Going from Rift CV1 to Odyssey plus - my impressions

I switched from CV1 to Odyssey Plus and let me share some of initial impressions. Games in which I tested SO + iR, rF2 and Robo Recall

Let's start with Sims (Robo Recall is also a crazy sim) and pluses
- FOV - it seems bigger, but I want to go back to CV1 for comparison, which is related to the resetup, so I will probably describe the impression tomorrow.
- SDE? - I do not see any. The picture is very nice, clear and bright
- Tracking - works great! No problems. Space is defined in the room and SO + knows how far it can move.
- Image quality - a little tweaking is needed. WMR forces (I guess) SteamVR to work with iR. Oculus does not touch Steam VR. In SteamVR I have SS on 200%. I've also turned up the DX11 PP to 150% and the image was a bit fuzzy in iR or over-processed so to speak. Yesterday, with CV1 I set 150% in renderDX11 and it was very OK, so the interference of SteamVR in SS is not just an illusion. So I set PP in 100% DX11.ini and it's fine for me

Cons
- Comfort - there is nothing to compare to Rift. Samsung is annoying and not comfortable. No light leaks. With the Rift I feel that I have goggles on my face. With SO + I feel that I have a helmet, unfortunately. Shades near the nose block free breathing, I'll be working on it to improve my comfort for sure before I give up on SO+
- Sweet spot - it's also worse compared to the Rift, but you can get used to it. In Robo Recall, where the action is a massacre, eyeballs are not turned around - there si no time for it, it is good to aim with one eye only, so for such crazy games, an extensive sweet spot is not needed. It looks different in the cockpit, but I will tell you more when I return to the Rift. Then the final verdict will be concluded.

To sum up - we get a better FOV (I will confirm it again), no SDE (in the Rift it did not bother me, but maybe it will start tomorrow), the colors seem more vivid and brighter, but not significantly as for me. It is bright and nice.

Comfort is not user friendly, you need to get a little workout. Each taking off SO + makes you have to adjust everything again. It has its advantages when several people want to use it. Adjustment is faster than Rift, but rift in this regard is focused on one person. You set belts and fits always. Perhaps over time, muscle memory will do the job for me and the whole process of taking off and putting on will be faster. The ideal would be to have what SO + offers in the construction of Rift.

If you have specific questions - I will try to please your curiosity. Tomorrow I will return to Rift and then I will know which VR stays with me (I feel that Samsung, but you never know)

I did the same. I'm very happy with the OD+ However the SDE isn't fully gone. iracing is worse for it than AC but especially the start screen of a session. I can clearly see the pixels.

If you do a rift/OD+ back n forth the difference is noticeable.

I found it uncomfortable for the first few times and after that, either adapted or it broke in better or a combination of the above.

Upvote 0
I did the same. I'm very happy with the OD+ However the SDE isn't fully gone. iracing is worse for it than AC but especially the start screen of a session. I can clearly see the pixels.

If you do a rift/OD+ back n forth the difference is noticeable.

I found it uncomfortable for the first few times and after that, either adapted or it broke in better or a combination of the above.

When I find sweetspot I cannot breathe, because the headset rests on my nostrils (sort of). If I want to breathe freely and touch the headset I lose the sweetspot.

Upvote 0
To improve comfort of my SO+ and inspired by this product I made my own. It works!!!
Here is the source https://www.studioformcreative.com/

samsung_strap.JPG

Upvote 0
Hi,
My Plus is on order and should arrive in a few days. I also currently own the CV1.
My question is....
Is it possible to keep the Oculus software installed on my system and install the Odyssey software with out problems. Or, do I have to uninstall all my CV1 software, drivers, etc. before installing my Plus.
thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for the article, im not rly bothered with visuals, cable and comfort are probably my priority; while id love to try other headset that my Rift, i think ill wait till rumored Rift S

Upvote 0
Hi,
My Plus is on order and should arrive in a few days. I also currently own the CV1.
My question is....
Is it possible to keep the Oculus software installed on my system and install the Odyssey software with out problems. Or, do I have to uninstall all my CV1 software, drivers, etc. before installing my Plus.
thanks

Yes. There are many good tutorials on youtu.be how to enjoy oculus software with odyssey

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years