Upcoming Events

Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Other regular AC events on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT4 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Daily WTCR races on Simracing.GP

GM moving in a new direction with sportscar racing?

With several changes at Corvette racing over the past few years starting with the departure of crew chief Dan Binks then, my personal favorite, Jan Magnussen and then a true gentlemen in Oliver Gavin culminating with longtime front man Doug Fehan. After all this I expected I would be more upset having been a Corvette fan for as long as I became aware of the wheel, but no. With the announcement of Laura Wontrop Klauser as Sportscar Program Manager and the initial speculation of looking into the LMDh as a possibility as well as stating that racing is in the DNA of Corvette and will continue racing in some form makes me hopeful of the future.

GTLM in IMSA is going the way of the GT1 class did several years ago leaving less than a handful of cars to 'compete'. This coming year will be an almost certainty that a Corvette driver will eventually be crowned champion before the season even starts, and the manufacturer trophy a guarantee. Doesn't bring me any joy in either.

However, what 2022 could bring is GT3 spec Corvettes for the AM and factory rides to a PRO team. Fingers crossed from me this is the case as the GTD class in IMSA and the GT3 in WEC is obviously the future for sustainability of the brand. The LMDh looks equally exciting for the future would love to here some thoughts on that in comparison to the other prototypes.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a Vette GT3 car, even though I would have been even happier if they'd have stayed with the front engine, I simply liked its aesthetic better - but last year clearly showed the potential of the mid-engined Corvette. (I know it's a "what if" but can't help thinking about what would have happened if there's no COVID - nevertheless, the Corvette team showed incredible work, they're absolutely worthy of winning the championship.)

I would also support an LMDh effort. With LMDh IMSA teams can be theoretically - we'll see how the BoP will work out - in the running for overall Le Mans honors and I'm pretty sure GM wouldn't mind being on the top step overall, not "just" taking class honors. Given the LMDh will be both factory and customer efforts as Audi and Porsche envision it, I could see Corvette taking part in that, too, akin to the aforementioned German manufacturers.

As far as GT3 and WEC goes, I repeat the same sentiment as I did on GTP: John Dagys of Sportscar365.com mentioned (if I'm not mistaken) that it also depends on Stephane Ratel as SRO owns the category per se. The alluring prospect of GT3s running at Le Mans (beyond the Michelin Le Mans Cap race) is great but what would be the price to pay in terms of GTWC Europe and the massive field it commands as the major GT3 series.

Reactions: DND
Corvette Racing's return to the Le Mans 24 Hours has been confirmed with the publication of a capacity 62-car entry for this year's rescheduled race in August

also....
Ryan Briscoe will be one of the drivers of a two car team

Last edited:
Corvette Racing's return to the Le Mans 24 Hours has been confirmed with the publication of a capacity 62-car entry for this year's rescheduled race in August

also....
Ryan Briscoe will be one of the drivers of a two car team
Damn! that sounds good.
If we could get half of those sound samples into simracing, I'd never leave my computer.

Last edited: