardon how many cores does the game/physics utilize?

My original response was in regards to 2stains question if Mike who uses a 2500k suggestion actual worked so I assumed he had a similar setup + vr.
I googled disabling multithreading and nothing came up except hyperthreading....so atm until mike posts something I can only assume he meant hyperthreading.

What it sounds like he meant is that since RR doesnt use all of your available cpu cores, you can go into the BIOS and disable certain cores. So, if you have a 4 core cpu, you can disable 2 of the cores for instance. That's likely what he meant by 'multi-threading'.

I read on a forum that you are better turning off multi threading for your cpu while playing r3e, and set the game to only utilise 1 core.

See here.

I wouldnt advise anyone to do this though, since disabling your cpu cores would mean your system would suffer greatly if you do literally anything else on your pc.

RR is hindered far more by being DX9 and not cooperating well with Pascal gpus than it does by not being multi-threaded.

AMS by Reiza is still not multi-threaded either as far as I know, but for some reason, that game performs much better resource wise.

I have a 7700k @4.9 and 1080Ti and have to have unacceptably low settings to get anywhere near a solid 90 fps in VR and have chosen to lock it to 45 and full time ASW !
But i would sooo much prefer to have 90 like i can in AC , pC2 and rF2 even at quite high settings !

AMS by Reiza is still not multi-threaded either as far as I know, but for some reason, that game performs much better resource wise.
AMS doesn't have VR but at 4k it performs just as well as R3E ! I can Max out both and have a a constant 60fps but VR in R3E is the only issue i have as i haven't touched AMS since getting my Rift !

AMS doesn't have VR but at 4k it performs just as well as R3E ! I can Max out both and have a a constant 60fps but VR in R3E is the only issue i have as i haven't touched AMS since getting my Rift !
4K and VR are not the same thing. How about you compare like for like both at 4K and then compare? Even then R3E still looks better with max settings so it’s not exact.

VR has significantly higher CPU requirements which is where the issues crop up with DX9/single-threaded limited games.

4K and VR are not the same thing. How about you compare like for like both at 4K and then compare? Even then R3E still looks better with max settings so it’s not exact.

VR has significantly higher CPU requirements which is where the issues crop up with DX9/single-threaded limited games.
Umm , that's what the first line of my post says ! " At 4k it performs just as well as R3E" ! Thats a 4k comparison !
I exclusively played AMS and R3E at 4k before getting my Rift and even now would consider AMS to be the better Sim physics wise and graphically even with time of day transitions and tyre deformation and flat spotting ! The ONLY reason I don't play AMS anymore is because VR is just so darn good !
I know all about the load VR puts on my system hence rig upgrades to 7700k at 4.9 GHz and 1080Ti with fast 3200MHz RAM !

Umm , that's what the first line of my post says ! " At 4k it performs just as well as R3E" ! Thats a 4k comparison !
I exclusively played AMS and R3E at 4k before getting my Rift and even now would consider AMS to be the better Sim physics wise and graphically even with time of day transitions and tyre deformation and flat spotting ! The ONLY reason I don't play AMS anymore is because VR is just so darn good !
I know all about the load VR puts on my system hence rig upgrades to 7700k at 4.9 GHz and 1080Ti with fast 3200MHz RAM !
My bad, that’s what I get for reading things first thing in the morning!

I just play flatscreen games in Bigscreen Beta on an iMax sized curved screen, obviously not as good as the real thing but does a surprisingly good job of world scale and like you are in the car.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back