Goodwood Circuit

Tracks Goodwood Circuit 0.99

Login or Register an account to download this content
I loaded up AC again after almost 3 months due to the DLC, but the first thing I did was take the 250GTO on your updated Goodwood :D.

Great work @mantasisg I like the added details, we're getting towards that genuine revival atmosphere :thumbsup:. I saw some comments about the grass being too dark but that is just dependent on the PP filter you're using, looked fine on my end. Looking forward to the next update.

@JayMonkey
Fresh chalk dust everywhere. Must have been an extremely busy weekend for mechanics.

Indeed, The Goodwood revival was always a busy event for us, i don't think we ever had an easy year. Some years we took as many as six cars running in three or four different races. We contested the Aston Martin DBR1 and Ferrari 246S many times in the Sussex Trophy race and won it many times.

The TT was very hard on the cars and has been described as the most expensive grid on the planet ... its the one race that everyone in historic racing wants to win ..

For the first 10 years of the Goodwood revival the TT was pretty much always won by one of the light weight Jag e-types ... or occasionally a Cobra but we persevered and eventually won it with the Ferrari 330 LMB ... (one of only three made) ... I actually cant remember what year that was maybe 2003 or 2004.

Anyway thanks again for your hard work on this ... its pretty amazing for your first Track Mod .. keep up the great work.

Cheers
Jay

While doing some screenshots I have noticed that sides of road are not getting blurred correctly :coffee: Are you aware of that? Is it fixable? Here are examples, I recommend a click to see interesting areas in fullscreen. Anyway, the track is very cool and I enjoy it a lot, especially wet version is something different and fresh. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

No I did not know about that before, haven't tried to do blurred screenshots, for some reason I never have made a single nice blured screenshot straight from AC...

Interesting issue, I wonder if this is only in wet version, or in dry too. Because perhaps in wet version something is going on with transparency, priorities for objects. I have noticed few times before that in wet track those edges kinda "acts a little drunk" when in camera mode and moving the camera.

At the moment I don't know what is the issue. I don't properly understand the transparency in AC. In previous version I had white lines half transparent, and for some reason some people couldn't see them at all.

im a huge fan of this track and i do love it after hundreds of laps the only 1 thing that bothers me is the last the AI just crash into it .this is a urgent fix

You have done an amazing job on this track so far, now to check your update a bit later today ;)

Having been to the Goodwood Revival 4 times already, it's a blessing to find the track actually being accurate for once... i now understand the slipping and sliding around woodcote, lava.... AROUND the WHOLE TRACK! It's just Epic to be able to grasp as a simracer, what the racedrivers feel when they are hanging on the edge of the car's grip to get around the track as fast as they can. It's epic when one finally nails all the corners.... but then next lap one tries different lines and the game starts over again.

A small comment (on the previous version, as i just downloaded your december update!) :
I never realised that the track was this bumpy, or has that to do with the lidar-scan stopping at one point, then starting on the other and the referencepoints overlapping... sort of like seams in the road? it just always looked so smooth when trackside irl.

Woof ~ Woof & Salute! for all the hard work in your free-time.

it's like a simrig, isn't it... it's never finished ;)

Bumpuness really depends, on car physics and speed. Track would look smooth IRL. But in great speeds micro (or perhaps medium?) undulations becomes bumps, which only car suspension can see. Though you can see those bumps IRL when it is a hot day and tarmac is shimmering, creating puddles effect. Or you also can see them in dry night, when headlights creates shadows over those undulations. Also you can point cam very low on the ground by the road edge, zoom in as much as possible, and this would make undulations easier to see as well. As Lilski did in the beggining of this thread.

Track could be too bumpy at places, it also could be too smooth at few places, But no one would be worried about road being too smooth. Thats why track makers makes tracks more on the smooth side, rather than on the rough. I did it differently, and just took the average.

I think few older AC tracks are a bit more rough, for example Magione.

By now, I'm rather sure that exit of lavant has been too smooth since the first version. I have smoothout out slighlty some spots for december update. I also did smooth few little spots for upcoming update as well.

But in general the track really isn't super smooth. I'm more than certain. Some AC cars has rather stiff suspension or/and tires.

And yeah nothing is really ever finished... just temporarily maybe. :)

By today's standards even the stiff race cars from the 70's and earlier are relatively soft in suspension and also tyres which still are quite tall in side wall height.

I bet a modern race car would show the bumpy surface IRL much more than you would think from watching the cars at the Goodwood Revival.

I think that height of sidewalls, really is the main factor there. I think all bumpy cars so far were with low tirewalls.

I wonder if people will still find next version "slightly too bumpy" :) I think that one should be fine. And quite a lot nicer.
Very true .... most historic cars these days are running Dunlop 'M' Section tyres which have high side walls and are quite soft so the tyre soaks up a lot of the undulations and bumps. Also historic cars tend to have much more suspension movement than modern race cars.

When we used to race the Ferrari 330LMB at the TT we would regally adjust dampers and swap the springs for slightly softer ones compared to the setups we would run at Silverstone or Spa .. Tyre pressures also played a very important part in getting the car to the front of the grid.

I once got the chance to be a passenger in a Mclaren F1 road car on a private VIP day at Goodwood ..... and i can confirm that modern cars with low side walls / stiff compounds and suspension really have a hard time at high speed at Goodwood. The owner/driver of the car (who regularly) competes in the Revival commented how bumpy and difficult it is to drive his Mclaren F1 around Goodwood compared to the historic cars.

Further more any car with with High downforce Aero could get very easily unsettled.

I still think that the last version was pretty close to real life and not too bumpy, Those that do find it too bumpy should adjust the suspension settings to make the car a bit more compliant.

To those users i would recommend trying the 2017 Ginetta Mod ... since it relies more on mechanical grip rather than aero it works very well at Goodwood with the default setup and is well suited to the Goodwood Mod. Anyone trying to run a high down force car such as a modern F1 is bound to have difficulties as these cars have minimal suspension travel and very stiff tyre walls .... it simply would not happen in real life.

Please don't take away any of the character of this great circuit by trying to make the surface more suitable for modern race cars that never compete at Goodwood in real life.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Great information, excellent abd amazing post, thanks, Jay :)

I really wouldn't like to regress on anything, I think it will be only improvement. Really gentle changes. Mostly just in a middle of Madgwick - Fordwater straight, and in the braking zone to Noname.

Have to try Ginetta there, I race Ginetta in SimRacingSystem, really interesting and well done mod. FatAlfie recomended to try that car at Goodwood already. Must try.

Haha, maybe so, maybe no. I would say that it is maybe above medium. But I don;t really know how much KG is much, and how much force downwards it gets from the air. But anything since 1970 is basically a high downforce :D

I should have made that a bit more clearer in my post ... my bad.

Jay
Not at all mate, I was mostly joking. If you look at modern race cars alone I would agree they are fairly low downforce. I am terribly slow in all things high downforce and I'm pretty bad in the GT4 cars in AC so my excuse is they are high downforce monstrosities :D:redface:

Have to try Ginetta there, I race Ginetta in SimRacingSystem, really interesting and well done mod. FatAlfie recomended to try that car at Goodwood already. Must try.

2017 Ginetta is one of the best freeware car mods available for AC IMO, like i said its good fun round your Goodwood Circuit and works well with the AI in races.

Having said that the AI does seem to screw up when cars enter and exit the pits .... they seem to suddenly disappear when exiting the track to enter the (extremely dangerous in real life) pit lane ...

Cheers
Jay

Not at all mate, I was mostly joking. If you look at modern race cars alone I would agree they are fairly low downforce. I am terribly slow in all things high downforce and I'm pretty bad in the GT4 cars in AC so my excuse is they are high downforce monstrosities :D:redface:

If you have't tried the 2017 Ginetta car mod then you should really give it a go, its not anywhere near as sophisticated as say the Ferrari or McLaren GT cars in AC. The Ginetta behaves much more like a Historic GT car in that respect with nice predictable oversteer ... which is how we set most of our historic cars up in real life.

You can easily get the backend to step out but its quite forgiving and with good throttle control and bit of left foot breaking you can get some really fast laps in ...

Cheers
Jay

Yeah I had the Ginetta mod and used it quite a bit when it first came out. I much prefer classic race cars though, if I choose a mod car my go to is the Lola T70 mod :thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 390 40.0%