GPU and monitor combo

I am in the market for a new GPU and eventually triple monitors that will match up with said GPU. I presently run an NVidia GTX760. It does a nice job with most of the racing sims I run. iRacing, GSCX and R3E run nicely. However, I want to run everything as close to maxed out on triples as often as possible. pCars is a bit more demanding but still runs well on single screen. Any recommendations or links to reliable sources of information would be much appreciated. Right now I am considering the NVidia GTX 960. What are some of your thoughts.

I am also considering pricing out reasonably priced monitors. Bigger is better.

Also, I only simrace. No other "games". No FPS, no MMOs...nothing. Just simracing....and some basic video editing.

Last edited:
Problem is that most racing sims don't properly support crossfire or SLI so basically its hit or miss on dual GPU's so if you want the absolute best performance 100% of the time, its going to be the fastest single GPU available which is the GTX 980. Running triples is a LOT of pixels, so at that resolution you need a very fast GPU, sorry to say if you want to run close to maxed out details at that resolution, you need the fastest GPU available which again, is the GTX 980.

Monitor advice is about as varied as anyone that has an opinion so I can't really suggest anything there because everyone has their own opinion. GPU selection is much more clearly defined.

Upvote 0
hi all,
sorry for the noob question... I would upgrade the gpu: from a r9 270 (2 gb) to a gtx 970.

Will i have a real improvement on sim-game like Assetto Corsa, Project Cars and R3E?
I run on a single monitor at 1080p and my specs are: amd Fx 8300 8x3,3/ turbo 3,7 - 8 gb ram

thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Thanks @Blkout. I was only ever considering a single GPU. Since posting this I was leaning heavily towards the GTX970, despite the 3.5 GB issue. The price seemed right and since I don't plan on running any games that would push the card to it's limits, I thought it was a good idea.

Upvote 0
Also, I only simrace. No other "games". No FPS, no MMOs...nothing. Just simracing....and some basic video editing.

Exactly the same here:) well almost, as I occasionally "fly" with the flight simulator x

Have you considered Oculus rift? Ofcourse the consumer version isn't here yet but I am trying to survive with my single screen setup and move on to OR when it's released.
I think virtual reality would be the best way to experience driving games/sims

Upvote 0
Not interested in VR. I know there are a lot of people eagerly awaiting it's arrival but I am not interested in the least. The idea of having my eyes covered and being oblivious to the rest of the world, even if only for a little while, is really unattractive.

Does anyone have any response to hooking up 39" tv's to a GTX980? I know tv's are not ideal but I've already got them hooked to my GTX760 and I don't wanna spend any more money on monitors/tv's. Or should I scrap the tv's, get a better single monitor and look into track IR?

Ugh, so much to think about...

Upvote 0
As I stated originally, when you go triples, you're going to want the fastest single GPU you can find and honestly, a 970 is going to be lacking at that resolution if you want to run near max graphics settings on some of the more demanding games. If however you decide you want to stay with a single display, a 970 is a more affordable option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now, to figure out which GTX980.

Seeing that we are still in the 1st quarter of 2015. Is it possible that there are some newer GPUs on the verge of being released? I know the 980 isn't that old but..well...you know how technology is, right?

Upvote 0
The AMD 390x is about to be released in the next 2-3 months as rumors suggest but I have my doubt if its going to be any faster than the GTX 980 and it will most certainly run hotter and consume more power. There are faster options than the 980 coming from Nvidia, the Titan X was just announced but I expect it to be very expensive.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/03/04/smaug/

Upvote 0
Now, to figure out which GTX980.

Seeing that we are still in the 1st quarter of 2015. Is it possible that there are some newer GPUs on the verge of being released? I know the 980 isn't that old but..well...you know how technology is, right?

The 700 series lasted a mere 15 months before the 900 series were on sale so I would say prices for the 980 would still be up there.

As for which 980, I only have good things to say about EVGA so that would be my recommendation (if you have the cash).

Upvote 0
The 700 series lasted a mere 15 months before the 900 series were on sale so I would say prices for the 980 would still be up there.

As for which 980, I only have good things to say about EVGA so that would be my recommendation (if you have the cash).

I will second the EVGA recommendation. I've never had a bad EVGA card and I've had many of them. I currently have three EVGA GTX 980s. I would also recommend MSI Gaming series cards.

Upvote 0
Two different PC's though. I have two of them in one PC in SLI on a 30" monitor because 2560x1600 resolution is so demanding. The other 980 is in another PC in my living room which is connected to a 67" TV so 1920x1080 resolution only requires one.

I'm sorry.....67"? You don't mess about do you! A movie fan no doubt!

Upvote 0
I'm sorry.....67"? You don't mess about do you! A movie fan no doubt!

Hah, you hit the nail on the head man. I have over 1800 movies at home. I've been collecting movies for about the last 15+ years. However, since my son was born 4 years ago, my TV stays on Scooby Doo and Mickey Mouse when he's home. I hope to get my TV back one day. :D

Upvote 0
This is my new GPU:

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Super Clocked ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5

CUDA Cores: 1664Bus Type: PCI-E 3.0Memory Detail: 4096MB GDDR5
  • Memory Bit Width: 256
  • BitMemory Speed: 0.28nsMemory Bandwidth: 224.3 GB/s
  • NVIDIA Dynamic Super ResolutionTechnology
  • NVIDIA MFAA Technology
  • NVIDA GameWorks Technology
  • NVIDIA GameStream Technology
  • NVIDIA G-SYNC ReadyMicrosoft DirectX 12
  • NVIDIA GPU Boost 2.0
  • NVIDIA Adaptive Vertical Sync
  • NVIDIA Surround TechnologyNVIDIA SLI Ready
  • NVIDIA CUDA TechnologyOpenGL 4.4 Support
  • OpenCL SupportHDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.2 and Dual-link DVIPCI Express 3.0
  • EVGA ACX 2.0 CoolingDouble BIOS Ready1.215v+ Voltage Boost
I just couldn't spring the $$ for the 980. This should serve me well. For now.....

Upvote 0
Well, put the card in yesterday and everything is running nice and smooth. I just need some tips on what settings to run in pCars. I am trying to get the grapchics to look as good as possible without dropping below 50-60 FPS. Right now I am easily maintaining that FPS on most tracks with 10 to 12 AI. Anyone have a similar setup that can share their PCARS settings?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 315 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing