Goodwood Circuit

Tracks Goodwood Circuit 0.99

Login or Register an account to download this content
Here is my best shot at some sort of bump comparison

I think the most important bump is the Madgwick one that people speak of (see inside spoiler)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...motorsport-10th-Goodwood-Circuit-Revival.html
^
There’s the climb at Madgwick, the first double apex after the pit straight, the fast one that turns before you are ready, sucks you towards the outside as it dips in the middle then spits you over the bump just as the exit tightens up. No matter how many times I do it, I always think next time really has to be better. And Fordwater, the plunging sweep that comes after and the place where once you realise you have it wrong, there’s nothing to be done about it.

On Friday the wind was gusting under the Lister’s sleek nose and lifting it across the track towards an exit that rushes towards you at well beyond three figures; on Sunday it was different and the tail was loose. There’s No Name and St Mary’s to follow, then Lavant and another double apex, with a first part that is frustratingly slow; time after time I want to push the pedal that bit earlier but whenever I do the car seems drawn to the kerbs in the middle. Off the gas, rattle the wheels, slow for the second part. Slow for the long straight that isn’t, were you aim for a gap on one side only to find it disappearing; go the other side next time and the same thing happens, all at 150mph and more.

And of course there’s Woodcote. The corner at the end. The one you approach faster than any on the track and which bends, then turns. Stay wide for the first part and you miss the apex that matters. Come in for that and there’s a gaping chasm of wasted road to the left. Go in too fast and you end up on the tarmac that replaced the gravel; I’d have won on Saturday if it had still been there. Only a short blast now to the chicane and the route to another lap; a tight entry between the bricks and a wide exit. The doorway funnels you in, makes you believe the second part could always be faster. Try it and taste the kerbs on the exit. Watch the opposition pull out another couple of lengths..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...odwood-Revival-2011-Nick-Mason-interview.html
^
Does he have a favourite corner? “It’s the one after the pit straight, the double apex at Madgwick,” he says. “You know when you’ve got it right, with that little bump which tells you you’re on line.

“The great thing about Goodwood, though, is that it’s all hooked up together, so the exit to one corner is the entry to the next and so on. My most challenging one is the unnamed right-hander, because it looks daunting, but I always end up thinking I could have carried a bit more speed through there.”

http://www.lotus-on-track.com/circuit_guide/goodwood.html
^
Magwick being the first has a slight up and down approach. From the turn in the apex is a long way round. Be careful of the bump as you cross the track from the turning point to the apex.

^
Madgwick Corner

After the start, you don’t so much turn into the uphill, double-apex Madgwick as feel your way into it. Gently braking and then steering, following the middle of the track at first, then aiming for the kerb at the first apex before picking up the second apex. Heavy, front-engined cars will try to drift wide here, which must be controlled as there is a bump in the middle of the track which will throw the car off line. Smoothness is key, there’s not a lot of run-off (nor anywhere else on the circuit, for that matter) and several priceless classic racers have been remodelled at Madgwick. If all goes well, you’ll be back on the throttle before the apex with the engine roaring and lining up the nose for Fordwater.

Kenny Brack mentiones the bumps and ripples here as well:

I don't really mind if the bumps are smoothed or not as long as the bumps ripples etc do come through, how much they should come through is the big question I guess.

Last edited:
Have to say, I didn't quite get what everyone was talking about to begin with regarding bump - we did quite a few races in the Alfa GTA and I thought it was perfect!

However, yeah, after seeing a ton of different onboard videos or quite a variatey of cars, yeah there are definitely a few bumps that are way too extreme. I'm not saying it needs to be flattened - most of the ripples throughout the track are great, but there are a few pretty wild areas as others have pointed out before that, yeah I just don't see in the videos.

I still enjoy it, and if it hadn't been pointed out I don't think it would have crossed my mind that it was wrong because its a joy to drive in the right cars, but the overall authenticity of this track is so great, that sort of sticks out more.

Regardless, I really love this track, really impressive work so far! Keep it up :D

Oh BTW, pretty please can we have a less bold X on the apex markers in a future build :D
Some of the track side boards are positioned differently in the real video I posted above and the AC one, could be really tricky to get them all placed perfectly though!

This circuit is really coming along Mantas, keep up the good work!! It is surely the best virtual Goodwood ever created and only 0.4 :)

The bumps I am talking about are the ones like the exit of T1 at the 14 sec mark.

Also watch the car to the tree line. There is little to no vertical movement of the car anywhere. Run a fixed cam in AC and watch the tree line bounce around like crazy.

That one in the exit of T1 exists, perhaps I could try to smooth it once or twice, but it is there.

8:35

However, I could agree about outside line between exit of madgwick to the entry of fordwater, maybe it is possible that shadows of trees could have affected the scan a tiny bit, or that it is just a tiny too rough for some other reasons. Other than that I wouldn't say that all undulations are half of inch or so too big... Maybe some are few cm too big, then maybe some are few cm too small, as laserscaning data will have some error. Of course just making the track smoother would be an easiest way, and everybody would be happy about it. i say - don't drive cars which seems too bumpy there and thats all. Absolute majority of cars which I have been testing felt good to me.

I did it feels like its not just the height of the bumps but the sharpness, as if the resolution is too low. Do you plan to fill the infield of the track with more... things? I don't even know what is inside there during a race weekend.

It could use some "local" smoothing at the few spots, but will not do more, I agree that possibly few places might be too sharp slightly. As for resolution - it is high enough, it is directly LiDAR. AC has limited refresh rate anyway just like any sim. I would also don't rely too much on super stiff cars, as thats not really what is being used in that track.

yeah I'd like to fill infield, during revival they do an air shows, and use the airfield, there are lots of planes and helicopters during revival.

Can you move the invisible walls in the infield of the track further inside the infield? If you spin or go off-track you damage your car quit fast which wouldn't happen in real-life

yeah, I should do that

Why are you asking why I voted with 4 starts instead of 5? You have a version of 0.4 which means you yourself must not feel its 5 star quality/ has some way to go to be full release worthy.

I was going to vote it 5 starts..and then I thought about the complaints I see from people, about everyone voting with 5 starts all the time...it kind of makes the voting system redundant ( I can see their point). So I voted it 4 stars. Saving 5 stars for absolutely exceptional /100% complete tracks.

4 stars is like 80%. It's a great track man you did well...thanks.

Last edited:
Why are you asking why I voted with 4 starts instead of 5? You have a version of 0.4 which means you yourself must not feel its 5 star quality/ has some way to go to be full release worthy.

I was going to vote it 5 starts..and then I thought about the complaints I see from people, about everyone voting with 5 starts all the time...it kind of makes the voting system redundant ( I can see their point). So I voted it 4 stars. Saving 5 stars for absolutely exceptional /100% complete tracks.

4 stars is like 80%. It's a great track man you did well...thanks.

Maybe I wont bother voting at all any more if authors are going to question me for giving them 4 stars.
Relax man, he wasn't berating you for voting 4 stars, just asking why - crucial for knowing how to improve. Any rating is fine so long as you explain why you voted it as such, otherwise its not much use to anyone, the creator or other potential downloaders alike.

Voting less than perfect but then saying its great isn't particularly helpful - I've literally seen reviews that say something like "Wow, amazing job, perfect!" then vote 4 stars...

Just had to share this for those of you that made the mistake to not yet subscribe to the official Goodwood Youtube channel

It could use some "local" smoothing at the few spots, but will not do more, I agree that possibly few places might be too sharp slightly. As for resolution - it is high enough, it is directly LiDAR. AC has limited refresh rate anyway just like any sim. I would also don't rely too much on super stiff cars, as thats not really what is being used in that track.
Regarding AC physics rate: Even if the mesh density is higher than what the AC engine uses at typical car speeds, higher detail and smoothness will still result in better driving. Even if the track is bumpy in real life, a higher resolution and thus smoothness per bump reduces the potential for jolt, the derivative of acceleration. So maybe just giving the physics layer one run with a smooth modifier could do the trick.
Unbenannt.jpg

Understand that I have not the slightest idea how your current physics mesh actually looks like, I'm not able to open it :redface:

Just one little thing from me, a complete amateur who does well to manage a lap of a track (any track) on the grey stuff. Is there a problem with the track map? I can see 'me' (the arrow) and the corner names but not the white line representing the corner.

@Alan Jones

Yes I forgt the track map, I always forget it... thanks to @ltcars it is already made now, just have to wait for update, when ? I don't know. But meanwhile you will learn the track.

@AccAkut I could possibly use more of the smoothing at a few places. Mostly between T1 and T2 I think, as in most other parts I'm pretty happy with how smooth it is. Also as i have said there really is one bigger bump right in the exit of T1, IDK, I could use one click of smoothing at that area.

I believe that if some smoothing is necessary, then it is not as much as it might seem to someone.

The reason why I left some places just a tiny bit on rougher side is because if the track is slightly rough then it is possible to improve it, but if it is too smooth then there is no way to bring it back, unless there were backups being done constantly.

Here is one vid which is very good for bumps spotting, IMO it is better to spot from external views than from onboards.

Later i will try to create an illustration map for those who care, about where I could apply more smoothing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back