Got A Wheel...

I bought a new wheel this week. I didn't want to spend a lot so I bought the Logitech Formula Force Ex after reading a lot of good reviews about it. The Quality of the wheel while not in the same league as the G25 (which I might buy later) seems a good starting point.

My main question is that I am a lot slower than with my 360 pad, (Can't get within 1.5 secs of PB with pad) . Have other people found the transition from pad to wheel hard and did you eventually get that time back?

hex

• Andrew Evans

i would imagine anyone who makes the transition is slower initially, i know i was.... yer going from fingers and thumbs to hands and feet.... but once you recalibrate it's a whole new world of control and feel...

for me i went to the keyboard with all the driving aid to a wheel with lever at the back acting as gas and brake pedal, i was 2 second faster with it, then i got my logitech wingman formula force and it made me quicker so i'm guessing its all depend on the person, how much time it takes to adapt to the wheel.

• Ian Landry

Directional control is obviously much easier, but I think that to balance things out the game is much more forgiving on the way that you brake and apply the throttle with a gamepad than with pedals.

I know that, while I am still far from a fast driver, when I transitioned from the gamepad I was spinning all over the place with the RWD cars out of the corners...

• vmagics

I moved from a thrustmaster ps2/pc ferrari thing (with awful ff and a centering spring which could benefit zebedee) to a G25, and for a few weeks even that transition caused a huge increase in lap times. But it got better... MUCH better, so give it time. Almost any change will cause a temporary set back, for me even a new seat takes some getting used to, so something as big as changing controllers will obviously have an effect.

• Matt Crouch

it took me quite a while to match my times with the pad. If you haven't tried it already, try increasing the steering lock in the car setup a bit to see if it makes it easier.
You won't be able to increase it too much with the low rotation of the force ex because it will make it quite twichy, but I think everyone has their own preference in that regard.
It made the biggest difference to my lap times of anything :)

It's all a matter of habit and getting used to the device. Before I bought my lovely G25 i used to play all arcade racing games and must admit that i was mastering them while playing on keyboard/pad. When i pluged in the racing wheel to my computer i just couldn't race at all. my time laps where couple of seconds worse than before.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 77 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 55 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 37 6.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 91 14.7%