rF2 GP2 Series 2010 @ Melbourne 2010 - Sun November 14th 2010

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Well I was lucky to pass through some incidents last night (seemed quite a few) but I didn't personally suffer from any wreckless driving and hopefully I wasn't doing any myself.

Joined during what I thought was practice having installed the track. I'd done some praccy offline, but hadn't thought to check what version of the track we were using. I'd been using the GP4 conversion which is a bit tighter in places and my braking points where totally different!! So poodled around getting to grips with the track and session came to an end. Then I realised it had been qually and I'd only gone about 17th quickest I think:bad:.

Race 1: Decent start. Made a mistake on my own when running in 8th. Stayed about 10-12 seconds behind Adam and towards the later half of the race we both advanced as others had off's etc and came home a very satisfying 4th:good:.

Race 2: Qual in 6th. Poor start lost 2 places, but down between turns 4&5 there was chaos ahead. Through the smoke I emerged only suffering minor contact which didn't cause any damage!!! Couple of others had off's again promoting me to 2nd place with a healthy gap. Felt confident my pace would be sufficient, but a silly mistake on a curb cost me my front wing and then travelling back to the pits I completely missed a braking point and severly damaged my ca:bad:. Should've done so much better, but I enjoyed myself regardless.

Thank you Lee and RD. Sorry to see so many people unhappy with some of the driving, but I hope I was not one of the offenders as I try to be careful:).

Think I'll make myself scarce after getting one of Lee's messages. That and being unable to understand how some players are able to be so fast.

Some guys are just fast (Ferry).

The message was just a warning about chat, it is really annoying for people still racing so I wan't to cut it out be that in race chat or the people chatting too soon at the end of the race. Feel free to sign up again though :).

Some guys are just fast (Ferry).

The message was just a warning about chat, it is really annoying for people still racing so I want to cut it out be that in race chat or the people chatting too soon at the end of the race. Feel free to sign up again though :).

Maybe if it's Portimao on Sunday.. otherwise it might be best if I drop off your radar for a while. Yes I said one line (perhaps 2) but it stung to get singled out.

Just being fast, doesn't quite cut it for an answer, still doesn't help anybody that is HRT-like off the pace. It's so goddamned frustrating when you're trying everything and still are nearly 3 seconds off the lead.

Some guys are aliens Jitesh, I have been on the practice server with Ferry it was Barcelona GP2 a few weeks ago, I was on for about an hour and I was faster than Ferry, I came back for the official practice and Ferry had improved and was nearly 2 seconds faster than me now, just as I thought he would be because he puts in the practice and works on a setup and is a very good driver, there is nothing untoward going on mate.

@ Jitesh, i totaly understand what you mean. maybe it sounds strange that i understand how it is to be that slow. But when i tell you i have raced against Roy Kolbe, Bruno Marques and David Greco in FSR WC. its all about the right feeling in the mod. nowadays i also drive in FSR and just in WT and i cant get the right feeling with the FSR Mod and iam almost always on the back of the grid. The GP2 mod i love to drive in. i have to say i did enough laps to get a decent setup. and i think there is already 1 sec to find in. but not more then that. the rest, its realy in driving style. Just look at replays how i do a lap and how you do it your self then you wilol understand where the difference is.

Dont get me wrong iam not faster then anybody in here but at this moment i have found the right feeling in the car.

Think I'll make myself scarce after getting one of Lee's messages. That and being unable to understand how some players are able to be so fast.

I agree on both points. I've only raced a few times and see plenty of chats going on. I don't understand the issue with the chat, or why anyone cares. No biggie for me, but apparently others get distracted, so no more chat, fine.

What's more upsetting is that most other drivers are unbeliveably faster than I am.

I spend a fair amount of time learning the track, setting up the car, practicing etc., so it's not lack of trying. I don't need to be the fastest, I just want to have a chance to compete with someone other than those who can't stay on the track!

I am convinced it is a function of wheel vs. GamePad or KYBD. I watch the faster cars and they are twitching all over the tarmac like they are using a KYBD. They are all over the track, brake at the 50m mark, and running 10-s/lap faster. Meanwhile, I have to brake at 100m and if I attempt to brake any later, I'm in the gravel. I even learned to use my left foot to eliminate delay moving from throttle to brake, but it's not enough, not nearly enough! Others can go from 180 mph to 30 mph in 50 m, which to me, is just not realistic.

My huge disappointment with on-line racing is not the bad drivers, of which I must be counted among, but the fact that on-line racing seems to be more about your game setup. I like my G25 set-up but it seems that if you want to compete, use a GamePad!

If I'm going to be 10 sec slower in every race, why should I bother anymore?

There are always people that are faster then you. Ferry is thinking probably the same when he trains for the FSR and sees the laptime of Huis or Marques. But with a large community like this you always find someone else on the track that has similar pace then you. Most off the time i enjoy the battles more then to get that 0.100 extra of my Q time. :)

Gamepad is by far not the fastest. Otherwise everybody would use it. And i only know some people that use it and thats because they cant afford a wheel or anything. :)

Thanks Martin.

I'm glad to hear an acknowledgement that using a wheel is part of the slow factor.

My best lap on that track in the GP2 Mod was 1:34.5 running on fumes. I think I was running 1:36's during the race. Leaders were about 1:31, I think.

So, since I am a working adult that can put in a few of hours a month to play a sim racing game, I should forget about racing with peolpe who can practice, practice, practice to surf with the aliens!

Ivan

@ Jitesh, i totaly understand what you mean. maybe it sounds strange that i understand how it is to be that slow. But when i tell you i have raced against Roy Kolbe, Bruno Marques and David Greco in FSR WC. its all about the right feeling in the mod. nowadays i also drive in FSR and just in WT and i cant get the right feeling with the FSR Mod and iam almost always on the back of the grid. The GP2 mod i love to drive in. i have to say i did enough laps to get a decent setup. and i think there is already 1 sec to find in. but not more then that. the rest, its realy in driving style. Just look at replays how i do a lap and how you do it your self then you wilol understand where the difference is.

Dont get me wrong iam not faster then anybody in here but at this moment i have found the right feeling in the car.

The difference for me is in the braking points. You brake 50 m later than I do and still manage to get through the corner. If I brake that late, I am in the gravel. There is something grossly different in the gameplay, that I just don't understand.

Thanks Martin.

I'm glad to hear an acknowledgement that using a wheel is part of the slow factor.

My best lap on that track in the GP2 Mod was 1:34.5 running on fumes. I think I was running 1:36's during the race. Leaders were about 1:31, I think.

So, since I am a working adult that can put in a few of hours a month to play a sim racing game, I should forget about racing with peolpe who can practice, practice, practice to surf with the aliens!

Ivan

Fastest race lap was a 33.0 in R1 by Ferry. Wheels are always the way to go. http://www.racedepartment.com/standings/home/38-drivers/782-single-event.html?eventid=2338 If you look here, Adam Eggbeer in 3rd, His fastest time was 'only' a 35, thats 2 secs slower than Ferry but he still got a podium through solid driving. RD offers competition for all classes of racers as Ivo said there will always be people faster. Ferry's point about 'getting' the mod is a good one, its all about knowing the car.

When I first joined RD, I was the regular backmarker, and it was a major achievement to not get lapped during a race. Racing online each week allowed me to get quicker as I got to practice more with the mod to reach the point of where I can be in the front half of the field regularly. I very rarely practice for club events offline now unless it is a new mod and I'm usually online between 1 and 2 hours before Official Practice to do all my setup work and practice.

I've used a gamepad for many years now (I've used a wheel on a couple of occasions, but never at RD) and it is not quicker than using a wheel I can assure you. You have much more control over the car with a wheel to allow you to get the correct amount of throttle out of corners, get the right degree of turn through a corner, etc. I think you will find that the majority of the top-ranked people here all use a wheel.

I think Ferry has hit the nail on the head here. Some people are suited to some mods better than others. I do much better with the Open-Wheelers than I do with Tourers, GT's, or FWD cars.

As for my evening, it was pretty good despite very little practice.

Quali 1: Was down in 9th but not too bad a time.

Race 1: Nearly jumped the start so was slow getting away and dropped to 11th by turn 1. I got bashed about a bit through turns 6-8 but things eventually settled and I was able to make positions as others dropped off the track. Eventually ended up 3rd.

Quali 2: A much better time but was only 5th.

Race 2: Made a poor start again and was trying to hold position but dropped to 6th. That soon became third afer 4 cars infront had a crash and I somehow managed to pick my way through it even though the track was blocked. Managed to get into 2nd but a small battle with Philip caused me to spin at turn 12 and drop back to 5th. Got going again and had a battle with Leandro, until we came together at turn 14. I was in doubt whether I caused the incident as I felt I kept it as close to the inside curb as I could, even running over it to avoid you (sorry if I was entirely to blame). I decided to slow and wait anyway but you didn't move so I decided to carry on and worked my way up into third again, which is where I stayed until the end.

Thanks to Lee, RD, and all those who raced :)

I'd just like to say to those complaining about wheels.... Majority of the time im only about .5 off of Ferry's pace and sometimes I can stick with him. I use a G27

Gamepad is by far not the fastest. Otherwise everybody would use it. And i only know some people that use it and thats because they cant afford a wheel or anything. :)
There is no debate here really - as a long-time gamepad user (one of the faster guys at RD, using a gamepad for 8 years in racing games), I switched to the wheel earlier this year and despite it being a struggle at first and frankly, not much racing/practice with it this year, I am still easily faster with the wheel and more consistent, especially in terms of tyre wear.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 252 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 168 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 124 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 229 13.8%