Google+ and YouTube links

The contact details links you can put in to have your Google+ and YouTube profiles linked under your avatar don't seem to work if it is a newer account. Now that Google+ is required for newer YouTube channels, you are no longer able to create "youtube.com/user/yourname" URLs. Same with the old Google+ vanity URLs. So anyone who created those accounts after the switch over can't take advantage of linking them under our avatars.

The new Google/Youtube URLs that you are given are just a series of numbers, letters, and symbols that you are randomly given after "/channel/" for YouTube or "plus.google.com/" for G+. Your contact field will not accept it because it doesn't fit the old URL format.

So, for example, my new YouTube channel was given the URL: "www.youtube.com/channel/UC93-_VBbf_yfg5nEkhepv-g". YouTube no longer allows you to change your URL, it is just that random series of characters - which your profile editor for the forums won't accept as a valid YouTube path.

Just an FYI.

so if im interested in a few new channels & i type in ''yout"- in the chrome omnibox ill just have to remember which bizarrre, ridiculously long string matches which user? in other words, this is just another ploy to get eevn more ppl on board with google+ so theyll be forced to get an account so they have any chance at conveniently checking out new content?

i love it!

so if im interested in a few new channels & i type in ''yout"- in the chrome omnibox ill just have to remember which bizarrre, ridiculously long string matches which user? in other words, this is just another ploy to get eevn more ppl on board with google+ so theyll be forced to get an account so they have any chance at conveniently checking out new content?
i love it!

You can still keyword your channel and it can get hit by searches via traffic. But the only way to have channels not associated with a realistic human name now is to have a Google+ account create a YouTube Page and hide the associated email. So yes, it is just to force people to use Google+. Much like all YouTube comments being attached to Google+ now.

I was just letting the admins of RD know that newer Youtube and Google+ accounts can't be linked in the Contact Details part of the forum profile.

@GlitterBomb i just added my youtube in my profile and if you enter the entire URL it doesn't work you just need to enter your user name thats it, for exemple for my channel i simply entered "strongluv9"

Newer YouTube accounts don't get a username URL, that's what my post was about. My URL is a random series of characters, not a username like yours. Newer Youtube accounts do not have usernames, they are attached to Google + accounts. So both get random characters. Only older accounts can have URLs like you just described.

Google has made it impossible to create a YouTube username like the older accounts have, it must be done through Google+ now. Which means we don't get username URLs.

We had this discussion a while ago already. It was made clear that it was never gonna be fixed, though, so Google+ links will just never be available for some users.

Oh, okay. My bad for not seeing that thread. Mods can feel free to delete this one, then. Rather unfortunate that some of us will never be able to link YouTube accounts.

i'm a noob so don,t get offended, how can i find your channel on youtube if you don,t have a user name ?

Just by links or Google putting you as easily searchable under certain keywords due to your traffic. This is why you are seeing more places host their own sites or blogs elsewhere and just embed their own videos instead of hoping people find their channels.

It's also why I have started to only follow Twitter. People will twit their videos regardless.

i'm curious can you try something for me, instead of trying to enter the URL of your channel can you try and just enter your google + name, ok mine is strongluv69@hotmail.com so for me it would only be strongluv69

i,m pretty sure it will work.

and i do agree that its not right you shouldn,t have to have a google + account to have a youtube account but thats how its done now a day and nothing we can do about it.

i'm curious can you try something for me, instead of trying to enter the URL of your channel can you try and just enter your google + name, ok mine is strongluv69@hotmail.com so for me it would only be strongluv69

i,m pretty sure it will work.

and i do agree that its not right you shouldn,t have to have a google + account to have a youtube account but thats how its done now a day and nothing we can do about it.

I've tried it, it does not work. There have been many people complaining about the absurd URLs we are given now.

ok here's the think, i notice something when i click on "my channel" that is located on the upper left side of the page it goes on my channel thats and the URL that show is this one
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UColJ9HJ3nH3qmwaheNLB3Jw
now if i click on the "video" tab kind of thing i now get that URL
https://www.youtube.com/user/strongluv9/videos
strongluv9 being my youtube user name so if you do the same your URL should be similar to mine except that it should be the first part of your google + e-mail adress you use to registered at Google + so thats should be your youtube username that you should enter in your contact for your you tube channel.

ok here's the think, i notice something when i click on "my channel" that is located on the upper left side of the page it goes on my channel thats and the URL that show is this one
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UColJ9HJ3nH3qmwaheNLB3Jw
now if i click on the "video" tab kind of thing i now get that URL
https://www.youtube.com/user/strongluv9/videos
strongluv9 being my youtube user name so if you do the same your URL should be similar to mine except that it should be the first part of your google + e-mail adress you use to registered at Google + so thats should be your youtube username that you should enter in your contact for your you tube channel.

YouTube accounts that are created with Google+ have no /user/ pathway in any URL. It goes straight to channel.

Where in your URL it says "/user/strongluv9/", that does not exist for YouTube accounts created via Google+. For our accounts, they take that long channel URL and just add "/videos" to the end of it.

ok what is your Google + account name ? i assume its an e-mail address or simply a username ? i'm thinking that the first part of the e-mail adress (whats before the @) is your youtube username even if it don't display it so thats what you should enter in the field for your youtube cchannel in your profile.

like i said i,m a noob but its worth the try and if it works we'll know the work around and help other RD members that have the same problem.

ok what is your Google + account name ? i assume its an e-mail address or simply a username ? i'm thinking that the first part of the e-mail adress (whats before the @) is your youtube username even if it don't display it so thats what you should enter in the field for your youtube cchannel in your profile.

like i said i,m a noob but its worth the try and if it works we'll know the work around and help other RD members that have the same problem.

I've tried all of the things you suggest. It always gets account not found. You literally do not have a YouTube account anymore if you create it after the merge. It is only a Google+ account that connects to YouTube. There are many forum threads about theis around the internet, there is no way around it. I started this thread just to let the mods know it means I can't link my G+ or YouTube under my avatar, but I didn't realize there was already a thread about it.

The thread people refer to is the sticky one in the premium forums http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/the-paddock-club.110/

Maybe that helps?

Yes, it helps demonstrate why the YouTube and Google+ one will not work any longer. YouTube accounts generated after the merge do not have a /user/ URL, and Google+ accounts no longer have a URL with the account name in it (used to be referred to as vanity URLs).

For example, if you go on that thread you mentioned and click people's G+ links, you will get a 404 because those URLs no longer function.

Anyway, this thread got way longer than it needed to be. I wasn't aware that it was already a known issue, though I suppose I should have assumed that.

Edit: So apparently I am a silly moron and wasn't Googling the right terms. YouTube has a one-time URL change option I was not aware of. For shame. If anyone references this thread, I'm just going to deny it ever happened.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 93 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 68 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.2%
  • < 5 years