One has to wonder if a 15 year (or there abouts) is the best platform to put all this effort in. The physics engine is outdated, the graphics are horribly outdated, so only the immersion stays.

That same immersion can be modded into more recent games with better physics and graphics.

After driving GTR, GTL, GTR2, PC, PC2, AC, RRRE, AMS and RF2 and many others, i must say, your wrong. With all this games you can have a ride on the Nordschleife, but only in GPL it's the "Green Hell". This track is far to easy to handle in every other game, in GPL it STILL fears me, even after literally spoken thousends of laps. And i can still tell you the day and the time when i was driving GPL for the very first time on my friends pc, in a screaming 312 Ferrari. It was love at first sight.
Your comment seems disrespectful and gives the impression that the work on this game would have been in vain. But they did it for everybody who love GPL as they do. Not for the best grafics or the best physics. They did it for the love of their lives and to keep the love alive for the next ten years.

Many thanks for this article RD, and many thanks for all the hard work to the modders. Looking forward!

One has to wonder if a 15 year (or there abouts) is the best platform to put all this effort in. .

If not you would not have Targa Florio :rolleyes: or Isle of Man not to mention countless others they still convert into latest sims :O_o:

Do yourself a favour drive the revised Spa '67 and see how much more correct it is then all these new sims
Kemmel kink looks real ........... in all others even rF2 it's flat out :cautious:

btw on new sims............... pCars used GPL Spa and Rouen maps ...if every elevation and camber is not the same show me where ! ?? and we all know the original tracks in GPL are not historically correct
yet every single sim since uses there map ...oh dear :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for this great article, as well as Stefan's movie and the hard work from modding team!

GPL has stood the test of time, as well as from millions of sim racers. There is no wonder for a sim that is still alive after 20 years. And I have seen modern sim devs still make tribute to GPL here and there in various form.

GPL's many game design aspects still quite unbeatable comparing to a lot of modern sims, not just overall immersion (you do have to try it to really find out, there is always something new you could discover in this sim). Some of the recent years' track mods are in top quality, and good artist can make old graphic engine shine (notably SPA67, TARGA, Road America 71, Monza 10k). While the physics engine is 20 years ago, the handling and feedback is still one of the best to enjoy.:laugh:

This track is far to easy to handle in every other game, in GPL it STILL fears me, even after literally spoken thousends of laps.
That probably has to do with the track being more REALISTIC in more modern sims, and realism is the entire point of a simulator, is it not? There's a 1967-era mod for the Nurburgring for rF1 (that can be ported to AMS) which, honestly, would be nice to have in other sims although we do have 60s Spa and Monza in rF2, PC2, and AC.

NR2k3, for example, is still highly praised and is the best offline oval racing sim (mostly because there are no other good options,) but you'd have to be delusional to believe that it still has the best/most realistic driving whether on ovals or road courses compared to iRacing, rF2, or even the mods for AMS.

Same thing with GPL. I understand that nostalgia is a large factor for many people, but you can't honestly believe that's the best platform for these cars given the options we have now, can you?

Last edited:
Pawgy. You're an inspiration. I was just the other day thinking that, at 44, I hope I am still playing sims into my 90's. I started on Indycar Racing II in 1995 and GPL was transformative for the genre, and to this day, I spend time on every new piece of equipment getting it to run GPL, even as it gets less on-track attention (these "modern" sims are just so dang good!).

And Pawgy . . . your name shall be used and exploited from time to time when I'm justifying my "toys" to my eye-rolling wife.
I`m 70. Have a motion platform race rig, buttkickers Oculus rift, T500rs and 5.1 surround built into second bedroom. I built my own computer to my specs for this andI use it a lot and at least the missus knows where I am. Age is a number nothing more.

GPL Modding is not too bad providing the team behind the mod is good, and the team behind this mod is very good! ...
EDIT: Nevermind, just saw that Stefan replied, he knows a lot more about GPL than I do haha!
Thank you anyway FJ
When I reinstall GPL and this new "Extra" mod I will use your more casual guidance :) if Im in doubt about something.
And yes I have never installed a GPL mod before - so lets see how it goes:)

The full Isle Of Man Mountain Course by Jim Pearson has been released on June 06, 2019
Grand Prix Legends Track Database (GPLTD):
http://gpltd.bcsims.com/?sbtd=AAIOM

Jim Pearson`s website: www.jrpearson.homestead.com
Screenshots:
AAIOM.jpg

A Grand Prix Legends (GPL) Easy Installation Guide
and important GPL links you can find here:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/grand-prix-legends.5200/page-3#post-374799

Last edited:
Grand Prix Legends... an all-time classic racing simulation. Now complete with a brand new and heavily refreshed community created demo version for 2020!

Yes, the sim racing community have been pulling out all the stops over the last two decades to build upon and improve the original Grand Prix Legends racing simulation, a title that was released all the way back in 1998 remember, and as we hit a brand new decade we've got a fresh demo version of the game that includes the very best of what the community have to offer - the GPL 2020 demo is here!

Available to download from GPL World HERE, the 2020 demo of one of the most revered games in sim racing contains a collection of the finest post-release content for the simulation - including all the patches, updates, fixes, improvements, enhancements and developments the sim racing community have brought to the software over the past 22 years. 22 years of passion folks! TWENTY TWO YEARS!

Ten cars are included within the demo installer, offering players a nice mix of different historic machinery to best sample how GPL has changed and improved over the last couple of decades. Formula One to sportscar racing, GPL truly has become the ultimate homage to motorsport of yesteryear.

To mark the release of the 2020 GPL demo, and give you an idea regarding what's included, check out this short trailer release below:

The 2020 demo for GPL contains a range of different historic racing machinery from different eras and categories of historic motorsport. The ten cars included within the installer span almost twenty years of racing from the world of Formula One, Can-Am and Sportscar racing, with some of the most icon, and wild, racing machinery of their eras.

gpl2020demo_Monza 10k_10.jpg
gpl2020demo_Sebring 1967_06.jpg

GPL 2020 Demo | Cars
  • 1955 F1 Mod: Mercedes W196
  • 1965 F1 Mod: Lotus 33/Coventry Climax
  • 1966 F1 Mod: Repco Brabham BT19
  • 1966 Can-Am Mod: Lola T70 Mk2/Chevrolet 358.0 cu in/5.882L
  • 1967 F1 Mod: Repco Brabham BT24
  • 1967 F1 Mod: Lotus 49/Ford Cosworth
  • 1967 F2 Mod: Matra MS5/Ford Cosworth
  • 1967 Sports Cars Mod: Ferrari 330 P4
  • 1969 F1 Mod: Matra MS80/Ford Cosworth
  • 1971 Can-Am Mod: McLaren M8F/Chevrolet 494.9 cu in/8.110L

gpl2020demo_Road America 1971_05.jpg
gpl2020demo_Road America 1971_09.jpg

The mod also contains four hand picked circuits that compliment the vehicles within the install. As with the cars, the tracks are community created, and contain both period specific configurations and signage, really showcasing how far removed modern motorsport is from the early years of car racing in the 1960's and 70's.

GPL 2020 Demo | Tracks
  • Monza 10k
  • Road America 1971
  • Sebring International Raceway 1967
  • Zandvoort 1967
gpl2020demo_Road America 1971_01.jpg
gpl2020demo_Zandvoort 1967_03.jpg

gpl2020demo_Sebring 1967_08.jpg

As mentioned at the beginning of the article, the install also contains an absolute abundance of additional patches, improvements and enhancements that have been created by the community over the past 22 years, from high quality graphics updates to force feedback improvements, the list of changes are far too numerous to include here... if you want to find out exactly what is included in the new release, you can review the full launch notes on the download link at the top of this article.

To say I'm impressed by how community engagement and support have continued to develop and improve this game would be an understatement. 22 years after initial release, Grand Prix Legends continues to improve and remain a relevant and impressive racing simulation - long after any period rivals have fallen by the roadside.

Sim racing really is awesome.

GPL 2020 Demo is available now, exclusively for PC.

If you want to ask questions about GPL, or discuss the demo with your fellow community members, head over to the Other Racing Games sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start a thread today.

gpl2020demo_Zandvoort 1967_01.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 91 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 65 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.3%