Gossip Column

Discussion in 'PS4 | F1 2018 Championship' started by Mikey Woolford, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford
    Playstation Lead Co-Ordinator Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,115
    Welcome, to the RDF1 Gossip Column, where we run down all of the maybe's, possibilities and could do-s that occur near the end of the season. This of course is all in jest, and if you would like to get involved, shoot me or Andrew a PM and we shall review and add as appropriate.

Tuesday 27th February:

Red Bull officials met late after today's Brazilian Grand Prix to discuss the future of its two drivers. Our insiders indicate that the majority of the meeting was spent evaluating whether, after a difficult season, it was worth extending Woolford's contract with the team or to let him go post Abu Dhabi. A secondary discussion led to whether McLennan will step up to the lead driver role or whether they will get another driver in.

Tom Glen was seen entering the FIA office after the race today after a very impressive 4th placed finish. We are unsure as to what the reasoning was after a positive result but rumours are that he is unhappy with the technical regulations that the FIA have put forward for next season.

Mercedes have gone through on a pre season promise that if a driver was to win the WDC that they would fund a team trip to New York City. A Mercedes representative was unable to confirm whether the planned trip to the moon would still go ahead if they could do a WDC and WCC double.

Haas F1 have declared themselves happy with the progress shown by their two drivers over the course of this season. But remain tight-lipped on whether they expected more reliability from their cars.

Wednesday 28th February: Submitted by Drew

Several news sources have leaked out information from the Sauber camp about their driver considerations for next season. After the podium celebrations were complete, Harry Green was spotted in street clothes walking in to the Sauber garage shaking his head. When asked by reporters why he was not on the grid he shrugged his shoulders, and with a clearly frustrated tone of voice simply said "The engines just wouldn't fire."

"We took the car out for a few laps of practice, but a full lap hadn't been completed before feeling like my entire bottom half was on fire. We've only been working on one car consistently over the last few races as we have had different pay drivers coming to the foreground to take out the 2nd car, but very dodgy results have come from it".

Gatis Sterste, a late arrival to the Interlagos circuit yesterday, surprisingly was seen in a Sauber driving suit. He pleaded with the team to let him take the car out for the race. The team initially said "no, the car will not make it", but sources claim he opened his checkbook and asked the team to name their price. Sterste started in last position and the car was destroyed after 4 corners.

"This really puts a huge wrench in to our plans for next season," Green continues "This season has not gone to plan, and I strongly believe that the Sauber organization has not allowed me to showcase my talent, and I have been speaking with teams up and down the pit lane to make sure I am in a car for next season that I can challenge for the championship. I am as motivated as ever."

Team Principal Frederic Vasseur was unavailable for comment. But rumor has it they are in talks with two pay drivers to pilot their cars next season. Stay tuned.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  2. TomAJ91

TomAJ91

Ratings:
    +33
    Im not a fan of rumors so I'll squash this straight away, I stormed off the FIA office to have a word with President Drew "Bernie" Wood.

Unfortunetly as a week day racer I simply do not have the time to practice since I started working in car sales, I have Mondays off and one weekend a month to dedicate to my illustrious racing career, and with the racing line ASSIST (yes I'm fully aware) I wont be anywhere in the field, which lets face it isnt fun.

Me having the line on doesn't actually really effect anyone in a negative way.

I enjoy doing this and as pathetic as it sounds its something I look forward to doing every week as a little get away from real life.

I will try my best and see how see how I do without the line, I never like to give up but if it's horrifically bad this will be my last season, which Im sure some of you will be happy to hear.

I enjoyed my time here and I do hope I can get up to pace without the line before lights out in Aus.

• Love Love x 1
  3. Mitchell Haverlag

Mitchell Haverlag

Ratings:
    +116
    We all have been in a place that we used a assist. The step seems bigger than it actually is. Ofcourse it takes a little bit time to get used to but you will get the hang of it sooner than later.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Beer Beer x 1
  4. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,465
    Wednesday 28th February:

Several news sources have leaked out information from the Sauber camp about their driver considerations for next season. After the podium celebrations were complete, Harry Green was spotted in street clothes walking in to the Sauber garage shaking his head. When asked by reporters why he was not on the grid he shrugged his shoulders, and with a clearly frustrated tone of voice simply said "The engines just wouldn't fire."

"We took the car out for a few laps of practice, but a full lap hadn't been completed before feeling like my entire bottom half was on fire. We've only been working on one car consistently over the last few races as we have had different pay drivers coming to the foreground to take out the 2nd car, but very dodgy results have come from it".

Gatis Sterste, a late arrival to the Interlagos circuit yesterday, surprisingly was seen in a Sauber driving suit. He pleaded with the team to let him take the car out for the race. The team initially said "no, the car will not make it", but sources claim he opened his checkbook and asked the team to name their price. Sterste started in last position and the car was destroyed after 4 corners.

"This really puts a huge wrench in to our plans for next season," Green continues "This season has not gone to plan, and I strongly believe that the Sauber organization has not allowed me to showcase my talent, and I have been speaking with teams up and down the pit lane to make sure I am in a car for next season that I can challenge for the championship. I am as motivated as ever."

Team Principal Frederic Vasseur was unavailable for comment. But rumor has it they are in talks with two pay drivers to pilot their cars next season. Stay tuned.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jamie-Lee Mayers

Jamie-Lee Mayers
    PS4 F1 Lead Commentator Premium

Ratings:
    +758
    Several of RDF1's higher brass were seen rushing around the production area of the paddock once the Brazilian Grand Prix had reached its conclusion last night after an announcement from Liberty Media puts RDF1's current broadcasting deal for Season 10 in jeopardy.

Liberty's current deal, which has been in place since the Monaco Grand Prix, saw the live coverage produced by TBR_Pirate with race highlights shown on sister YouTube channel ThePhenomF1, which has been a relative hit with fans of the league with the rather successful partnership of Jamie Mayers and Charlie Everard.

Despite the success, it was announced by Charlie during the American Grand Prix that he would be stepping away from the booth for Season 10 in favour of a seat behind the wheel. With Liberty Media now launching their own service before the season starts, this now raises the question of how RDF1 be presented to the fans in Season 10 and will Jamie Mayers be a feature in the coverage?

• Like Like x 4
  6. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +74
    Harry Green held a press conference last night to address rumours and conspiracies regarding his place in F1 after the following season. Media gathered to hear what the 2-time race winner had to say. When everyone was in place, Green made his announcement;

"Thank you all for attending. I've held this press conference to address the speculation on my future. Following lengthy discussion and consideration, I can confirm I will be remaining in F1 for Season 10 as a full time driver. However, Sauber and I have opted to part ways for the new season. I do not know who I will be driving for in Season 10, but I can confirm I am in dialogue with a number of teams. Any questions?"

Following the disappointment of his Sauber partnership, doubts surrounded Green's place in F1 after the conclusion of Season 9. These rumours were reinforced by his dejected attitude reported following the disastrous Brazilian Grand Prix, and the whispers around the paddock suggested Green may have been looking to the US for a potential IMSA or Indycar drive, but that seems to have fallen through now.

We'll have to wait and see how Season 10 pans out for the Brit, will this be the season he starts knocking on the door of a title fight?

• Like Like x 4
  7. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +112
    After his first win of the season journeyman Alex Gerasimenko has impressed Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost, who apparantly offered him a full time drive for next season, as he scored more points in one Race then the current driver line up managed in the whole season.

The two time championship runner-up is already a familiar sight in the Red Bull camp, as he collected his first runner up in a 15 race spell for Red Bull, but tensions between him and Christian Horner, who wanted to bring in Woolford made an end to this partnership. Having raced for Red Bull, Renault, Williams, Force India, Mercedes and Toro Rosso in only two and a half seasons the paddock asks itself if he is set to commit his future or continue his odyssee in Formula One

After the Brazilian GP Gerasimenko was asked by the media if he entered contract talks, he started laughing and said : " I am really enjoying life right now The last two seasons have been very hard, so taking a lighthearted approach certainly helped massively in regard to my mental state. Especially as i had a big struggle with the current breed of Formula One cars, my role as a stand in helped to understand how multiple teams work and the Experience from my former employers helped to to get the best possible results for Toro Rosso in Malaysia and Brazil. But i don't feel ready yet to commit for a full season, however there will be a time in the future where i will return to the grid and try to fullfil my dream of clinching a Formula One WDC"

With the silly season now starting every driver on the grid has to be worried that the services of a race winner will be avaiable and surely Gerasimenko will be instantly in the talks whenever a team struggles to perform.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jamie-Lee Mayers

Jamie-Lee Mayers

Ratings:
    +758
    Representatives from Porsche and Ferrari were spotted having discussions with RDF1 Lead Commentator Jamie Mayers late last night to potentially gain his services for a full time drive in next seasons iRacing Le Mans Series starting March 13th. Porsche would want him to drive their 919 LMP1 and Ferrari would want him to continue on their 488 GTE program (Which would include the Sebring 12 hour this coming Saturday). Whether or not terms between the parties were agreed is not yet known but what we DO know is if terms are agreed, then Mayers will almost certainly NOT be part of RDF1s new broadcast service for Season 10.

In other news, Red Bull Racings Mikey Woolford was arrested for running round the Yas Marina circuit naked whilst covered in Marmite in celebration of his victory earlier in the night. When interviewed, Christian Horner told us "I knew we shouldnt have flown Max and Daniel out here! Once they all get a drink down them, they turn into kids!" It turns out, the pair had gotten Mikey drunk then made a bet with him. Christian then chuckled and added "just a shame for Max that he didn't know Daniel had offered his (Maxs) sister as the reward!"

Max and his sister weren't available for comment.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Haha Haha x 7
    • Beer Beer x 1
  9. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +1,115
    You make me sound like such a whore!

10. Jamie-Lee Mayers

Jamie-Lee Mayers

Ratings:
    +758
    Cause you are!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Jamie-Lee Mayers

Jamie-Lee Mayers

Ratings:
    +758
    Sunday 18th March:

A lot has happened in the off season and now silly season has opened, its time to catch up.

MAYERS WINS SEBRING!

It was first announced here that Mayers would be taking part in the Sebring 12 hour race on March 10th for Ferrari. After a gruelling 12 hours where at least 3 other teams were in contention, through an ingenious strategy, Mayers and his two co drivers Cam Barie and Ben Perez managed to claw their way to the lead and crossed the line to take the victory of the GTE class.

SILLY SEASON BEGINS!

As of midnight of the 18th, the most important part of the season, to some, started as the 10 teams on the grid opened their doors to contract negotiations from the drivers for a season 10 drive. However, things haven't exactly started off well for a certain driver, newcomer Luke Cage stunned the top teams of Mercedes, Ferrari and Williams by announcing at the season 10 kickoff that he would do anything to NOT drive for them. We're unsure as to why he would make such a comment as they were the top 3 teams of the last season but unfortunately for him, it may be a case of "get what you're given" rather than an act of kindness from others. We imagine if he does end up with one of the three, the relationship between them and the driver would be arctic at best.

PREPARATIONS GOING WELL FOR WOOLFORD!

We managed to sit down and have a chat with Season 8 Champion Mikey Woolford at the Season 10 kickoff event. Mikey, who had just returned from an intense training camp with returning veteran Saif Mehmood, looked to be in the best shape hes ever been in an attempt to regain the championship he lost last season. He explained, after being dropped by Red Bull Racing for being arrested in Abu Dhabi for lewd behaviour, that he is on a charge to prove the doubters wrong that believe he doesn't have what it takes anymore. Will the King of Kings have what it takes to go back on his thrown in season 10?

DRIVER PAIRINGS ANNOUNCED!

As of writing this post, it was announced by Red Bull Racing that they have secured the services of reigning, defending, undisputed Season 9 champion Mitchell Haverlag AND his teammate Andrew Wood. This is a stunning development as this means the ENTIRE Mercedes team of last season has jumped ship. Mercedes who aren't a team to stand still, have announced the runner up to last season Sean van Belkom as their new lead driver. Their intention is to have Jerry Moorrees round out the pairing but there are many drivers that could spoil that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  12. Sean van Belkom

Sean van Belkom

Ratings:
    +77
    Nice post jamie:D

13. Luke Cage

Luke Cage

Ratings:
    +30
    I can't use the mirrors of those 3 cars lol

14. Sean van Belkom

Sean van Belkom

Ratings:
    +77
    Then drive in t cam:roflmao::D

15. Luke Cage

Luke Cage

Ratings:
    +30
    You kiss your Mother with that mouth?

• Haha Haha x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Sean van Belkom

Sean van Belkom

Ratings:
    +77
    Whaaaaat :roflmao:
    That answer tho
    Brilliant:roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SJM1337

SJM1337

Ratings:
    +149
    MEHMOOD RETURNS BUT FOR HOW LONG?
    Veteran driver Saif Mehmood announced that last week that he has signed up to make a full time return to the grid, the team he has signed for is yet to be announced but the big question everyone in the paddock is asking is how long will his return last?

Mehmood has made several stand-in apperances over the last two seasons but hasn't raced full time since his crash-fest season in 2016 where he failed to win a race.

Mikey Woolford, a former arch-rival who has gone wheel to wheel with Mehmood in title battles over the last decade wasn't very impressed with the news, he told reporters "before you know it he'll disappear again, he can't handle the pressure, he'll crash a few times and just give up again". Woolford didn't mince his words but many sense that underneath he'll relish having his old rival back on the grid again.

When questioned about how competitive he expects to be, Mehmood replied "honestly, I don't know right now, I know I can still battle my way through a race and make the key overtakes but whether my speed is still quick enough to match the youth and talent of the current grid is yet to be seen, I'll try my best that's for sure".

The veteran, whilst showing glimpses here and there of his old form, has generally disappointed and looked a shadow of himself in stand-in races over the past few seasons and hasn't won a race since 2013, he has finished runner-up twice since the inception of the championship, in 2012 and 2013 whilst he finished 3rd in his first ever season. Mehmood famously lost the championship in the final race in 2012, having won 7 races and leading the championship into the final race, he lead most of the race from pole position in the final round in Brazil, but he cracked under pressure in mixed conditions and dropped down to 4th with front wing damage, handing the title to Alistair Thomson.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  18. Luke Cage

Luke Cage

Ratings:
    +30
    ROOKIE RUNS RINGS AROUND.... WHO?

Haas F1.jpg

RaceDepartment Rookie, and Ferrari Academy driver, Luke Cage, has been seen lapping the Circuit de Catalunya this morning... having signed a last minute deal with Haas F1.

Catching up with him after his work was done, Cage had this to say...
    "Yeah for sure it's a relief to actually have a drive for the season. My management team and I were in talks with a few other teams, but they elected to go with other drivers... which is fine, I've nothing against them for that. However, when Haas approached me with an offer, signing on the dotted line was a no brainer".

Gunther Steiner, Team Principal of Haas F1, told us...
    "Signing Luke was good for all involved. He's a very sensible young man, knowing his limitations and where he expects to be in relation to the rest of the field... for the first bit of the season anyway.
    His attitude is great, as evidenced by his eagerness to get in the car as soon as possible in order to do his best for the team. That's all we ask for at this point."

So, where will Cage rank in the standings?
    Given the calibre of driver on the grid, and by his own admission, he won't be fighting for wins any time soon... but, he has the ability to finish in the points at a few of the tracks.
    If he stays out of trouble, and gets to grips with the Haas VF-17... which is notorious for having brake issues according to former Haas driver Romain Grosjean... Cage could very well finish in the Top 10 in the World Drivers Championship.

Time will tell... but it WILL be interesting to watch his progress throughout this 2018 season.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Jamie-Lee Mayers

Jamie-Lee Mayers

Ratings:
    +758
    BREAKING NEWS: TOM QUITS FERRARI!

It has been announced by Ferrari that one of their new drivers for season 10 Thomas Glen has sensationally quit the team and the sport after just one race with the team.

The driver had an abysmal showing at the Australian Grand Prix as he struggled to get to grips with the new technical regulations on driver aids, spinning off the track several times until eventually parking the car in the pits before disappearing into the back of the garage to cry.

Whilst some are linking his sudden quitting to the frustrations of not being able to drive the car properly without help, rumours circulating in Bahrain is that sometime after the race, Thomas walked back to his room to find one of his family members receiving the dangalang from teammate Mikey Woolford as she held up Mikeys 2nd place trophy and made sheep noises.

It is understood Abdoul Bance will be taking over the vacant seat at Ferrari for the remainder of the season. We at RDF1 wish Tom all the best in his future endeavours.

• Love Love x 7
  20. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +1,115
    Woolford looks forward to working with new team mate:

As detailed above, Tom has left his drive at Ferrari to be replaced by Abdoul. When queried about this, current Ferrari driver Woolford had the following to say.

“I’m sad to see Tom go, I felt we could have worked well over the season but upon hearing record of a radio message that stated he wasn’t enjoying driving the car anymore, I can’t say I am too surprised at the decision. Fortunately, this gives the team plenty of time to source a new driver and they have acted quickly to get abdoul into the car prior to Bahrain. I hope myself and him will get along just fine, he definitely had some strong showings last season and with the new atmosphere in Ferrari this season I’m looking forward to a season full of Bance.’’

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.