Goodbye UE4?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I'm no expert on game engines.
Given though that the raytracing isn't being used yet, and given that they already had an engine available to them (AC1), what benefits did UE4 bring to the table?

Given though that the raytracing isn't being used yet, and given that they already had an engine available to them (AC1), what benefits did UE4 bring to the table?
From interview:
"Without UE4 we would never been able to create a complete simulation game from scratch just in 18 month"

They said miltiple times in different interviews :
" if we want to update ac1 engine to nowadays standards and build acc upon it ,we had to stay out of competition for 2-3 years"
Thats the biggest benefit.

• Deleted member 379375

Their argument was that it would allow them to spend much more time on the sim rather than having to split resources between sim and engine.Now they are saying they are also a technology company so it seems they have had a rethink.I was completely open to the use of the unreal engine but in reflection (no RTX pun intended) it's not yet ideally suited to sim racing,it should be said that it does a really good job (in my opinion) on a single 2d monitor setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
From interview:
"Without UE4 we would never been able to create a complete simulation game from scratch just in 18 month"

They said miltiple times in different interviews :
" if we want to update ac1 engine to nowadays standards and build acc upon it ,we had to stay out of competition for 2-3 years"
Thats the biggest benefit.
OK yeah I didn't listen to the whole interview yet but I did hear him say those words near the start. However they are rather non-specific, hence my actual question above :p

I hope they drop unreal. I bought a rtx 2070 for acc especially. It runs fine in offline singleplayer, (3screens) no superb graphics but decent. Went online and it all looked horrible again. The physics though are outstanding

I hope that by the time their nex project (after ACC) is in the works either UE4 is more suitable to simracing and muuuch better performance wise or that Kunos can find a better alternative.

Using a smallish single screen, I think they made the right decision. and I guess guys using a single smallish screen are not the exception. And isn't UE4 brilliant for xbox and playstation and isn't that where they earned all their AC money? I might be totally wrong, though, haven't followed the debate too closely.

• Deleted member 379375

I guess there are areas in which it's better than AC1?

Yes for me AC does better with shadows and AA at the moment and I also have issues in ACC with objects popping into view in the distance but that could be down to my game settings.

Even with forward rendering the VR still doesn't run sufficiently well with exceptionally good hardware. Forward+ rendering is important for VR because MSAA is a good, cheap and effective AA mechanism but it also has to run well enough to even apply MSAA 4x, as is the FPS in VR is sub 90 most of the time. That game just doens't run sufficiently well to be classed as a VR capable title.

I run a 1080 49” ultra wide. I have ACC completely maxed out on all settings on my relatively modest 1080ti / i7 setup. It is night and day between ACC any other sim, just no comparison. ACC looks incredible and is by far the most immersive sim I own. Yes, I still play RF2 and R3E but they’re just not on the same level. Wet weather and night racing in particular are amazing.

For my setup, ACC took a huge step forward in immersion and that’s thanks to Unreal. I’m sorry that others have struggled with the title but it concerns me that they might drop Unreal and maybe halt the progress that they made.

Good riddance to UE4. I hope they move on. It’s been a crazy experiment and one that wasted a lot of hours unfortunately.

Based upon the lack of success of ACC I think they need to start working on their own engine so the next release can be better.

Good riddance to UE4. I hope they move on. It’s been a crazy experiment and one that wasted a lot of hours unfortunately.

Based upon the lack of success of ACC I think they need to start working on their own engine so the next release can be better.

According to steamspy they sold 100-200k copies with a game they made in less than 2 years. I highly doubt this is a "lack of success" for a racingsim with such limited content

• Deleted member 197115

Even with forward rendering the VR still doesn't run sufficiently well with exceptionally good hardware. Forward+ rendering is important for VR because MSAA is a good, cheap and effective AA mechanism but it also has to run well enough to even apply MSAA 4x, as is the FPS in VR is sub 90 most of the time. That game just doens't run sufficiently well to be classed as a VR capable title.
Which UE4 forward rendering VR title did you use?

I run a 1080 49” ultra wide. I have ACC completely maxed out on all settings on my relatively modest 1080ti / i7 setup. It is night and day between ACC any other sim, just no comparison.

Same experience here - until recently my 1080ti was powering my 4K Display, now a 2080S is doing that job. And even with the older card, framerates where very acceptable for the visual detail I get out of the sim. With the 2080S I can run mostly maxed out 4K, and unless I'm in the middle of a bunch of cars, in rain and night, will cap my 60FPS refresh rate on the screen.

Not sure what other benchmarks we have to compare with - it seems to me that the level of visual detail and frames per second is quite on par with most other modern gaming titles, and in comparison looking at current videos of RF2 (which I used to enjoy) that is a generation behind visually.

I do get that UE is a problem for VR and Multiscreens, but whatever they build themselves is going to be a lot of work to get on the same level.

I am VR and fine with UE, it looks better than any other sim and with some engine.ini tweaks, runs perfectly acceptable. Whatever they do, I hope it wont be in cost of the graphics quality as it would be a step back. Considering we aren't going to see their new product may be 2-3 years from now, until then both UE and Hardware will be much better to run VR.

Kunos didn't know about the potential that was still in its initial AC engine. I imagine that if Ilja Jusupov had started with the Shaders patch 6-9 months earlier, Kunos would never have worked with UE4. The Shaders patch for AC1 also showed how much potential there was still to gain in terms of performance after the end of development, only playing with the performance boosters will give you at least 10 FPS more. And on that basis, I could also imagine that there is much more potential for the performance of ACC with UE4, a game engine that Kunos didn't write.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 336 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%